Coffee Cake Checks In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Coffee Cake

Coffee Cake Checks In

Post by Coffee Cake » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm

What? I shouldn't have a yummy name for my diet log-in?

Newbie here. Have been lurking around here since Friday and am officially taking the plunge today. It is a holiday today, but I'm going No-S anyhow.

I have been on every mainstream diet except Atkins. Just try to pry my bread out of my hand. I'm usually successful for a while and then get rebellious about the counting or rules.

I have about 30 pounds to lose, having already lost 10 and regained 3 on my own over this summer.

Today is Day 1. It's 10:25 am and I am missing my mid-morning snackfest. I ate a slightly larger than normal breakfast in an attempt to stave off a bagel attack and I will do my best to persevere.

carla70

Post by carla70 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi - I am fairly new to this too. I have been on every diet imaginable, most recently weight watcher.. but i'm with you and got tired of the counting. I too am not counting today as an S but as an N

Good luck to you!

I am recommitting AGAIN today! I have abou 30 I would love to lose.

hikermom

Post by hikermom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Welcome, Coffee Cake. What a sweet name. :wink:

I wish you the best of luck.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:49 pm

Ditto!!! LOL..

Nice one Coffee Cake!
Does this mean you will only post on S days???
Heh...

No really!
Good luck and welcome :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Coffee Cake

Thanks

Post by Coffee Cake » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 am

Thanks for the welcomes!

Day 1 is completed, or at least the eating part is officially over for the day. I'm calling it a qualified success. We did go out for Mexican at dinner, but I ordered reasonably ungreasy and uncheesy soft tacos, only ate 3 chips from the basket, ate 1/3 of the rice and none of the beans. I think that still counts as a single plate of food, albeit a pretty full one.

More importantly and most amazingly, I did not snack between meals today and I did not eat sugary stuff! I don't remember the last time I didn't have a midmorning nibble and an afternoon nosh and a bedtime snack. Bedtime's still a few hours away, but those tacos are taking up space, so I'm good.

Coffee Cake

Day 2

Post by Coffee Cake » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Day 2 Success!

Difficult, but done. No sweets, no snacks, no seconds. Three biggish plates of food. I assume I will figure that out. I am trying to throw at least one fruit or veggie on every plate.

Off to make breakfast now. :)

Coffee Cake

Post by Coffee Cake » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Day 3 success. Had a noon appointment to work lunch around, but managed.

Coffee Cake

Post by Coffee Cake » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Middle of Day 4: Abject, self-immolating failure. :evil:

Begin again tomorrow.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:03 pm

Welcome and don't forget the 3 successes. Also part of the journey. Hang in there.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Coffee Cake

Back on the Horse

Post by Coffee Cake » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:01 pm

Back on the horse. Yesterday was a success.

Today is an S. I'm making cake. A small cake.

Thanks for the cheer P-sue.

Coffee Cake

Post by Coffee Cake » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:50 pm

First No-S weekend. Two S days, but not at all an orgy of consumption.

I didn't make the cake, since my kid ate the last of the eggs. I had a little more wine than 2 glasses a day and did not watch the clock like I did last week on S days. And I had some cookies & milk. Otherwise I still ate pretty much the same amounts as during the week.

Back at it today. Hoping to go 5 straight this week.