Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharon's daily check-in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharon227

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good way of putting it, automatedeating! The sensible, not-overly-restrictive boundaries are there. Even though I'm not making very healthy choices this week, at least I'm not pigging out on crap and my portions are reasonable!

Happy New Year to you as well!

I had an S day today and finally had some of those cookies that have been sitting on the counter all week. I sat and enjoyed a few small ones with my husband as we had a cup of tea in the late afternoon. I did have a tiny piece of one walking by the bag, but I decided I didn't enjoy it nearly as much that way. So I didn't do it again. Not because I couldn't -- it's an S day, I could have -- but because it didn't really make sense to. Big habit change for me.

We also had the pastries after dinner. More specifically, my husband and I split one single-serving tart, along with another cup of tea. I love tea, but rarely even make time for one cup, let alone two. Ah, the joys of being off from work for the holiday week!

The pastry was good, but also rich. I didn't have any urge to pick at part of another one. That is really new for me. Old me would have kept picking at other pastries in the box.

I made a healthy mushroom soup (with light coconut milk instead of heavy cream, and it also had carrots and celery in it) for dinner, to go with salmon burgers and roasted broccoli. A lot healthier than lunch, which was rather heavy Chinese leftovers (chicken with cashew nuts. Yum.)

I generally don't make a big deal out of New Year's Eve. I have completely gorged on crap in the past, though (chips & dip and M&Ms have been 2 staples throughout the years), but this year's theme will be moderation.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck tomorrow!

When you put "M&Ms" I immediately had a craving and decided I'd better not buy those tomorrow. Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked Cool
Soprano

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've developed some great habits Sharon, well done

Jx
sharon227

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. You and me both, automatedeating. I was thinking to buy some peanut M&Ms for New Year's. (I'm not big on the regular ones, but am addicted to the peanut ones). But as I thought more about it, it's probably better if they're not in the house. We'll have chips (which I've never really lost control over the way I do with sweets) as well as veggies and dip. And those cookies and pastries, plus whatever company brings. Seems like enough. Good luck to you, too!

And thanks so much for the encouragement, Soprano!

I went out with my husband for a Japanese lunch, which was reasonably healthy - a single "Bento box" plate. Dinner and tonight will be a different story Smile

Good luck to all of us as we end the year, and start a new year continuing our NoS habits!
sharon227

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, New Year's Eve was definitely an overeating experience, although not a complete pig-out. Not having peanut M&Ms in the house was a wise choice.

I had some chips, some dark-chocolate-and-nuts trail mix, 2 bowls of healthy soup, 2 dinner rolls, and a slice and a half of pizza for dinner, 2 glasses of bubbly, and cake for dessert. Geez when I write it, it sounds like a complete pigfest. But it's a lot better than many previous years.

I had leftover pastries last night, otherwise ate reasonably OK.

Had an incredibly strong urge for some more pastries today. I mean really, really strong. I WANTED THOSE PASTRIES. I went back to my apple cider and reminded myself that an S day is coming soon. Sadly, the pastries probably won't be good anymore by then. Although maybe that's a good thing.

My husband suggested we have them tonight, forgetting that I don't do that anymore. Boy I really want a cup of tea and a pastry. But I want even more to build my moderate-eating habits and not go back to the way I was eating before. So, I'm here checking in instead.

Think I may go make a cup of herbal tea.

Hope everyone had a good New Year's holiday!
Octavia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - to replace a craving for pastry with apple cider! That shows real strength, Sharon! Sounds like you are really in the No S zone.

Hope you have a great weekend.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you used your check-in thread at a time of temptation. Very excellent use of the forum. Smile
sharon227

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Octavia. I guess part of me just needed "something, anything sort of sweet" and was satisfied, even if another part REALLY wanted those pastries. And thanks, automatedeating, I do find the forums a great place for self-accountability but especially support!!

I got sick Thursday night, including a really upset stomach which sadly did not seem to affect my appetite too much but did make me feel very miserable. I had no appetite Thursday night, but that was after dinner so not much help. By Friday I was hungry but couldn't really face eating too many things. One sign that I'm sick: seeing a Godiva bar in the fridge made my stomach turn.

I ended up having "snacks" -- bland cereal and ginger ale, plus Saltines -- but Reinhard did say in the book we have permission to break the rules if we're truly sick.

So I've been eating a lot of Saltines, bananas, and French toast w maple syrup. Basically lots of refined carbs with little redeeming nutritional value except for the bananas. And I haven't exercised for the last 2 days. Not a great start to 2019.

I'm debating trying to go to the gym today to do a bit of light treadmill to see if it will make me feel better or worse. Not exercising in the winter makes me feel lousy, and it this point I'm not sure how much of feeling crappy is that I'm still sick and how much is that I've been laying around like a lump.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick Days are S Days! No doubt about it!

If you get to the gym and you don't feel like exercising, just sit in the hot tub. Laughing
sharon227

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, automatedeating! I was thinking about the hot tub! But then the idea of hair possibly being still damp and going out in the cold made me decide not to.

I did light treadmill - no incline, no jogging, just varying between 3.5 and 4 mph - and a little stretching. Was good to get moving a little but not too much. Back home I had a whole grain roll, then another roll with some turkey, did manage a little salad,a little fruit salad, then a bunch of Saltines while watching NFL playoffs. No interest in potato chips, so clearly I'm not 100% better Very Happy I'm actually ready for bed but will go back to the couch and watch some more football with hubby.
Octavia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you’ve not been well, Sharon. Hope you feel better soon.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon - I did a "guided meditation" today! It was 5 minutes of breathing (4 seconds in, hold 7 seconds, 8 seconds out) and it was great! Thank you for the suggestion.
sharon227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Octavia! I'm slowly improving, but still don't have all my energy back.

Really happy to hear about the meditation, automatedeating! I decided to increase from 3 to 4 minutes today Very Happy I got a bit fidgety but plan to stick with it.

I felt well enough to want some of the frozen Yule log waiting for me. Had a very small portion, and it was too much for my still sensitive stomach. Just as well.

Made myself chicken vegetable soup today, and that was a good choice for dinner. Zero exercise, though, I just stayed in.
sharon227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the holiday period ended up an utter nightmare. I just went on the scale, and I'm up a LOT. In fact, I'm only down 2 lbs from when I started NoS in May. I can't begin to explain how upset and disappointed I am. I suppose it's better to be starting the year down from 2018 at all instead of up. But 2 lbs in 7 months of NoS? That sucks.

OK. So what have I learned?

* It matters how much and what I pile on my plate, not just that I'm not snacking.
* My S days need to be more moderate than they have been.
* Refined carbs on N days are probably a bad idea, even if they're not sweets.
* My little "modifications" when virtual plating are probably too much food.

I'm going to stick it out through May and see what happens.

Sad
automatedeating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you gain over the holidays? I couldn't tell from your posts.

I know I'm becoming a broken record, but weighing more regularly prevents the unwelcome surprises.

Oolala has given such great advice when faced with these disappointments - observe with calm curiosity what effects various food choices have on your weight. Then we can respond with a plan.
sharon227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks automatedeating. The sad story, via my Excel tracker:

If I'm honest with myself, I can't say it's a huge surprise. I could tell this was happening from my waistline. This is just confirmation.

I didn't really gain all that much - about 3.5 lbs. The problem is that I haven't lost all that much since May, so that's over half of what I worked so hard for months to take off.

You're right. Weighing every day is too compulsive for me - I become hooked on validation from the number. But skipping for almost a month isn't a great idea either. I need to stick with my original plan to weigh Tuesday through Thursday every other week, holidays or no holidays.

I do like that advice from Oolala, thanks for posting it. Basically I need to drastically cut down on the refined carbs. And I've known this for some time, long before last year. Following NoS rules won't change that. That spare tire around my middle gets a lot more noticeable if I add refined carbs to my diet. A few days of Saltines and ginger ale really didn't help. I'm going to need to figure out something else when my stomach is upset and I feel like crap.
Soprano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a shock but you have plan, don't even think about putting an end day on it, it's a journey and a lifetime plan, you have the tools you need and the changes you are going to instigate are your choices from learning. Much better than diet imposed ones as they will stay with you.

Big hugs for the disappointment though Smile

Jx
sharon227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Soprano. I appreciate the virtual hug! (And need one)

You have a point about the end date. Thing is, at some point I have to decide if this plan is working for me to reach my goal, if not quickly, ever. I'm really disappointed, to say the least.

I was following the rules more seriously today. No nibbling as I put nuts in my breakfast thinking "They'd fit in the bowl anyway." The whole point is to see what I'm eating.

I had fruit and plain Greek yogurt for breakfast. I love cut fresh fruit and plain Greek yogurt, the issue with that is more time cutting up the fruit in the morning (cereal is SO much faster). Leftover homemade soup for lunch. Tasty but not enough without having some bread or something else. I needed a small half glass of cider for "snack."

Salmon burger on whole wheat roll for dinner along with some salad (and oil & vinegar) and a pear for dessert.

No exercise again today, I'm still not feeling great. Off to bed.
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just discuss this "plan working for me" a little more Smile

If you stick to the plan it does work for you, you have proven that. What you have just learnt is that if you revert to old habits the weight comes back. That will happen on any plan.

I'm guessing your issue is with the slow weightloss, if you are thinking that you would have lost more in the run up to Christmas and that you might still have overeaten but would now weigh less bear in mind our bodies are complex so firstly you may have gained more and secondly if you had been in proper diet mode you might have found it harder to get back on plan and thus gained more still in January.

The way I see it your alternatives are a restrictive diet, fasting or intuitive eating.

I'd avoid a diet at all costs, from what I've gleaned fasting has some real positives but has some potential negatives. I do think it could become a tool to help you though. But use with care!

I'm thinking your next steps should be to look at intuitive eating, read some books for example Beyond Chocolate, if you can find it the Manorama formula. Don't stop Nos in favour of these but I'm sure some of he reasons I found Nos so successful was down to the fact I had already done some work in this area.

Just for the record Nov 23rd I reached my lowest weight for sometime 10.2.8 ( a stone since March) Dec 4th it was 10.4.2. This morning I felt I needed to see the Christmas damage 10.4.6. it's my belief some of the increase before Christmas was a normal fluctuation. I didn't follow any rules from the week before Christmas until last weekend.

For me that's a real result. What I'm trying to say is my overeating at Christmas was much more normal overeating like thin people do at feast and celebrations than bingeing from feeling deprived. You need to address how you use food as a treat or emotional crutch. I found following intuitive eating didn't work long term as I struggled to know when I was hungry and what I was hungry for Nos takes away that problem The rest of IE is valid though.

Really hope this helps

Jx
sharon227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the additional thoughts (and encouragement) Soprano. A key point is "if you stick to the plan." If I stick to Weight Watchers it works. If I stick to South Beach it works. But I didn't. If I stick to NoS it works also, but more slowly. Which is OK if I truly can stick to it for life. But can I stick to it for life? I always think I can stick to every plan forever when I start off enthusiastically. If I'm honest with myself, it is still too early for me to know for sure about any plan after less than a year. I'll have to see how it goes when I hit road bumps.

The no snacks and no sweets on N days seems doable long term. There are Europeans who eat like this all the time. I'm still not sure about the only one plate and no seconds, though. No soup before the meal? No salad on a separate plate? No small plate of fruit for dessert after dinner? I need to find my way on that.

Anyway, looks like some of the weight gain was a bit temporary due to all the refined carbs I had over the holidays and when I was sick. This morning showed a bit of a better story after a couple of days of healthier choices.

It's really interesting how I can feel my waistline getting bigger as I gain weight after just a short time of eating a lot of refined carbs. I know that fat around my middle is the unhealthiest of all. I truly need to cut back on refined carbs for good health, not just weight loss.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon, I love your graph!

I found that Vanilla NoS doesn't work for my height/age/gender, whatever. Starting over a year ago, I began eliminating processed foods from my diet. That helped - I think I lost 5 pounds between Jan and March. In July, I began limiting my carbs and that has done the trick. But you have to get over the fear of saturated fat and the siren song of "whole-grain" to embrace my way of eating. Laughing My carbs come in the form of dairy, fruits, veggies, tortilla chips, and occasional bread. I eat more carbs on S Days, just as I'm enjoying fun foods. Definitely no more pasta, and I don't even miss it. I don't feel bloated or crampy, and I finally lost weight easily. I also get to eat until I'm full and satisfied and I love my food. Of course, my motivation was not weight-loss originally - it was blood sugar control and blood pressure reduction. That was probably why I finally gave it a try.
sharon227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks about the graph, automatedeating! Very Happy I'm anal enough to be tracking and graphing in Excel.

And thanks for the advice on foods. I'm pretty sure that Vanilla NoS won't work for me either. The promise that I could eat anything in moderate amounts without snacking was really appealing, but I think I knew deep inside that wasn't going to work for me at this stage of my life. Twenty years ago? Probably. Not now that I'm older.

I'm a firm believe that different people react differently to foods, and there isn't one list of foods that are problematic for everyone.

If I pay attention, I can usually tell what foods I should take a break from. If I can't stop eating them, I need to pause for awhile. Or if I don't feel great after eating them. Some breads, even whole grain, are like that. Others aren't.

Full-fat dairy is often too much fat for me, I just feel heavy. Some is wonderful and fine. Interesting what you said about pasta. I've had whole wheat pasta and feel OK afterwards. I'll have to pay attention if I try white pasta again, although I'm guessing I shouldn't. Bagels with refined flour generally don't make me feel so great after eating them. I really do need to pay careful attention as I'm eating.

I had more cut fruit and low-fat Greek yogurt for breakfast. Yum. Salad with small amounts of chicken and feta for lunch. Grilled chicken wrap for dinner with a pear for dessert. Will see about the pita for the wrap.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you will find the right combination of foods that helps you feel full and satisfied and that works with your weight-loss goals.

Just look at the Excel graph! With that kind of commitment, I'm sure you'll find your way. This really is a journey, and there are new surprises around every corner.
sharon227

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, automatedeating! Clearly I'm still learning. And one thing that seems clear is I need to pretty strictly limit my refined carbs on N days. And shouldn't go hog-wild with them on S days either.

I probably ought to stop whining about having gained weight over the holidays. Maybe half of it was temporary based on the flood of refined carbs I had because of my stomach bug last week and over the weekend.

oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goes on the plate is a bit of an art. (And the placebo effect can come into play. Fun, huh?) Nothing to do but keep going forward and enjoy every bite of what we DO eat. 😀
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
sharon227

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good point, oolala. If we're not enjoying every bite of what we eat, why bother?
sharon227

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that I need to add Saltines to my list of things I should just not start eating at all. Good grief. Who binges on SALTINES???

I thought I’d have some chicken salad with crackers. I ended up eating an entire package of crackers and more. To think of all the really good foods I could have had instead, with all those carbs and calories wasted on that crap.

Very very disappointed in myself.

Well, hopefully a lesson learned.
ladybird30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some food scientist no doubt spent many hours working on the exact amount of salt to add and the right degree of crunch so that Saltine eaters would do exactly what you did.

So we shouldn't be too disappointed in ourselves. We are up against the big guns.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - it is an S Day. Smile

Oh - and I'm right there with you for being able to eat a whole package of saltine's. Smile
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do that. Well, maybe just one sleeve. But that was in addition to other stuff. Particle foods! It's so easy to just pack them in.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
Particle foods! It's so easy to just pack them in.

Yes.
sharon227

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so comforting to know I'm not alone here! And that's what I meant, one "sleeve" -- one full, long, paper-wrapped stack of them from the box. Not, fortunately, the whole box.

Bingeing on chocolate somehow seems more understandable than bingeing on crackers. But you're right, ladybird. Some food scientist probably did spend many hours formulating the exact amount of salt, texture, and crunch to make me lose control. Another good reason to not start with them anymore.

Today it was bread. Mix of whole grain and refined grain sourdough. Not quite as out of control as the Saltines, but I had 3 or 4 slices when one really should have been enough. Fooling myself that since I was having healthy homemade lentil soup for dinner, it was OK. But that was not OK.

I really do enjoy my food more when I know I'm just having one portion and I work to savor each bite. Yet here I am eating too much on my S Days, as if winter famine is right around the corner and I need to prepare.

Oh well. My NoS is still a work in progress. And the short dark days of winter are more of a challenge than I'd hoped. But tomorrow's an N day and structure returns. Thanks very much ladybirt, automatedeating and oolala for the support and encouragement.
sharon227

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bread problem is temporarily solved. Day-old sourdough bread is not nearly as tempting as fresh. Had a slice with my salad at lunch and didn't feel the urge to have more (not that I would since it's an N Day).

Saltines are off limits now for N days and possibly S days too unless I'm sick. I keep reminding myself what ladybird said: Some food scientist probably designed them to be as irresistible as possible. I should think carefully about things that were engineered to wreak havoc in my brain.
sharon227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting into an interesting routine. After I splurge on sweets/snacks/refined carbs on my S weekends, Mondays are a little tough. I typically need to turn to some apple cider to get through the period between lunch and dinner. I get out of the habit of not being full all the time. Now that it's Tuesday, I'm OK again with 3 meals and no juice between them.

I waited too long to have lunch today, though. It was after 2 and I was ravenous. Just got too busy at work. I definitely need to prioritize taking breaks to eat meals when I should, without working at the computer, like a civilized person.

Had a salad with some grilled chicken for dinner, along with half a pita bread, and an orange and small piece of low-fat cheese for dessert. Very fulling and satisfying. Old me would still be hungry after that. So, progress continues, if not the speedy weight loss of my dreams Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: