Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chain of Command - Is anybody out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
used2bskinny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Chain of Command - Is anybody out there? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone is still trying this system, but i am going to give it a try and like the designations: Producer, Director and Actors.
Spudd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it for a while, but fell out of the habit, unfortunately. Right now I'm flirting with a system called "Autofocus". It's not really working for me either, though. I need to take a day and just figure out what the heck to do, how to do it, and set up my environment for success.
reinhard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am (see my "tasks" tag in my habitcal) -- though I've made some modifications since the original podcast after a rough patch last fall.

I'll do a fuller write up (or perhaps an update podcast) soon, but basically here's the status quo:

Daily Soldier: On N-days, 2-column yellow index card task list (work and personal). I was overloading myself with the 3 columns -- worked great (for >2 years, actually) until the proverbial shit hit the fan. I'm hoping the 2-column implementation will be more crisis proof (it certainly feels more relaxing, and I think just as productive now). On S-days I keep one undifferentiated list (same as before).

Monthly Officer: same as described.

General: conceptually what I described in the Big Picture podcast (same 4 columns) except I've drastically reduced the amount of stuff I have on it. No more tiny font -- it gets too overwhelming. Normal font size is a useful sanity check. I also use google docs instead of microsoft word, a spreadsheet instead of a "document," and print it out in portrait instead of landscape (obviates the need for splitting each logical column in two -- not ). I have a color printer at work and highlight high priority items with yellow cell background -- this gives an additional dimension to the spreadsheet (placement gives logical organization, color indicates priority). I try to keep the yellow to a minimum.

A few months ago I put together a rough "chain of self command" home page with a brief overview of all the subsystems and links to the relevant podcasts. It needs some updating to reflect my recent refinements, but it's possible you'll find it useful as is:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/chainofselfcommand/

Reinhard
used2bskinny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Chain of Command Reply with quote

Thanks. I like the general idea but it seems very complicated on the special page you have set up. I am thinking of using this system to cut back on my two glasses of wine per day. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: