Please Vote: Company BBQ day tomorrow- S or N day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

S or N day?

N Day
56%
S Day
44%

Total votes: 9

lagflag

Please Vote: Company BBQ day tomorrow- S or N day?

Post by lagflag » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Just started yesterday the NoS. so far so good. Tomorrow is a company bbq day (buffet style) with deserts.
My options:
- Fill up 1 plate and take the desert home for the weekend
- Consider it a S day, after all it is a special day that happens once a year?

Thanks!

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

I'd call it an S-Day, and just not go overboard (i.e., keep it "Sensible"). You might also consider exchanging it with an upcoming weekend S-Day, to keep it limited to two days out of the week.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Well you're officially allowed up to two S weekdays each month, so it kind of depends what else you have going on. If you think it would ease the pressure to take an S day then go for it, in the past I have made the mistake of thinking 'I don't need an S day I can just fill my plate' but when I'm in that social situation I don't actually want to stick to one plate!
So best to assess how you think you'll feel once you're there, and make a decision based on that.
That's what I'd try and do anyway! Sorry it doesn't give you a clear yes or no!
Good luck I hope you enjoy it whatever you decide :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 am

im voting it an N day because i love the feedback of the red days telling me how my lifestyle might be influencing my habits...
with it being an S day on my habitcal it just blends in... red is showin me the "extra"...
but that is just me...
i totally get the motivating part of planning your parties and not making them a red thing... that can be demotivating for someone...
for me red days are not demotivating, quite the contrary... they are a clear sign...
that allows me the S days to be a blur... but a blur contained to weekends and very special days... the rest is clearly red...
we are all different...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 am

I personally don't like taking extra S-days unless it's a Holiday like Christmas or a family birthday party. BUT, I wouldn't be above trading it for an S day on the weekend.

It's not like Reinhard went up the mountain and brought back stone tablets with NoS rules chiseled on them.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 am

Welcome!

As it is a rare occasion, and you're just getting started, if you want to take it as an S day I would go ahead.

I would definitely not "trade" a weekend S day for it. Once you're in a "bargain / trade" mode, the simplicity of habit is gone. If it is my birthday on Wednesday, there is no requirement that I make Saturday an N day. Reinhard has some good things to say on this in his podcasts, Episode 13. Essentially his approach is that you don't "make up" for things later on.

After a few months of No S, you may find you are having lots of these kinds of exceptions, and your non-weekend S days are more frequent than you would like. In that case, you can decide to tighten up on your definitions. But I wouldn't worry in your first week.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:52 am

My suggestion would be to make it an S day but contain S eating to the event. Make sure you don't snack in the morning beforehand, or have sweets or snacks later in the evening. Remember the S day is fr the BBQ, relax at the BBQ but keep to the rules for the rest of the day. That should give you a good balance.
I CAN do this.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 pm

When I was new to No S, and I didn't have two NWS days in that month yet, I would make it an S day. But as I continue on, I have to side with kaalii here, and make it a red, just so I can assess the info on weight gain, reflux, etc...

But let it be known, I would definitely eat more than one plate, along with dessert - if the food is worthy - and only at the BBQ, then mark it red.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

lagflag

Post by lagflag » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks everyone, I fond that the food is not that great (good but not great) so I decided to stick with my NoS (N day). On my way out I was sure to take the sweets as a reward for the weekend :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 am

lagflag wrote:Thanks everyone, I fond that the food is not that great (good but not great) so I decided to stick with my NoS (N day). On my way out I was sure to take the sweets as a reward for the weekend :D
Sounds like a good choice!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:26 am

I hope it all went well.
Just chiming in after the fact to say "S day" hands down. I love big social events where I can graze with impunity, knowing I have those extra 2 NWS days per month. This type of bar-b-q is the perfect use of that!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".