LK's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

moderatemeals

LK's daily check-in

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 am

Hi -
Just a quick introduction. I'm not new to No S and have posted a few times before. I love the No S way but have been slipping a little lately and want to renew with a green 21 day streak. I find that it helps with my problem - which is emotional eating and some binges -- to just give up snacking and eating sweets during the week. My problem is not horrible but definitely something I'd like to work on. My biggest struggles are the dinner hour and every hour until bedtime!! I think I eat about 75% of my calories during that time! I also tend to start snacking around 4pm and then ruin my dinner and then feel guilty after dinner and then figure I've already blown it so why not wash it down with some ice cream and cookies. And so the cycle continues! So, I'm going to start tomorrow and try for all green days which would bring me until May 3 as my first goal! I will post my meals as well as success/failure at the end of every day to stay accountable.
Good luck to all reading!
lk

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:34 pm

How's it going? Have you had any success?

I have definitely done the binge thing. I eat two cookies and then go back for two more and then I figure I may as well go ahead and eat the whole pack.

I hope you have success.
Starting Stats: April 15, 2011 ~ 35 yrs old ~ 5'2~ 165lbs ~ size 12/14

Goals
1. size 6/8
2. to wake up and go through my day without obsessing about food or weight

gk

Post by gk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Lisa--

Good to see you on the board. I noticed you said you'd post daily and haven't since your first post this time around.....you struggling as much as me? Every time I start, I have tons of enthusiasm and willpower and then I suddenly fall off the wagon. Very frustrating.....I've fallen off the wagon and jumped back on so many times I'm getting whiplish!! At the moment, I am definately OFF the wagon! Too embarrassed to even go back to my daily post. I just dropped out. :oops:

I told myself that I'm just DONE with dieting and will just try to watch it (apparently, I just can't do this like back in November). But, I find myself browsing the No S bulletin board anyway......like I just can't let go of this diet for some reason. Even after all of my failed attempts.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello and wish you luck. If you're doing great - Keep it up! And if you're not? Don't feel bad.....you're not alone!! :)

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am

Gk & Simple Life -
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really struggling this time but am not giving up. Sadly, I haven't had a day yet where I haven't broken down and had a snack or sweet so I haven't posted yet. I've been a little more stressed out lately for a variety of reasons and my way to relax at night is to have a snack. It is so numbing for me at the moment but then of course I feel badly afterwards. I know if I can just get a few days in a row under my belt then I will feel so much better and it becomes so much easier. My other struggle at the moment is that I've incorporated running into my schedule and I know that makes me hungrier (I run 4-5 miles 4 days a week). I'd really like to stick to plain vanilla because there is less room for interpretation and a slippery slope! Plus, it is so much simpler....but not sure if that is realistic on days that I run.

Any suggestions out there is always appreciated!
Lisa

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Write about the failures, as well as the successes! Admit to not bring perfect, but keep going.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks, Who Me. I am going to start logging my days again even if they are not perfect. I definitely think I struggle with not being perfect and then giving up so I'm going to commit to at least 21 days of logging....and hope they are perfect, but settle for good ;)

Lisa

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:32 pm

In some ways u sound a lot like me. In the past I would try to change my habits but I would get discouraged and quit because I could never be perfect. I also never kept up any daily record of any sort for very long until habit cal. Habit cal takes seconds to do and provides such a graphic picture of your progress.

I can be a lot closer to perfect at vanilla no s than anything I have tried before, and I keep up with recording it because habit cal is so quick and easy. Easing up on expecting perfection is happening gradually.

Good luck!

PS. I only do my daily check in when I feel like it...when I have something I want to say. My advice is do habit cal every day but do not worry about daily posting.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 am

r.jean -
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggest -- skip daily posts unless I have something specific to say and keep up with habitcal. I like that idea -- thank you!

Lisa

moderatemeals

Day 1: Success!

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am

Just a quick update...
today was my first day of vanilla no-s and I'm happy to report I've made it through the day. I am so happy. I am always amazed too at how good I feel when I eat 3 decent meals and no snacks or sweets. I wish I could remind myself of this during my moments of weakness because I feel so much better living this way. A bold statement to make after just Day 1, but I have had success in the past and I am reminded of how much this way of life agrees with me.

Now hopefully tomorrow will go the same way!

gk

Post by gk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:13 am

Hi Lisa-

Doing great! Keep it up!! :)

Hey, was wondering if you got my message? I sent it, but it's saying my sent box is 0% :?

Greta

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:32 am

Nicely done!!!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for words of encouragement, gk and who me!

I woke up feeling great and feel very motivated again today. I am always amazed at how much my eating habits affect my mental state! I also slept better than I have in a really long time. I'm just going to try and repeat it all again today!

gk -- did not get your msg! can u resend?

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 am

Another successful day! I'm not sure why I am so determined to make it stick this time but it seems to be clicking for once. It was so hard not to start snacking at 4pm today but I kept thinking about the freedom I feel when I get the rules in place. I thoroughly enjoyed my spaghetti and meatball dinner and didn't think about anything other than how good it tasted. Ultimately, that is why I keep going back to No S. It really does create a freedom from obsessing over calories, fat grams, etc. I love that part of it.

Am planning on going to bed early tonight....always helps me a bit when I am trying to get back on track.

Good luck to all!

gk

Post by gk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:43 am

Good job! You know, we always seem to be in sinc. I remember the last time we were both really into No S, and I have a feeling that we've finally (FINALLY) gotten back on track! Even though it's early, it just feels different this time for some reason, ya know?

I don't know if you browse the bulletin or not, but have you seen the post about eating slowly? I tried that today and LOVED it. Took the same 30 minutes for my lunchtime, but made myself put down my fork between each bite and really pay attention to the taste, texture, etc. I spaced out my meal for the entire 30 minutes. I was so much more aware of the food, enjoyed it more and felt more satisfied on much less food. I know some days it won't be possible to take that much time for a meal, but I plan to do it whenever I can. I think that'll be a big help for me! Try it! :)

Keep it up! You're doing great!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 am

Just wanted to report I had another successful day. The past 3 days have been so much easier than before. I think I just have gotten to a place where I'm sick of talking about it and just want to get on with it!!

I thoroughly enjoyed my pizza tonight at dinner. It was wonderful to have that feeling I always get when I do No S -- I truly enjoyed my meal without guilt. I am going to continue posting for awhile because I am hoping that by writing all my feelings out on a post, it will reinforce how good it feels to eat this way. Yes, I would love to have a sweet treat right not, but I'm just going to wait until Saturday when I really can enjoy it without feeling guilty.

I also am finding my mood is much better. I have slept better the past two nights as well.

I'm just hoping I can keep it up. I never understand myself....why would I want to start a binge when I feel this good when I eat this way?!

ljk

gk

Post by gk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 am

Lisa-

So glad to hear you're doing well! I really do think the posting helps. I think we've both stopped in the past when our red days started to increase, but that's when we need to be posting the most! Everyone here is so nice and encouraging, and they all know exactly what we're going through, because they've either been there or are right there with you. Plus, all the ideas and suggestions really help!

You're doing great! Of course, you can keep it up. And even if you have a slip-up, you can just check it and move on. (I'm trying to get myself to remember this as well!)

Have a good day! :D

Greta

gk

Post by gk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:03 am

Lisa-

Thanks for popping in at my check-in - always a nice way to start my day. :)

Hope all is still going well with you!

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 am

Today wasn't really a complete success but for me but there was a small victory. I broke down around 8pm for a few bits of baked oatmeal in our frig and then decided it wasn't worth it. I actually threw the rest out. I really, really hate doing that because it is a waste of food, but I am so wanting this to click this time that I don't want any temptations around.

Normally, a few bites of anything would lead me to a journey through the pantry, refrigerator and freezer looking for more sweet treats, but I stopped at the bites of baked oatmeal. I realized afterwards I really run on complete autopilot once I start snacking. So, that was my minor victory today. I was able to stop after some bites and before any damage was done. Even though I did not have a perfect day like the 3 prior, I decided to post and move on. I am not giving up this time!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

Lisa-

Good for you! You know, I think it's so much harder to stop at one than to not eat a treat at all. Show's your willpower is getting stronger and you are committed to making a change!

I'm also so glad you posted it.....marking it down and moving on. I really do think that will help us this time around....to post the good and not-so-good days (however, I consider that a good day as well! After all, you just had a taste.) I think we'll do better sticking with it when we don't feel so down after one little mishap.

You're doing so great! Keep up the good work! :D

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Ugh. I have to mark today as a failure. Started at lunchtime because one of my kids took an apple from my plate and I replaced the void with Doritos. Then I ate some fries in the car because I took my daughter to the dr and we went through McDonald's drive through on our way home because it took so long and I didn't have time to make dinner. I then had dinner but snacked on some granola immediately afterwards and then picked at scones that were in the frig.

I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I actually had a slightly stressful day (all minor issues but waiting in the dr office for over an hour with sick child didn't help matters either!) I definitely used food to numb everything when I got home.

But, I'm not giving up! I had 3 green days this week and 2 reds. I felt GREAT on those green days and even better when I woke up the next morning. I'm going to shoot for 4 green days next week (or hopefully all 5!) I still feel better than I did a week ago and I'm not going to eat anything more tonight. I want to wake up and feel good. Fortunately, I stopped the binge before it got out of control but I feel like I still have been on shaky ground since yesterday.

Anyone out there reading have a good suggestion for managing end of day stress? I thought about having a glass of wine but don't really love wine and probably not the best habit to get into. I've got 4 kids so I can't do anything like working out because I've got all the kids to get to bed. I just really want to find something that will help this end of day tension I feel that leads to snacking/binges. I'm pretty much perfect in terms of eating until 4pm, so why can't I keep it together until bedtime?!

Hope everyone else had a good day!
Lisa

gk

Post by gk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:28 am

Oh, Lisa....I SO know what you are going through in terms of snacking after a long wait at the doctor's office with a sick kid. I've lost count of all the times I have come home and BINGED after an endless wait with little ones at the doctor's! Food is always the first thing I want to turn to whenever I've had a stressful day. Hard habit to break! Plus, I find it hard to stick to rules when your schedule is out of whack because of things coming up (i.e., sick kids, unexpected errands, etc.)

You know what I noticed though? How much better you sound this time around. You had a stressful day and had to mark a failure, but you just marked it and moved on and are still very motivated and okay with the ups and downs of dieting. That's awesome! Not to mention that you could've easily decided to go ahead and snack all night since it was already marked as a failure (something that I've done many times!), but you stopped!!! Good job!!!

I have a feeling that very SOON you are going to reach your goal of many, many greens on your calendar! :D

If you find a way to beat the munchies after 4:00, let me know!! That's definately my downfall and I have yet to find a cure for it.

You are doing so awesome!! Enjoy your S weekend - you definately deserve it!! :)

gk

Post by gk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 am

Hi Lisa--

How was your S weekend?? Mine was a slowly-accelerating binge-fest (see main bulletin board "too many mods?") for details.

Hope you had a great weekend. That's plow right through this week with a bunch of greens, shall we?? 8)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue May 03, 2011 12:36 am

Monday -
So happy to have another green day under my belt! Definitely helped that I'm a little under the weather and don't have the same appetite as I seem to this weekend :wink:

Kept it simple today....3 plated meals and ate while sitting down. I feel great and am aiming for all 5 green days this week.

gk

Post by gk » Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 am

Lisa, sorry to hear you're not feeling that well....so, are you in the midst of being "one stomach flu away from your perfect weight??" :lol:

You are doing so great!! I can just hear the change in you this time around....you seem so much more at ease with it all and much happier.

Hope you like the color green, because I think there's gonna be alot of it on your calendar this month. :D

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 am

Another successful day and ate very healthy as well. I really wanted a sweet around 4pm but resisted! I'm going to bed early because of this darn cold I have..definitely not feeling well.

I'm very hungry right now and am considering a small bowl of Cheerios and since I am sick, I am going to still call it a successful day even if I decide to have it. I just don't want to wake up from hunger tonight!! I think technically sick days are 'S' days though I am not looking at it quite like that but also want to listen to my body.

gk

Post by gk » Wed May 04, 2011 1:28 am

Good job on another successful day! Hope you feel better soon. :)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Well not a success today unfortunately :( I was great up until 7pm --ate 3 very healthy meals and then the anxiety took over and I caved in for a piece of mediocre chocolate and some chocolate chips.

Back on the wagon tomorrow and hoping I can at least get to 80% green for the week. I'm going to try something new tomorrow. 5 minutes of peaceful meditation when I wake up to try and focus on being calm and peaceful throughout the day. Not convinced it's going to help but I'm going to give it a try. I feel like I've had a lot less patience with my kids and when that happens, my emotional eating tends to spiral out of control.

Hoping for a better day tomorrow!

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 am

Lisa-

You know, I had been debating on starting to count my days again (to 21), but I like your idea of just terming them a good or bad day and leaving it at that. I think that helps take the obsession part out of it. Then, whenever you do have an unsuccessful day, you don't feel such a disappointment at having to "start over". It's just a day that wasn't as good as you'd like, but you'll try again tomorrow.

With that thought in mind.....you might not have had a clean, green day, but you'll just try again tomorrow. No worries. 8)

However, I have noticed (with both of us actually), that when we DO have red days, we are able to have a little sweet and then STOP. To me, that is quite an accomplishment!

We ARE doing better this time, aren't we? We should give ourselves a big pat on the back. :)

Have a great day today. :D

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 am

Well I can't say today was a success but I'm also thinking of it more like a sick day. I finally made it to see the ENT because I've had a bad headache since Sunday and I suspected a sinus infection. I've also had an on and off fever all week. He ordered a CT scan and found out that my sinuses are majorly inflamed. He prescribed a heavy duty steroid that I will be taking for the next 5 days that should reduce the head pressure. I am very excited about this because I've felt pretty horrible all week. He also recommended surgery because my sinuses look much worse since my last visit 4 years ago.

Long story short, my eating was all over the place today. I can't say I overate but I did have some sweets -- few m&ms, starbursts, couple of chocolate chips. I didn't eat as much at any of my meals though so I don't feel stuffed or anything....just not as good as when I eat 3 healthy meals a day. I didn't binge which is a big plus for me because normally given a day like today, I would be eating way too much. So that is a small improvement for me.

I'm marking it and moving on. My plan for next week is to clear our the cupboards after the weekend of potential sweet triggers in the hopes that I can have a better M-F/week! I'm thinking there is no reason I need to have any of it in the house M-F while I'm trying to create a better habit for myself. If I don't have it around, I definitely won't leave the house to get it!!

I still feel really good about the No S thing and I feel like my approach is much healthier. I'm definitely not obsessing so that is a plus. Now I just have to get more green days!

gk

Post by gk » Fri May 06, 2011 1:20 am

Lisa-

So sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble with your sinuses. I hope the medication gives you the relief that you need. You shouldn't have to "grade" yourself this week, because of all of the S Days (sick). But, kudos to you for keeping on top of things even when you didn't have to!

I think that's a good idea to keep all the temptation out of the house during the week. They say having to drive to the store to get a treat when you're craving it will usually discourage any cheating. Well...having to load up four kids in the van to go to the store when you're craving it after an already busy day will definately discourage any cheating, don't you think?!?!?

I really think keeping the obesession of trying to do it perfectly OUT of the equation is KEY to long-term success with this, don't you? I think we are finally on our way! :D

Hope you feel better soon. Take care!!

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat May 07, 2011 1:15 am

No success to report today and still a terrible headache. I'm supposed to be feeling much better by tomorrow night from the meds I'm taking so I'm just going to mark this week and move on.

My only change in plans is to remove sweets from my house next week M-F so I don't have any temptations. I want a full green week and a sugar detox!

ljk

gk

Post by gk » Sat May 07, 2011 1:35 am

Lisa-

Ouch! Bad headaches are a bear to deal with anyway...I can only imagine how it hurts to have a sinus infection. You poor thing! Yes, I definately think you deserve a sweet here and there to get you through it!

You are doing great! You could have turned this week into a free-for-all, considering you weren't feeling well, but you still were very mindful of what you ate. Good job!

Hope your meds start working soon!! Have a great weekend!

Greta

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue May 10, 2011 12:39 am

Success!

Feeling much better today and more motivated. Hoping for a 100% this week but will settle for 80% :wink:

I'm trying out a new strategy and will let you know how it goes. I found a photo food diary app for my iPhone. I'm taking quick pics of all my meals each day. It forces me to make a full plate ready to go before I start eating. I think it will help define a start to my meal. Many times, I start with a bite or two from the pot or pan before I make the plate and then continue to pick before I actually sit down. We'll see if this helps at all....if nothing else, it's kind of fun to take the picture!

Good luck to all!

gk

Post by gk » Tue May 10, 2011 2:26 am

Way to go! :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 am

I like the photo idea. Very clever.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 am

Tuesday: Success

Yeah! I'm at 40% for the week and feeling good. My little iphone app is fun to use and it's helped mark the start of a meal for me. I need to actually make the plate and then stop to take a photo of it before diving in. I think that helps me slow down a bit too which is something I've always struggled with during meals.

Today I enjoyed all my meals and didn't give a second thought as to how many calories or whether or not it was a healthy meal....that is one of my biggest benefits with No S....true freedom from not thinking about what I'm eating as much as enjoying it.

Tomorrow and Thursday tend to be my really hard days in terms of straying. Just trying to stay positive though and aiming for 80-100% this week.

Good luck to all

gk

Post by gk » Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 am

You're doing great!

If you ever start to feel like you're wavering later in the week, I'd review your check-in from today and yesterday as a reminder of how great you feel when you stay on track. You sound very upbeat and ready to tackle the challenge ahead. Good for you!! :D

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 am

Success!

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Awesome job!! :D

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Well got to Thursday and then caved in!! Nothing major but my day was thrown off because I had a breakfast out with friends and that threw me off a bit. I had cereal for dinner and didn't take one photo of my meals today. I actually really like snapping a quick picture....it forces me to slow down and be conscious of what I am eating.

Back at it tomorrow...still doing better than last week and despite a minor setback, I am not upset or depressed about not having a perfect week. I actually feel like the mental aspect is clicking a little more for me this time!

Thanks gk for the encouragement! :)
ljk

gk

Post by gk » Sat May 14, 2011 2:39 am

Glad to hear you're clicking more with it this time (me, too!). It's so much nicer when we're not dealing with the emotional ups and downs of dieting, isn't it? Just takin' it one day at a time.

Have a great weekend!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat May 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Thank gk!

Well, Friday wasn't successful either but I'm at 60% for week which is better than last week. I noticed this week that my successful days were those in which I photo logged my meals. I think that really helped so I'm going to aim to do it more next week. I didn't binge last night but picked a bit after dinner and had two pieces of chocolate plus a few chocolate chips. I'm definitely happy with how it's going this time around and even though I wanted a perfect week, I'm content with the fact that I didn't binge and I'm feeling very good this morning.

Have a good weekend!
ljk

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue May 17, 2011 12:58 am

Success!! Tired and hungry but happy.

gk

Post by gk » Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Lisa! Glad to hear you're doing great! Sounds like maybe your schedule has been kinda crazy too lately. Something about this time of year....school activities wrapping up, lots of things to attend for the kids and some sports ending while others are starting. Crazy busy, but lots of fun. Hope you finish your week with lots of green. :D

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am

Tuesday -
Fail
Had a small bowl of cereal after dinner. Wasn't really hungry but really craving something sweet.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Struggling a bit. Didn't overeat yesterday but a weird schedule and late dinner made yesterday difficult for me to follow No S. I should have just stuck it out but didn't. Today, I was great until lunch and then didn't sit down and kept snacking afterwards. Now, I feel lousy and don't feel like having a good dinner. See how it just starts to spiral out of control?! I just need to mark it and move on and really try to follow more closely. I'm just going to keep reminding myself how good I feel when I follow it!

Good luck to all!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 am

Success!

gk

Post by gk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 am

What a good way to start out your week! :)

gk

Post by gk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 am

What a way to start out your week! :)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 am

Success!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 am

Fail...just on a handful of cereal and a bite of a muffin, but wasn't really hungry so definitely not a success today.

Heading out of town so probably won't post until next week.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi Lisa-

Just popping in to see how you've been doing.....how has No S been treating you lately? Hope you a great time on your trip!

Take care-

Greta

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:57 am

Me again! How's it going? Your schedule still pretty crazy? That's always been such a challenge for me.....trying to stick to a diet when my schedule is either really busy or varies so much. I'm slowly learning that as long as I have my three meals and a snack, it doesn't have to be at a certain time....I can still stick to this!

Hope everything is great your way. Take care!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.