Another example of the usefulness of shugging muscle

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
HappyHiker

Another example of the usefulness of shugging muscle

Post by HappyHiker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 pm

I helped a friend move yesterday, along with her boyfriend and mine. We are all between 40 and 45 years old, and she had her big, strapping 20-year-old son helping as well. It became apparent quickly that my friend's son and I were the best at moving things. Our boyfriends were really embarrassed when the boy kept telling them to move and asking me (by far the smallest person helping) to grab the other end of a heavy piece of furniture.

My boyfriend was aching and immobile last night. I felt fine and am not sore today. He pokes a little fun at me for shugging, but last night he marveled that such a ridiculous exercise regime (his words) could be so effective.

I use an 8 lb. sledge (started with a cast iron skillet) and am an Urban Ranger. I don't know how I'd do on a fitness test, but the ability to lift and walk with one end of a sleeper sofa, sprint after a lost dog and open any jar of pickles with ease are proof enough for me that it works.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:20 am

Great story!

I think there's no better modern test of functional strength than moving.

Love it that you worked up to this with a skillet!

Congratulations!

Reinhard

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:38 am

awesome!!

exactly the kind of inspiration i need!

(i have been helping out on a festival this summer... quite a bit of work that is like moving furniture, stage equipment and deco, bars, fences etc. around and up the stairs... surrounded by friends who are mostly quite fit and handy men and women... mostly younger than i am... cant say i was among the best but i could really keep up and help out loads... i love that! because im noticing that, beside my actual strength my confidence and enjoyment in doing the heavy activities is increasing... not to mention the lovely connection people have when doing heavy work together...)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Jentaiya

Post by Jentaiya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

I know nothing is always right. Thoughts of people, the truth will come true.