2017 One year No S Challenge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 pm

MaggieMae, as you pass by the break table, put both hands to the side of your face so your peripheral vision doesn't catch it. lol See no evil! ;-)

It's true that we are reducing calories with No S, but it sure is nice to not have to count them. Much better life. Why did I ever leave? ;-)
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 am

You can't tell it has "worked for her" until she has kept the weight off for two years, IMHO. An eaating plan should help the person be content with eating less for the long run. You can't see the long run in a few weeks or months.

Some people are able to use calorie tracking to get an idea of how much food they can be content with and continue with that level, but not many.
they don't have to track forever. I learned about many satisfying meals that I have used on No S during a stint at WW years before.

Besides, why do you have to track calories just to put a little less on your plate, if quicker loss is that important?

On the other hand, there is nothing to say you CAN'T track. Just tracking the calories without determining a preset limit has been shown to have people reduce their eating over time. I don't think it has a lot of adherents, though. And if you would tend to start freaking out over the totals, well...

Is there any reason to believe you'd be able to stick with such a practice? Would weight loss be enough of a reward? What about during times when weight loss slows? Would it still be worth it? If not, don't even start. A good plan has to feel fair even when there is no weight loss. If people are doing No S ONLY to lose weight, their prognosis is likely not very good.

In any case, there's plenty of time down the road to decide to add calorie tracking in. It's WAY too early for that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:00 am

MaggieMae wrote:Help!!! One of my friends at work( who I only work with once or twice a month) came in today looking amazing. She said she's lost 15 pounds tracking calories on my fitness pal. Noooooo! That's always what lures me away from no S! I'm hyperventilating. Ok, not really. Haha. Just wanted to share on here that I am tempted because she looks great . I'm going to drink my water and look forward to lunch.
Been there done that. I lost weight calorie counting. Then I gained it back and more because it's such a pain to count calories. The people I know in person who have calorie counted have all regained the weight plus more too. Don't focus on how the plans help people lose, because there are tons of plans out there that can help you lose weight for however long you are willing and able to stick with them. Focus on whether those losses are sustainable, whether the plan will make you rebel/rebound and gain it back with interest, whether the plan is something you want to do long term etc... The idea that we can lose weight and then go to eating how we want thinking we'll maintain those losses is a fantasy. Evaluate what you are willing to sustain.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:00 am

oolala53 wrote:You can't tell it has "worked for her" until she has kept the weight off for two years, IMHO. An eaating plan should help the person be content with eating less for the long run. You can't see the long run in a few weeks or months.
Yes, this.
Respect Moderation

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 am

Merry wrote:
oolala53 wrote:You can't tell it has "worked for her" until she has kept the weight off for two years, IMHO. An eaating plan should help the person be content with eating less for the long run. You can't see the long run in a few weeks or months.
Yes, this.
exactly!!
i am the one who has lost weight through 16:8 IF and calorie counting and was lucky enough to stumble upon noS just when i was getting sooo sick of it and wanted my life back (after about 6 months of maintaining on calorie counting)... and to maintain at the same time, if possible...
and i even lost some more on noS which, even if i wanted to i couldnt do on calorie counting because on low bmi it means eating so little calories... and when sweets are regularly included in that (which calorie counting doesnt regulate at all) it is hard to feed yourself properly to maintain good health, not to mention sanity...

for me it was an eating disorder red flag and i cant say how grateful i am for noS!!

i remember first time coming here was a bit terrifying to let go of calorie counting and i asked how to incorporate it with noS... of course people told me to keep the calorie awareness but the 3 plates will do the trick...
but now i realise it was just a stage in letting go...
3 plates a day really is enough... and hard enough...
and no sweets during the week...
simple, focus on lining up the green days... and not as easy as it sounds...
with side effect of sanity...
and body fat loss, beyond my imagination...

oh and also, when calorie counting i was losing weight with 500 cal/day deficit - that theoretically meant 1 pound per week... in reality very often less because, of course, i would mess up... and eat more sweets than on noS, which in return would make me more hungry and miserable, too... it was slow with lots of little ups and downs... by looking at my weight and body fat chart of the last 2-3 years - since noS im much more stable...

this is maybe too early to say im maintaing succesfully because im also not in it for 2 years or more... but one year of noSing is in april...
the challenge of healty, happy and stable weight loss/maintenance must be long term... that's why i love that we have this thread... long term focus... :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 am

Merry wrote:Been there done that. I lost weight calorie counting. Then I gained it back and more because it's such a pain to count calories.
Ditto that! Time and time again!
No S Restart 05/22/19

eam531

Post by eam531 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:MaggieMae - It's great that your friend found a way to successfully lose weight that works for her! :) I will say that calorie counting and/or caloric awareness and being on NoS are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I utilized both to reach my goals, and still do to maintain and improve--without feeling like I'm "on a diet." You can't ignore the fact that reducing calories (whether you're actively counting them or not) is the key to weight loss. It's true that NoS is a "normal" way of eating, but in order to effectively lose weight on NoS, you have to reduce the calories you're eating. No way around it!
Oh, I totally agree. But on No S, caloric reduction is pretty darn painless, at least to me--no forbidden foods or tracking intake to anything like the extent that other programs require.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:07 pm

I wouldn't call it painless for me. Just less painful enough to be worth it. (I add that because I know like me some people's definition of painless could make them think it's not working for them when it is!)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Wow, thank you everyone for your insight. So glad I have this thread and forum for support. Kaalii, I think you nailed down my issue and I didn't realize it.... Just the act of letting go of calorie counting is scary. I'm afraid of letting go because I know it works ( when you're doing it). Also, I like calorie counting because I can have sweets every day as long as it fits into my numbers, but...is that really healthy? No. It is not. Especially since I'm one of those people who eat one cookie,and that leads to eating the whole box.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:13 am

MaggieMae, I rejoined No S just over a year ago and earlier today I was looking back at my posts during that time. I was surprised to see that you had messaged me the day before I made the decision to give up No S, and any kind of dieting at all. Here is part of what you posted on Feb. 18, 2016: "I started back in November, and I've gone back and forth to calorie counting and intermittent fasting. After a few days, I realize that I'm not learning how to have a good relationship with food and I can't log calories every day for the rest of my life."

And here is part of what I posted on Feb. 19, 2016, the day after: "I had another "fail", and I've already had a fail this morning. I think I'm going to take a break from any plan for a while and just live my life. I'm so tired of fighting my weight, which I've done through my whole adult life and here I am at my highest weight ever."

Do you know, it couldn't have been more than a few days afterward, I was back to calorie counting and then intuitive eating..losing, gaining, losing gaining...back and forth, back and forth...until a year later... here I am...and here you are! lol

We've got to be here for a reason. I think it's because we know that this plan really makes sense and it's the way back to sanity. Let's determine no more calorie counting. We can do this! :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I had a fail day yesterday, but back on track this morning! I hope everyone else is doing well!
No S Restart 05/22/19

heliz

Post by heliz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:52 am

I'm trying to get back on track too. "Glass ceiling" isn't quite there, but NoS is looking good again.
Slow and steady, slow and steady...
"Acting like the person I want to be"
Start: 188
Current: 180
Goal: 140

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Elizabeth, that's so funny! Let's not give up this time! I had three green days and today was red. Chips and dip are my weakness. Oh well. I'll eat dinner later and get back I. track. Every time I fail, I think about calorie counting to see if I'm still doing ok , staying under my calorie limit to lose weight. But I don't want to live like that.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Heliz..I'm with you. Through the week is no problem. I do usually enjoy a drink most evenings just to take the edge off of the day. But, there's something about the weekend that makes me want to relax about it. ;-)

MaggieMae, I've had three (counting today) bad days in a row. I still fight with myself about not going back to calorie counting. I know me, and while I can lose weight doing it, I inevitably gain it back and then some. But in the past couple years I haven't even been able to lose any significant amount by counting calories. Lose a few, gain a few..always fighting with the same five pounds, it seems. I really want to make No S work, but sometimes I wonder if I'm EVER going to stick to any one thing. It drives me insane.

But I refuse to give up! Hanging in there with you! :D
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:42 pm

If you need some bolstering, consider visiting the thread called "sticky of stickies." It has tons of good reprogramming support. Then get on with life between your meals.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 am

I see I am not the only one to think perhaps I need to add something to No S to make it work( faster) for me. I was curious about my calorie intake, so I tracked my calories the last few days and I am in well within the perimeter my doctor suggested.
Thank you OOLALA for the suggestion to read the sticky of stickies...heading over there now.
Ok, after reading several stickies. I went back to my copy of the No S book. Bottom line,*faster* is not what I am really after, I long for consistency AND I need add in some exercise. I haven't been doing terrible, but it could certainly be better.
I will say that I been less negative with myself since I started back on No S. Small tiny steps...one day at a time..building a sustainable habit!
Vanilla No S ReStart 12/26/16

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 am

ThreeWhales, I'm with you on wanting to build consistency.

Oolala, Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to visit there, too.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:45 pm

By calorie counting, do you mean calorie limits? What changes in what goes on your plate do you think you'd make if you limited calories? You'd likely have to decrease SOME dense calories. Nothing is stopping you from experimenting with that concept without counting calories, though unless you are very motivated, it's not advisable to cut them a lot, so it can take awhile to see the effects. But that would give you time to adjust to the decrease. You might get somewhere in three months that would seem like a real sacrifice to do next week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 am

Just wanted to stop in and say I am still here for the year. I have been posting on my thread, but I consider myself part of this group of folks who are committed for the long haul in a public way.

I have 4 more days to complete my first 30 days of posting and keeping my habitcal. I think that is the way I am going to refer to my progress. If I have to count something, how about counting days (as well as plates). I have had one red for sweets so far and one red for snacks. Exercise goal is 5 days a week...close but not there yet.

Let's stick together. This is the time to be aware of the temptation to drop out. Don't! You will just come back later and wish you had been here all along.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 am

Thanks for checking in. I wish we could organize a way to reach out to others and keep tabs. Maybe a few of the more involved here, maybe five people, could divvy up the threads so there are subgroups of four or five people and check in a couple of times a month?

But maybe it's just par for the group to whittle itself down.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 am

Hi everyone.

Oolala, Yes I do mean calorie limits when I say counting calories. I know what to do to reduce calories, it's just a matter of doing it. I have been filling my plate with too many dense foods. I've got to start incorporating more vegetables. It's the start of a new week, so I'm going to vow at least two low starch vegetables per day. That probably doesn't sound like a lot, but for me, it's a good beginning. (I've been eating a lot of dense foods because of the fear of not making it to the next meal with no snacks.)

I'll also start checking in here more. I do plan to continue this challenge for the long haul, even though I have been tempted to revert at times. I'm vowing to check in at least once a week here. If you come up with a better solution of how we can all keep in touch, I'm in.

TexArk, I love your determination! WTG on almost reaching your first 30 days. I'm hanging in here with you and the rest of the team, too.

Exercise is turning out to be peppered in for me, as well. It's all according to how my back is feeling. I think I may have to pass on it this morning, but may be feeling stronger in a bit. I think I need to find a sledgehammer with less weight. I thought eight pounds would be a breeze, but having never been one for exercise, starting out at 53 years old is a challenge.

Here's to a new week!
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 am

Decreasing dense foods and adding veggies is in effect lowering your calorie limit without having to count them. I think it was fair to load the plates with heftier food before. Perhaps now you can begin being willing to brave feeling some desire or hunger. You don't HAVE to do it every meal. this will likely evolve the whole year and maybe even beyond .(It has for me.)
I think you are pretty much on track, if aiming for habit is an important goal for you. We're not even half way into the third month. :!:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am

Exactly, Oolala. I want to get to the point that I embrace the occasional hunger, rather than fear it. Yes, aiming for habit is my main priority. Thank you for your input.
No S Restart 05/22/19

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 am

I'm still here too. Staying on plan but a harder month with some really tragic deaths by us. So far I've stuck to the plan but find myself wanting to load my plates more since I won't do seconds. Today I even contemplated putting cookies on my plate but didn't end up doing that. I've got cookies saved in my drawer for my next S day and I really don't want to go off plan. But I don't think I'll be losing this month at this rate (and with some vacation days coming up). Just an emotional month...trying to keep that in mind.
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 am

Merry, So sorry about the sadness surrounding you. It is very tempting to stuff down sorrow with food. Hang in there, you're doing great.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:21 am

If it helps, on my emotional days, I add some tacos to my lunch-box, and/or a few dates filled with peanut butter and cocoa powder! A hot chocolate drink (made with just cocoa and creamer - which has a little sugar, but not much) really helps see me through too - a sprinkle of nutmeg makes it special.

Hugs.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 am

Merry, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how devastating the death of a loved one can be. Prayers for you and your family.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 pm

mistake
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:37 am

Merry, I'm sorry that you are having such a horrible month.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:40 am

Merry,
Sorry to hear of the loss of dear ones. I have found that NoS actually helps at such times because you don't have to think and plan and count. Yes, you may put too much on your plate, but I have found it impossible to work other plans during times of grief because they all take so much mental effort. Then all the wheels come off, weight gain ensues, and then it takes forever to get back on track. That is one of the best things about NoS. No mental effort required. No starting and stopping a diet. But you know all this. Hang on.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 am

You guys.......I had a breakthrough tonight! I was really, really craving something sweet and it was snowy so I wasjust in a mood to bake something from scratch. I actually managed to have a cup of decaf and not give in. I don't think I've ever resisted that strong urge to eat before. I told myself, what's the worst that Will happen if you don't get that sweet treat?? I found out that nothing happens! I'm still a little in shock.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 am

TexArk wrote:Merry,
Sorry to hear of the loss of dear ones. I have found that NoS actually helps at such times because you don't have to think and plan and count. Yes, you may put too much on your plate, but I have found it impossible to work other plans during times of grief because they all take so much mental effort. Then all the wheels come off, weight gain ensues, and then it takes forever to get back on track. That is one of the best things about NoS. No mental effort required. No starting and stopping a diet. But you know all this. Hang on.
Thanks everyone--and that's a really good point. I'm sure I'd have dumped a harder plan sometime in the last few weeks!
Respect Moderation

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 am

MaggieMae wrote:You guys.......I had a breakthrough tonight! I was really, really craving something sweet and it was snowy so I wasjust in a mood to bake something from scratch. I actually managed to have a cup of decaf and not give in. I don't think I've ever resisted that strong urge to eat before. I told myself, what's the worst that Will happen if you don't get that sweet treat?? I found out that nothing happens! I'm still a little in shock.
MAGGIE!!!!! That's so awesome, I'm so proud of you! I love it--what will happen? Nothing happens!! Isn't that the truth?! Good for you!
Respect Moderation

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am

Merry, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard month, and my condolences on your family's loss.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Merry, sorry your family has had some sadness.

You're always free to respond to the urges to eat by eating, though it won't get you the habits that you probably want even more. Only you can know if this is a good time to go with the urges or not. You'll likely feel some sadness either way. You might give yourself a chance to find out if that hollowness really feels worse than being very full, but if not, no big deal.

Hope you can stay on an even keel with the habits no matter what the scale says.

MaggieMae, it can be so interesting to realize we can do the exact opposite of what our urges say to do.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 am

So sorry you're going through a hard time Merry. My thoughts are with you and your family.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am

MaggieMae wrote:I told myself, what's the worst that Will happen if you don't get that sweet treat?? I found out that nothing happens!
Awesome!!! I love your thought and will borrow from you. Congratulations on getting through a really tough time!
No S Restart 05/22/19

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Results of First 30 Day Challenge

BMI 32 (Did not weigh at start so do not know about weight loss)
No Sweets - 2 fails
No Seconds - 1 fail
No Snacks - success
No Wild S Days - success
Exercise Days 18/30 (30 minute walks)
NO BINGES!

Will weigh and record again at first of April to start a monthly report.
Goals: Increase number of exercise days and increase vegetable servings.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 pm

TexArk, You're doing really great! I'm so with you on wanting to eat more vegetables. I seem to be all talk and little action in regards to that though. Hoping to change that!
No S Restart 05/22/19

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm

I am doing it the easy although expensive way. I buy those steam in the bag broccoli carrots and cauliflower mixes and sometimes just broccoli. They are making the bags smaller and cost just as much as before, but I eat the entire bag.

Last spring and summer I joined a coop and had a box of fresh vegetables each week. That was a huge mistake. I felt like I had to fix them all because I had spent the money, but I didn't really like most of them. I am pretty simple...tomatoes, squash, tomatoes, and peppers would be about right. All the tougher, long cooking, bitter if you don't add lots of fats greens were just not for me. Anyway, I actually gained weight, because I would not be satisfied and then go scrounging around to find something to eat after all that work preparing the healthy fare (that no one else in the family wanted either).

Nice to know someone else is working on adding vegetables too. I see some of the foods people are eating and think "no way." Sorry, I grew up in Texas with a rancher father. I could never be a vegan.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I grew up on meat and potatoes..and living in the South, our vegetables are usually cooked in fattening casseroles. (Some may argue this, but that's been the case in my family.) There are very few "healthy" cooked vegetables I like. Let's see, there's green beans, broccoli (but with cheese sauce), roasted cauliflower is not bad, but can only take it once in a blue moon, tomatoes, peppers, onions.. I tried artichoke hearts once (fried) and thought they were fairly good, but I can't imagine eating them any other way than fried. I like tomatoes and okra combined. There may be others, but I can't think of any others right now. Oh, cabbage and greens, but as you said, those are best cooked in fats. Edited to add: Squash, usually fried, but can eat it steamed.

I do love the steamers, too. I love to cook diced chicken and mix in those. That's a pretty satisfying meal. :)

I could never go vegan either, but I have tried vegetarian lifestyle before. Not because of health, but because of a video I watched years ago and should have avoided. I couldn't eat meat at all, afterward. It took me quite a few months but I did finally get back to my carnivore lifestyle. There's simply not enough variety without meat for me.
No S Restart 05/22/19

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:29 am

Texark, great job on your first 30 day challenge!
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Way to go texark! Ah, vegetables. I hate them. Lol. I'm from the south and my husband is from New York. He calls my green beans" butter beans" because I cook them forever in butter until they're soft. I can't eat those steamed,hard green beans the way he likes them! Years ago a coworker said that people in Easter Kentucky and west Virginia only eat three vegetables.... Corn, potatoes, and green beans. I started to get offended but then I realized that those were the vegetables my mom Usually served with dinner. Not counting the fresh tomatoes and onions in the summer.... she would slice them,sprinkle with salt and serve them with a pot of pinto beans. Mmmm. Anyway, I have been working really hard the last few years to add vegetables to my cooking repertoire. Those steamer bags have been life changing. I use the broccoli and asparagus ones often. Other veggies that I've made end up in the trash.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 am

LOL on the green beans. Tell your husband that in the South you'll never hear, "Honey, do you think those green beans have cooked enough?" ;-) We cook ours to death (with a little pork meat and/or fat) and they are sweet and delicious!

You made my mouth water talking about the onion with the pinto beans, oh and fresh sliced homegrown tomatoes. Yummy, and always with a slice of cornbread on the side! :-p~~
No S Restart 05/22/19

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:33 am

Yes, the cornbread! I've been wanting to make beans and cornbread lately but husband doesn't like them. He doesn't like biscuits and gravy either! Bless his heart. Lol.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 am

Oh that reminds me of a story about a couple that we are friends with. She is the one from New York and he is from eastern Kentucky. When they were dating, she cooked dinner for him and one of the side dishes was steamed green beans. Being from the south, he couldn't stomach those beans and hid them in his napkin so he wouldn't hurt her feelings. Well, she discovered the beans after clearing the table and got so mad! Thankfully, they went on to get married and have a lovely family.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Lol Bless your husband's heart and the poor fellow who has to eat crunchy green beans.

In the south we like our green beans tender and our chicken crispy. ;-)

You need to cook yourself some beans and cornbread. Yummy! :-)
No S Restart 05/22/19

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 am

I went off the rails yesterday! I may not lose any weight this month because of all the bad days I've had. But it's okay. I am happy to see that I have twice as many green days as red ones. 14-7. I will never give up trying!
No S Restart 05/22/19

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Great attitude, Elizabeth! At least all those green should keep you from gaining, which is a good thing. Who knows, the scales might surprise you.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you, MaggieMae! I so hope you're right. I appreciate the support. :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:30 pm

I think I read somewhere here years ago that there are those who go off the rails and liars. The most important thing is to be someone who gets back on enough until staying on the rails is the default.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Wise advice. Thank you, Oolala!
No S Restart 05/22/19

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:15 am

https://youtu.be/--eC2x5siSg

This is a good video only three minutes long. It shows sample dinners( all single plate meals!) That represent each decade for the last 100 years.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 pm

The first and last dinners looked the healthiest. The spam cracked me up, because we were just discussing it. Thanks for the memories, MaggieMae. I could remember some of those timely meals.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 pm

The first and last dinners looked the healthiest. The spam cracked me up, because we were just discussing it. Thanks for the memories, MaggieMae. I could remember some of those timely meals.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Love it! 1955 blah hehe
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 am

The plates didn't seem to change size much. Most of those dinners looked like too much dense food to me now. And not enough leafy veggies! Until the kale. Guess I've been INfluenced.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Elizabeth50 wrote:Love it! 1955 blah hehe
I bet husbands everywhere wanted to murder the people who invented that.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 am

ROFL Noni, You ain't lyin'! hahaha
No S Restart 05/22/19

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Well,I'm struggling today. Feeling my weight.... Realizing that I really need to lose weight and stop playing around. My mind has been all over the place, wondering if I shouldjump ship. I know thats not the answer. I need ti try harder. My parents are at the beginning of a nasty divorce and my mom keeps coming over or messaging me abiut it. Its all she talks about snd she gets offended uf I suggest she call a friend or one of her sisters. My sonhad a fever all weekend after getting over another bug only a week ago. My stress a d anxiety is through the roof. I feel like giving up but know that I can't let myself get bigger. My clothes are getting snug. Spring is here and I don't look good in cute clothes. I need to try my best this week. And the week after and so on. Sorry everyone. I need some encouragement, big time. I need a vacation away from my crazy family.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 pm

So, to share something funny.... After posting that pitiful post above this one, I turned on a video called yoga for inner peace. Two minutes in, I remembered that I forgot to mail in my son's tuition check. Haha. So much for finding inner peace. I jumped up to turn off the video and the tornado sirens started going off! So. Now we're in the basement watching the news. So, the moral of the story is .... Don't complain because it can always get worse. :lol:

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Maggiemae, You aren't kidding! I hope you all are safe now!

I'm sorry you're struggling. The past few days have been bad here, too, so please don't feel alone.

I hope someone who has more experience here can give you some good advice. Hang in there.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 am

All I can say is if you hold on to those gaps between one-plate meals, you will get to the point at which you may still get the urge to eat over stressful things, but it will also make perfect sense NOT to do it. You will know you feel better when you don't.

Regarding weight loss, No S can't defy the laws of physics, though. If the plate is full of too much dense food too often, no matter what day of the week it is, weight probably isn't going to shift. If you never get legitimately hungry for your meals, unless you are going LCHF, there might be too much on the plate. But you have to be realistic about even that. What would you be willing to eat less of? Why would you be willing to eat less of it on a diet if you can't just choose to do it on your own? If it sounds too unpleasant to cut anything, you may have to try to be okay with your weight until the tradeoff sounds fair. I think this is the major reason traditional dieting fails. People try to commit to them before they really feel like it's fair to eat less or feel they could enjoy eating less. Unless you are in dire health straits, it's unlikely you can force yourself to enjoy eating less. You can just keep trying it out and seeing if you can get over any knee-jerk reaction.

BTW, consider not telling yourself you have to lose weight. What you have to do is learn to enjoy eating less of some things and possibly more of others. There is no losing weight without that, so keep the focus on that, not the weight.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 am

Maggiemae, Now that it's a new day, I hope you've woken up with a new resolve. Like you, I have been thinking of throwing in the towel. But thanks to the neighbors dogs waking me up early, I've had a lot of time to sit quietly and think this morning about my difficulty in sticking with this and thought I'd share with you.

I said that by coming here, I mostly want peace with food, which is true. But let's be honest, I want the result of not eating between meals to result in weight loss, and lots of it, in my case. I'm sick of being "fat"! I loath that word.

I think my difficulty in sticking with it is because I want instant gratification, and give in to the temptation to eat simply to fulfill it, without thinking things through thoroughly. I just do it, then regret it. What I need to do instead is focus on where I want to be and envision myself there, then eat accordingly...as in, no eating between meals, period!, and watch portion sizes when plating my food.

So, this is what I'm going to try and I hope it helps you, as well. When I feel the urge to eat between meals, I am going to focus on a short term goal, 15 pounds lighter, and envision myself there. While I have a lot to lose, 15 pounds wouldn't make that big a difference in my appearance, I don't imagine. But that will put me one step closer to where I need to be. I tend to look at the overall picture at times and it seems hopeless. But by focusing on a little win at a time, I think it would help with motivation to stick to it. So, I'm going to picture myself in jeans that are a little looser, picturing the number on the scale 15 pounds lighter, too. Hopefully these thoughts will give me a little boost when the going gets tough. And if the going gets too tough between meals, milk between meals is "allowed" on No S, so take advantage of it if you need to. In my case, I like V-8. I guess any low or no calorie beverage will do.

I hope you have a much better day of it today!

PS And let's find anything we can do to keep our hands and minds occupied instead of focusing on the urge to eat. Let's set a timer for 15 to 20 minutes and get moving. The craving will probably pass before the timer goes off.
No S Restart 05/22/19

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you so much oolala and Elizabeth! It means a lot that you have taken time to offer me advice. I did wake up with resolve to keep going. I do still eat calorie dense foods. I think I'm still in that diet mentality of I'd better eatall the good stuff now while i can . I am going to work on eating less heavy foods and especially fast food. I know that these things can be worked into NO S but I am using the '' only three meals a day" as an excuse to eat what I want at each meal. I also tend to let myself drink a lot of cslories still. I've almost cut out carbonated beverages which is a huge accomplishment for me. Baby steps. I need to envision myself at some cute little bistro in Paris when I eat and picture what my plate might look like and what my attitude towards eating would be. Enjoying my food, knowing that it will nourish my body because it's not junk food. Hmmmm, so many things to think about today. Good thing I will be driving a lot for work. This might keepmy mind off more unpleasant things.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 pm

I like the bistro idea! I'll use that one, as well!

I have been doing the same with the dense foods. I'm going to start working better on that, too. Our breakfast is pretty standard Southern fare, but I could do much better in the non-starchy vegetable department (or vegetables at all) during lunch and dinner. Not everyday, but hopefully most days!

I hope you have a great day and it stays stress free!
No S Restart 05/22/19

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 pm

I just wanted to post and say that reading through these last few entries has been really helpful. I posted in my own check in earlier about how, 6 months in, my mind seems to be rebelling. I have always, at some point, given in and gone back to all my bad habits on every single diet I have followed. Hence the years of yoyo dieting.
I think it would be really helpful for me, and maybe some of you who are struggling, to focus on the non weight loss benefits of NoS. I have certainly never been so calm around food. I have never stuck to a plan so successfully without feeling deprived before. This is the first time in my life I feel I have found a way of eating that I can stick with for life. (Which makes my rebellious thoughts even more baffling!)
Maybe I do have to accept that this is me, with NoS I can eat moderately, and that I will maybe never be 'thin'. I have wonderful family and friends who love me for who I am. I am probably around 18lb overweight so not a massive amount.
I don't know if any of those ramblings are helpful! Just wanted to say that I understand and am having similar struggles to some of you.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you blue bell! I think I'm at that point where I need to accept that this may be the size I'm always going to be. I need to lose 40 pounds to be in the healthy BMI range but my health is good and my blood work is all normal. Maybe I should aim for sanity and peace right now and letthe other things fall as they may. I can't imagine a life of not thinking about food constantly or planning my next meal or wondering which diet would work faster. The reason i started this challenge was to conquer those thoughts. It's definitely taking longer than I expected!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Maybe acceptance of your size will help you find sanity around food, in time. For what it's worth I still think about food a lot! and plan my next meals carefully, and look forward to them - which I don't see as a bad thing because I definitely enjoy them when its time to eat.
It must be good to know that you are in good health, that in itself is a huge blessing. There's so much pressure around us to look a certain way, it's ridiculous the pressure we and society put on ourselves.
Maybe I too need to let go of the idea of my perfect weight and just enjoy life with NoS as a foundation. :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Bluebell, I know you're right about not focusing on the weight loss aspect. I can't seem to help myself. I really need to focus on making better choices more often, and portion control. I've got to get rid of this diet head!

Maggiemae, So with you on the thinking about food all the time. From the time I wake up until going to bed.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

There is no weight loss without eating differently. Most people don't have weight problems, they have overeating problems. The question is not how do I lose weight, but how do I learn to like eating more moderately? What was so bad about my eating that I want to avoid? Is my weight the only unpleasant part of it? What do I like even better in my new lifestyle? If the new lifestyle just feels like torture most of the time, people won't continue, even if they get a little lift from the scale occasionally.

A person could see even No S as torture, but their odds of having anything else seem better are pretty dismal. Emphasize how much better it is than the options. If it isn't, ask for strength and surrender to the options

If you have health problems, the first question is what do I really need to do to heal myself? Is Vanilla enough or do I need mods sooner? If you're not doing it, ask what's stopping me from accepting how I need to eat to heal myself? Am I in denial? Do I think I'm going to get away with continuing to take risks? Or do I just not believe in the treatment and need to find one I have more faith in? Do I need to go deep for the strength to face my options?

Speaking of thinking about food, it might help to know that on a blog written by a woman who married a Frenchman and changed her habits there, though she hadn't been looking to, she reports that her MIL writes out a plan for the week's dinners beforehand, taking into account what she knows the seasonal offerings in the market are. She doesn't feel bad about planning ahead and looking forward to making and eating the meals. That's part of the pleasure. One of the differences is that they have been trained all their lives to enjoy the food but not to value eating a lot of any one thing or getting very full. I don't want to scare you, but the blogger said that she had to get used to serving about half of what she was used to making for dinners in the States because her HUSBAND said it was too much food at a time. A man wanted to eat less than she did! She described how recently she made TWO meals for them from 10.5 ounces of meat plus the rest of the fixings, which were modest in amount but nicely prepared. That may be the part that you have to practice at, not trying to forget about food altogether. She said it took her quite awhile to reduce the proportions to the right amount. If it took her awhile while she lived right there in the perfect environment, it's reasonable that you're not going to figure it out in a few weeks, or even months. Just try to glorify the successes in your mind and minimize the mistakes.

You'll find that when you aren't full all the time, you feel thinner even if you haven't lost any weight yet. Even skinny people feel fat when they're too full. But it will probably feel foreign not to be as full for as many hours of the day, and you might undershoot and be hungrier than you're used to sometimes. Drink your beverages and be grateful your body can get out its stores, even if it takes awhile for the process to kick in. (I'm just guessing at some of your experiences.)

When you know you are doing your best, and getting over some hurdles, it can make you more forgiving or even approving when you look in the mirror. Also, between those meals, think about what else in life is interesting or compelling. And also what do you appreciate about people you know and like, and not the ones whose looks you might envy? Is it possible they treasure similar or other qualities in you? Go ahead and let yourself think about that. What about your essence, which is beyond behavior? Can you value that no matter what?

And please consider getting some flattering clothes, if you don't have any now. I became good friends with thrift stores so that I could have pants and at least a few tops that fit at each stage. It made a difference feeling like I didn't have to completely hold out on myself until I was smaller. Consider rewarding yourself for days on habit, too.

Reinhard could probably say all this in 25 words. :oops:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 am

I will read your post again, oolala.... a few times actually. A lot of good stuff in there. I was actually just looking online at a dress that I really like. I have been trying to make more of an effort to pull my look together. Including hair and makeup. Which is hard because I'm growing out a pixie cut. That haircut was so easy and stylish but I need a change. I'm sure I'll go back to it in the future. Also, what you said about feeling fat because you're too full....so true! There have been nights recently when I've eaten less heavy meals and I go to bed and / or wake up feeling" thinner". I know it's not weight loss, but it's a feeling of lightness. I want to feel that more often! I was remembering the part of the NO S book where Reinhard was talking about blaming your extra weight on a medical condition or something else other than eating too much. On page 138- " if you can stick with it for six months and not lose a significant amount of weight, then you can plead genetics with clear conscience. And I suspect you'll be at least a somewhat skinnier genetically fat person.". This made me realize that I would actually drop weight incidentally if I just stuck to the habits. However, and this is my big revelation, I realize that most days I am eating whatever I want and just marking a red'X' on my bathroom calendar. I haven't been giving it my best effort. If I put this effort into my marriage or job, I'd be left alone and jobless. I want to give this that fair six month trial that Reinhard talked about. Technically, I signed on for a year commitment, so over his six month trial! Sorry for the rambling! :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 am

MaggieMae wrote:https://youtu.be/--eC2x5siSg

This is a good video only three minutes long. It shows sample dinners( all single plate meals!) That represent each decade for the last 100 years.
What a hoot! I've eaten most of those meals (no spam though, and no sushi!). My mom used to make chipped beef on toast. That was one of my favorite meals as a child, and I don't even know how to make it!

Loved cheese fondue too, but that was party food, not dinner.

I've had my fair share of TV dinners too. My dad had kidney disease when I was little, and my parents did dialysis at home--back then it took 12 hours 3 times a week to do, and they had to clean and take care of supplies etc... on the other days. So, yep, we ate TV dinners sometimes!
Respect Moderation

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:59 am

Maggie Mae, I hope you can find peace with food, and get to that 6 month trial when the time is right for you. When I'm in a stressful time, I am more "letter of the law" --heavier meals, fuller plates--just to keep the habit. I know when I'm ready I can focus on healthier plates or less full plates and lose again. I definitely think this is a process at times. Sometimes I think about Linda (lpearlmom) not losing at all that first year--just getting the habit down. We all come at this differently and from different places. Anyway, know we're here to support you.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 am

MaggieMae, you can't really call that short post rambling! If that's rambling, I went off over the cliff!

Yeah, if you aren't getting to mark green days, you can't really find out what could happen WITH them.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 pm

I hope it's okay if I post something that represents my own bias.

http://eatingless.com/prev/wp-content/u ... e-book.pdf

I actually think it COULD work, but is just as hard as dieting, if not harder, and harder than No S in my experience. Oh, how I wanted to believe it! I could never make myself wait consistently, as I have with No S. It is NOT the way slim societies keep most of their members trim. It is the practice of exceptions, not the average Jane.

Of course, in the United States, practicing ANY moderation is the exception, too. I pray we can all pick the exception we can thrive with and get the support needed.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm reading the Fat fallacy book I ordered. By the way, I bought a used copy and it was signed by the author! Anyway, on page45: " our preoccupation with snacks help explain the most obvious different between the habits of these two cultures. Americans snack all the time whereas the French just eat at mealtimes. By the way, there are nodrink holders in French cars."
Another reminder that it normal to not snack! This book is depressing me a little because it's not just eating three delicious, satisfying meals a day ( I can do that!), it's about clean eating and avoiding chemicals. They're in everything! Makes me feel overwhelmed that I'll ever be able to avoid processed foods. Oh well. I'll do the best I can do and trudge on.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 am

Lol, MaggieMae! I remember reading The Fat Fallacy, and thinking, oh boy, I eat that and that, etc... Just concern yourself with the French/No S habits, and read the chemicals as entertainment for now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 am

Yeah, MaggieMae, that's what I meant about his attitude. If you're not ready for that message, it complicates things. Unless you have some health conditions, let yourself see if you can just work to decrease those foods over time, and increase the ratio of better quality food. My first year, fast food pizza was on my plate a lot. I don't think I've had a slice for more than six months, probably longer. There are so many items that I've forgotten used to be mainstays for me that have simply been replaced. I still like my food! It's been an evolution.

Now, if I go in for my blood tests tomorrow and find out I have elevated glucose, cholesterol, or triglycerides, it's going to get ugly.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Good luck with the blood tests,oolala! If your labs are abnormal I'd say you could definitely plead genetics! I was thinking about that French attitude of enjoying your meals and not eating in a hurry.... This morning my son is asking for things and we had someone scheduled to be here at 9:30 and I was eating an apple in one hand and running around using the other hand to throw toys in a basket so the floor wouldn't be a trip hazard. I'm guessing the French have maids and nannies?! :lol:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 am

Well, I tried a clean recipe. They're called breakfast cookies. Very good! Two ripe bananas mashed, a cup of quick oats and 1/4 cup walnuts. Bake at 350 for 15". It only took 12 minutes in my oven and next time I'll put in half cup of walnuts. Definitely something that you can grab for breakfast that's healthy and filling.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:16 pm

I think the kids have fewer toys? :roll:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:25 am

Merry wrote:
MaggieMae wrote:https://youtu.be/--eC2x5siSg

What a hoot! I've eaten most of those meals (no spam though, and no sushi!). My mom used to make chipped beef on toast. That was one of my favorite meals as a child, and I don't even know how to make it!

Loved cheese fondue too, but that was party food, not dinner.

I've had my fair share of TV dinners too. My dad had kidney disease when I was little, and my parents did dialysis at home--back then it took 12 hours 3 times a week to do, and they had to clean and take care of supplies etc... on the other days. So, yep, we ate TV dinners sometimes!
Growing up in the 50's and 60's, sometimes my mom fried breaded spam for lunch, and I LOVED IT. Haven't eaten it since, but it was never a dinner. It's still fairly popular in Hawaii, as I have a friend from there.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Okay, a quarter of the way through 2017. If you're sailing along, nothing to add. If not, see if you can calmly ratchet up your ratio of success. Even a 20% increase in successful days will be an improvement, and who knows where the momentum will go from there. Keep looking for intrinsic reasons to change your eating patterns and for any proof that life is overall better with the meal structure. Those are what will make sustainability more likely.

But don't forget habitcal.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

heliz

Post by heliz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 am

I'm hanging in there. 4 unsuccessful days in March. I'm not calorie counting as closely as I was before, so my loss is very slight, if at all. Time will tell.
I'm trying not to make too many changes at once. For now, I'm focused on just following No-S. Anything more is just a plus.

Happy April everyone! The sun is returning in my neck of the woods. It's quite nice :)
"Acting like the person I want to be"
Start: 188
Current: 180
Goal: 140

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 pm

I definitely hope to increase my successes this month! Been eating a lot of junk/ fast few the last days and I feel awful. Following NO S makes me feel better than eating like a pig. Dinner tonight will be tricky. Going to book club without having time for dinner. The host usually serves snacks,so not sure if I'll just fill up on those foods or try to pass and eat when i get home, which will be kinda late for me. I guess it will depend on what foods are available.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Your call, MM. Also, seeing the contrast in how you feel is one of the greatest motivators and reinforcers. Magnify it in your mind and minimize any pleasure you get from the offending foods. Go for the green.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Well I've had the stomach flu all week. Feeling much better today but still running to the bathroom( sorry, tmi). I haven't been thinking about NO S at all, just eating or drinking what I can when I can handle it. This week will definitely be a wash. I'm afraid to eat because I don't want to make things worse. I had lunch yesterday but since then I drank Gatorade to keep from getting dehydrated and this morning I'm sipping herbal tea. Guess I just mark S for ' sick day ? My brother is coming into town and spending the night and I'm leaving tomorrow for a girl's weekend. Hoping this finishes running it's courses before tomorrow.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Now that you mention it, I don't know what you call it except a sick day. I guess it's NWS, but it doesn't seem like it should count as the two allowed ones , Probably a good idea to be gentle with your tummy for a bit even when you feel better, which I hope you do soon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

So, week before last, I had stomach flu. What does someone who's dieted their whole life do after recovering from stomach flu? She weighs herself, of course! Last Monday, I got on the scale, and I was UP a pound. I know weight flucuates, but after having diarrhea for four straight days, wouldn't you think it would fluctuate down a little?? Good grief. Anyway, that sent me into a tizzy and I ate whatever I wanted last week. I even went to the store and stared at the diet pills. I didn't buy any. I was feeling so hopeless. AND just to make life a little crazier, my parents who have been married for 47 years separated last weekend. My mom moved out. We've been busy helping her move and adjust and they are driving me crazy. I would give anything if my husband worked for a company that had multiple locations so we could move far, far away. When did I become the adult and my parents become the children? I have so much anger and anxiety. I had to go to the doctor and get a new, stronger anti-anxiety medication. What parents cause their kids to go on medication just to deal with them!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
So, from the No S book, page 142: " Stress and craziness seem temporary. But they're really kind of permanent, with intermissions. It's important not to get into the "as soon as things calm down I'll do what I should" mentality because things never stay calm for long, and so if you think that way you'll never do what you should. "
Need to put that on my bathroom mirror and read it 50 times a day! I hope all of you are having a wonderful Easter/Sunday!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 am

Now, I hadn't remembered that from the book, and boy, ain't that the truth. It is a drag about your parents, but you do know the real truth about them and anxiety, right?

I'm back on drugs, too, as an experiment, but I don't think it's going very well. Last week, I took a Xanax from a very old prescription along with the new med and it did NO good at all. I had a big meltdown that very morning, right when the pill should have been doing its magic. Good Lord! WHAT is going to cool my amygdala down? I KNOW it's an inside job, but it is a helluva a tricky one and will be until it isn't.

But I don't eat over it anymore, even though it still occurs to me. Bad juju. But it took a LOT of burns to get that perfectly clear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Oh, Maggie, so sorry! That sounds so stressful. Good quote, excellent thing to remember.

My in laws divorced after thirty years of marriage, over twenty years ago. Which meant that my husband and I have had to do the errands and emotional support because there were no other siblings nearby and they didn't have each other any more. So, not helping, am I? I can only think it's overall better than the misery of an unhappy marriage. But it does sound really hard on you.

I find No S sort of comforting under distress. As in, whatever else is happening, I have this nice little practice of self-care. Maybe keeping the habits and not worrying too much about weight loss is where it has to be right now and you can work on getting the scale numbers down later on. Best wishes!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

oh, sorry to hear about your parents, maggie!
i'm 1000km and 2-3 countries away from my family and they can still feel so demanding and children-like...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you larkspur and kaali, for your kind words. Oolala, I am sorry you had a meltdown! Is it related to your job? I hope you find a way of getting things controlled. It's a miserable feeling when your mind is working against you.

I've been reading about how fasting is showing promise in controlling MS symptoms so this was day three of 16:8 intermittent fasting for me. My hope is to work up to doing a 24 hour fast once or twice a week. It's funny, but Iam having no trouble ignoring the physical hunger while doing these short fasts but while doing vanilla no S I can barely make it from lunch to dinner! The" fast" they used in their research was a three day fast every week : day 1 was around1,000 calories and day2-3 was around700 calories. That sounds too complicated and restrictive for me. I'm hoping intermittent fasting will provide some health benefits. I'm mainly trying to control my MS pain without taking otc pain relievers every day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 pm

MM, a worthy use for a diet or restriction.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Yes it is! That' s probably why I'm having no trouble complying. I stand to get some health benefits instead of just weight loss. I haven't seen any research on 16:8 helping MS as much as longer fasts but it's a good place to start.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Does anyone know if16:8 intermittent fasting is as beneficial as 5:2? I looked on Google but so far don't see any helpful articles. Kaalii, I know you said you still use16:8. What keeps you doing it?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Weight loss alone rarely serves as a successful long term motivator.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

vmsurbat

Can I join in?

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 am

Hello, hello! Can I join in? Longtime No-Ser (8 years!) and due to health issues the past year (hormonal, hurt foot=less movement) and a lack of mindfulness, I've gained 10 pounds that I don't need. I don't have any other check-in, though I've always visited the boards daily. Just never visited this thread because I generally don't do "challenges."

However, I think I will enjoy the challenge and encouragement in this thread... I'm so tired of near-daily headlines on how impossible it is to lose weight in general and especially as a menopausal, short, middle-aged lady with Hashimoto's.

Fortunately, I've never tried another diet, so don't have to fight the siren call of a "better way" because I *know* NoS is the best and most sane way of eating.

Anyway, I recognize a lot of the usernames here and hope to contribute my own 2cents when it is actually worth something!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I recognize you, too, vmsurbat! I stay around because I just like the zeitgeist, if I may use that term here. Lost all my weight since age 56 and more in the last six months (making changes for other reasons).
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23