Anna's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anna

Anna's Daily Check In

Post by anna » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:17 am

This was my first day, felt very hungry in the evening, even sick but I didnt budge. Good lesson for tomorrow, bigger portions!

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:32 pm

No budging? Sheesh - you have an iron will! Good for you!
~Christi~
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

day 2 and 3

Post by anna » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Not so much iron will here I'm afraid, otherwise I wouldn't have become fat :(
Day 2 and 3 haven't seen any problems, although I have had to declare today an S day as I have received my A level grade: an A grade for Maths! Yippee, University will start in a month time. I am going to study Mathematics to hopefully become a teacher, can't wait.
We're having icecream for pudding and later on we will join our friends up the road for some champagne.

Bye :D

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:53 pm

CONGRATS!!
Cheers to you. I think S also stands for special days. Just don't over indulge and you won't have to pay for it later.
This is going into my 5th day here... It's going ok; better than I used to eat but still off the mark. Glad you haven't had many problems. That should keep it easier to get through. But we gotta watch out for the hard days; that is where we always messed up before and got fat.

Good luck to you at University and teaching. YAY!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:45 pm

Hope your weekend goes well for you! Enjoy!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

day 4

Post by anna » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:06 am

Have been feeling quesy all week and headachy. Fortunately the headaches are now a bit better and perhaps the nausea comes from trying to slowly stop my antidepressants. I have been on them for five years after a serious nervous breakdown but I feel strong and happy now so I think now is the time. However, I still want to eat. My mood has seriously improved over the past two days, perhaps because all of the toxics are leaving my body (snack, sweets). I do find myself wanting to eat in between but I'm trying instead to make meals nice. Yesterday we had sticky rice and stirfry (with sesame oil and soysauce) and I really really love that. There was some sticky rice left in the sauce pan and I really had to control myself to not eat that last bit. Fortunately I had to go out and so I just put water in the saucepan and left. So far so good, but this is usually how it goes. The first two weeks are fine and then the problems start. :P

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:13 pm

Don't psych yourself out if you eat some sticky rice or have a less than perfect beginning Anna!
NoS really is different!!!
I didn't do it completely perfectly for the first year, and I'm not even doing it perfectly now (pasta stuck to the pan last night didn't make it into the water!!! :twisted: )
But in my first year from adhering to the rules with, on average about 75%, I lost 17 lbs my first year... It could have been more if I had been perfect, but I ended up chosing to just do it as well as I could and not give up trying... So two weeks won't be the end for you...
Ask yourself, really, what other ways of eating have so many benefits as NoS, and such few drawbacks???
Do you have an answer yet?

::waits while there is thoughtful silence::

I didn't think so!
LOL...

Sorry about the nausea and stuff, could be that your liver is dumping toxins, or who knows! Kudos for dropping the pharmaceuticals!
Feel free to email me any time about this issue.. I have a lot of personal experience, from several failed, and horrific experiences with those antidepressants, as the first year I had a major depression/breakdown, and came to the stark realization/catharsis that I have manic depression, the quacks tried putting me on one bad pharaceutical after another, all with horrendous side effects worse than the depression itself!
Right now I'm taking St. Johns Wort and that's it.. It helps me a lot!
Have been for years now.. My Yoga practice has also been a vital element of my healing and happiness, and I encourage you to look into that too!

If you have a mistake with NoS, just regroup and come back stronger the next day! Habit reformation is very hard work indeed!!! But it's so worth it!!! Looking forward to celebrating my two years here, at the end of this month, and hope you attend the party! :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Incase you do feel like popping in to say hi one day,

Deborah_feder_lmt@msn.com

Take care!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Cheers to our first S days on the program. How's your day goin?
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

thanks deb

Post by anna » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks for your reply Deb, like you I have been diagnosed with a form of manic depression, hypomania. For five years I have been on a really high dose of antidepressant. Fortunately I am feeling reasonably ok, I suppose I am just suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Well done for you to be on the program for so long, I have done so many diets, this one seems to be the most sensible. I will definitely pop in for your party!

Love, Anna

anna

Hi Christi, Deb and everyone else, day 5

Post by anna » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:56 pm

Yesterday my S day was really good, went to a wedding in the evening and my sins (does S stand for sins or for special, or perhaps both?) were: 2 pieces of wedding cake (yummy), a few mint crumbles and a pudding. Not too bad. Still feel nauseaus, bah! (hope not pregnant, though don't think that is a possibility). Today its Sunday and I haven't felt able to eat so far. Just had two glasses of fruit smoothie. Oh well, at least that will compensate for yesterday. Feeling very tired too. It's funny because I had a really nice day yesterday, went cycling with my husband and daughters (Jasmin, 9 and Nina, 7) and had lots of fun. Suppose the weather doesn't help, miserable. :(

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:46 am

Sins or special? Hmmm I think you have a point. It's the day we choose to sin because it is a special day. I suppose.
I dunno. But it's workin fer ya. You are doing well on this plan. WOOHOO. Keep on keepin on.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

day 6

Post by anna » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Weighed myself today, bad mistake! Disappointed even though I shouldn't be. I was 89.8 kg so lost 300 gr. After thinking for a while I came to the conclusion that it was not bad at all as i had had two S days this week. However, I have just finished 8 meringue nests, a chorizo sandwich and ate all the sweeties my daughters left lying around and I am ashamed of myself :oops: This always happens when I am weighing myself, perhaps I should just not weigh myself for a month or so.

Thinking...........

That's what I will do, the next time I will weigh myself will be on the 21st of September.

My other excuse is that my withdrawal symptoms were really bad today and I felt I needed something. Perhaps I should have started cooking dinner earlier. Anyway, I am not sticking to the 3 weeks so I am just going to continue as normal again. Deb said just regroup and come back and that's what I will do. Feel peeved off with myself though.

:x

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:09 pm

So, do we have to start the 21 day thing over every time we "regroup"?
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

david

Post by david » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Yes, start over. Nobody said it was easy.

--david

anna

21 day

Post by anna » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 am

I will do the 21 days again, had a think about it last night. The idea is to form a new habit isn't it?

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 pm

New habit yes. But I think David may be off a bit. Not really off, just a little bit. If you had to start over every time you failed you would never suceed on this program and it would be as frustrating as a normal diet and everyone would quit. Therefore, I think a BIG falling down on our part may constitute a Do-Over, but a small faux-pau may just be a readjusting of ourselves and carry on as we were without having to reset the clock. I will ask Reinhard in an email and I am sure he will post for us to see.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

david

Post by david » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Anna, I'm sorry for hi-jacking your check-in!

Virtual plating or maybe a bit of plate stacking is a "faux pas" and probably doesn't warrant a do-over.

But, in my opinion, "regrouping" seems to indicate that one has gone beyond the three rules and needs to start over. It's not easy, but it's effective.

Also, consider that when we let a rule "violation" slide by and keep the 21-day count going that we may be engaging in the very same psychological shenanigans that got us out of balance in the first place.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but if I'm doing No-S, that means that M-F I don't put snacks, sweets, or seconds into my mouth. At all. Or, if I want to consider it in a more positive light, M-F I ONLY eat three platefulls of non-sugary food.

Personally, I like the "fence around the law" concept here.

thanks,
david

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 pm

Sorry from me too Anna! I wrote a messag eon the board to see what Reinhard has to say. But I think David hit it pretty good. If you are seriously re-grouping because you feel you have completely fouled up more than a little mistake, then he is probably right. Starting over may be the right direction. But failing is part of making this a habit.

Keep strong my friend. I am pulling for you and for me. I'm having a really hard time as well. But all change takes effort. And you KNOW it will be worth it when we can shake dat azz and it aint wigglin back for 5 minutes! LOL
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

thanks guys

Post by anna » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks David and Christi, I will start again, you are right. It is really good to read your replies and advice.

I have been not feeling very well in the last few days and have declared myself sick. The withdrawal is really getting to me, I am dizzy and feelin very heavy almost flu like. And also I have a tennis elbow which had to be injected today. Feel a little bit sorry for myself but not too much. I am determined to stick it out though and hopefully by the beginning of next week I should be feeling a bit better.

Have not been too bad but not very good either foodwise. But I will keep in touch here. :)

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:21 pm

I hope you start feeling better soon, Anna. Even a small victory must be counted as a victory. We are both still newbies and learning here. Don't get down on failures; concentrate on successes. We don't want to sabotage ourselves as we have in the past. Let's stay focused and positive about our new lifestyle. I know how hard it is, this morning I caved in & had a steak & egg burrito for breakfast. Oops! I think.

Anyway... we will both just keep getting back on this horse every single time and when we pile up all of our little triumphs they will equal a much better control than we had before (and hopefully a much smaller azz!). At least that is something we can look forward too. I hope you feel much better soon my friend.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

anna

new start

Post by anna » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:03 am

I am not doing very well, beating myself up over being fat and still not being able to control myself. This morning i looked at myself in the mirror and to be honest, I hate what I see. Like you Christi, I have a beautiful face but I am nearing 39 and am as big as a bus. I keep fooling myself that it is not so bad but lately it seems I am confronted with how big I am all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to let myself be defeated, I just need to write this down for myself. I look in the mirror and where I had a lovely waist once I now have this apron of fat. My boobs are not so bad, the bigger the better anyway. But the rest is gross, I don't have a waist, tried my husband's belt on the other day (and he is not small by any means), couldn't do it up! My best friend here is 2/3 of my size and I am envious. How does she do it? I feel happiest when I am sitting on the sofa reading a book or watching telly munching my way through a packet of M&M's or a bar of chocolate. It's only afterwards I feel bad.

In the beginning of this year I managed to go down about 8 kg and I felt great. Just couldn't keep doing it, perhaps the wrong diet. Drinking shakes and nothing else is not sustainable for a long time. And what happens when you give up? You gain it just as quickly. So I am almost back where I started. I know that this way of eating will help me. So from today I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself and join the 21 day wannabe club.

Next week I am going to the USA to a ranch with a good friend of mine. I always lose weight on holidays with him because there is no time for snacking, we are too busy. Those holidays are about seeing and doing things not about eating. That will be good for me.

At the start of this year I made two wishes, one was to go to University and the other was to be slim again. I have made one wish come true, it's time for the other one now.

So everybody, watch me, I am going to do it!

:) Anna

PS feel a bit better, still a bit dizzy. Going to London today with my daughters to visit the Dinosaurs.