Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to Savor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
savor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Learning to Savor Reply with quote

So here I am, starting up my own check-in thread.

No idea if I'll keep with it, but journaling about a subject tends to lead to success for me: I think it keeps topics top-of-mind and, over time, lets me both amuse myself and learn from my past as I read through old posts and spot trends.

Here is my no-S manifsto:

Past performance does not predict future results. Don't look back.
    Self-control is a depletable resource. Habit trumps will power; use "if-then" thinking.
    Building a healthy body now will enable me to enjoy life longer. Wait for that second marshmallow.
    Focusing on failure does not lead to success, but to excess. An orange at 10am is not an excuse for a Whopper at 10pm.

I do not intend to use this forum to flagellate myself for red days, but to look at the process of habit creation. I need to lose weight. I would like to be thinner, prettier and taller. However, I want to learn to think of healthy habits like putting money into a retirement account. The longer I can put off diabetes, arthritis, and general aches and pains, the more "healthy days" I've saved. My goal with a check-in is to reflect on what I'm doing to support Future-Me.

That said, I bought an entirely new wardrobe when I started a new job last May, and I've since gained 15 pounds. I will not buy a new spring and summer wardrobe. I will fit into those clothes again this year!

And... that pretty much sums me up... philosophical flights of fancy interspersed with pragmatic one-liners.
savor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: January Reply with quote

I started using HabitCal. It's old school, but it's simple and I like that. Since the first of the year, I've had 6 GREEN days, 2 YELLOW, and 1 RED. I am also down 4.2 pounds, but I don't think that rate of weightloss is sustainable--I always drop like that the first week I do something new, then bounce back the next week. Probably something to do with water, because I am quite certain I have not burned 14,700 more calories than I've eaten over the past week. Smile

We'll see how this goes. My initial goal in this is to lose 50 pounts over the course of this year, but I want to sit with the habit creation for a bit and see how I feel before I set any real goals. I am concerned that lack of success may cause me to lose interest.

I did some reading of the check-in threads yesterday, and I very much liked the format of one (Kathleen's maybe?) that had the whole month in one post that was edited regularly. I'm going to give it a go, and report on all 3 of my desired habits, even though spending has nothing to do with No-S, except that it starts with S. Wink My "S-days" for that one will have to be different, though because it's not practical not to spend anything 5 days out of the week. My goal is 2 or 3; I've never tracked that before, so I dont't really know what is practical. Spending is purchasing a good or a service: it does not include paying bills or donations when the hat is passed at a couple groups I go to.

I decided to post myweight: it's a diet forum; no one will be surprised that I'm obese. I think it will be interesting to scroll through in a few months.

1-01-18: Starting Weight: 173.3

1-09-18: 169.4
No-S: Green
No-Spend: S-Day
Exercise: Green

Today was a GREEN day, and a tough one at that. I had to go out to lunch with the team (not optional) and we went to an Asian restaurant. I DO NOT like Asian food. I realize that means I don't like what the majority of the world eats, but so be it. So I got something to be polite but I really didn't care for it so I didn't finish it. I wanted an orange later in the afternoon, but I didn't have one. I had a cup of tea instead.

Then I went to the gym after work because I figured eating at 5:30 would be a fast track to a late night snack. I bought gas and cat food, and did 30 minutes on the exercise bike.

1-10-18: 169.1
No-Spend: Green

As long as my orange fits on my plate, I can eat it after I am done with my pasta, right? I say yes. The temptation to binge on oranges is about nil.

1-11-18: 168.7
Exercise: S-Day

I didn't eat enough for lunch today because I was squeezed for time. And I had a commitment after work, so I didn't eat supper until after 8:30pm. But I didn't snack or eat too much for dinner...although I ate it very very fast. Smile

1-12-18: 168.5

Learned from yesterday. Today I went straight from work to a free concert--that happened to be held in a huge mall. I knew I would either have to eat dinner out, or wait until 9pm to eat. So I planned ahead a bit and ate a bigger lunch: a cup of homemade stew, a salad, a piece of bread and applesauce. It all fit on one medium plate, but it's one thing more than I'd normally eat for lunch. It worked; I was not hungry until after the concert when I was on my way home. For supper, I'll just skip sides with my pasta, because I'm still not starving hungry.

I did buy a soda and some Bath & Body Works (75% off Sale!) to donate to a non-profit I support. Had money budgeted for both those things, so it's an exempt day for No-Spend. And I walked the mall for about an hour before the concert, so that's Exercise even though I didn't do a specific routine. Success! I give myself two points for planning ahead.

1-13-18: 168.7
No-S: S-Day
No-Sloth: Green

I decided exercise needs to be no-Sloth to fit in with the theme. I didn't weigh myself until afternoon, so no surprise with that. Did some snacking today that I wasn't thrilled about, but having a peanut butter cookie and a sliver of cake was fabulous as I was at a friend's for lunch. Spending was just the grocery story. yay me! Got a week's worth of meals prepped a:the fridge.

1-14-18: 167.6
No-S: S-Day
No-Sloth: Green

A full two weeks in with only 1 fail day, and no really egregious S-Days, has netted me a loss of 5.7 pounds. I have no idea how much money I'm saving, but would guess somewhere upwards of $50, because I've beens spending about $150 eating out the last few months.

1-15-18: 167.1
Exercise: S-Day

I'm really learning to enjoy plating my food. I prep all my food for the week on weekends (this is not diet-related, but simple laziness) and I used to eat it out of the tupperware. Putting it on a plate seems festive and for some reason, the food seems more filling and the meal seems "over" when the plate is empty.

I'm also enjoying watching the numbers on the scale. I can't imagine this rate of steady weight loss will continue. I expect a hormonal interruption within the next 10 days. Hopefully, it will not lead to chocolate.

Last edited by savor on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 am; edited 5 times in total
ladybird30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Savor - if you define success as sticking to 3 meals a day, or whatever permanent change you think is achievable for you, then you can be successful from day 1.
savor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, Ladybird. By that metric, I'm doing ok so far! I just don't want to get bored if I don't see changes in the scale or the way I feel. This habit thing is hard for me!
milliem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often 'virtual plate' savor, as not everything technically goes on one plate together. So I might have soup, a roll and some fruit but don't empty it all out onto the same plate! Smile For me, as long as all the food is in front of me when I sit down and it's not some crazy mound of food that wouldn't fit on a plate I'm good.
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Savor" is one of my favorite words about eating.

I love your allusion to the "second marshmallow,"; I'm assuming here it's a metaphor!

Posting is definitely not a requirement. If it helps, terrific. Some of us are voyeurs, but it's not your job to make us happy!

Enjoy every bite!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
savor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@oolala53, the second marshmallow is from the famous study about self regulation. Waiting for the second marshmallow predicts better life outcomes. Wink

Wikipedia
The Stanford marshmallow experiment[1] was a series of studies on delayed gratification in the late 1960s and early 1970s led by psychologist Walter Mischel, then a professor at Stanford University. In these studies, a child was offered a choice between one small reward provided immediately or two small rewards (i.e., a larger later reward) if they waited for a short period, approximately 15 minutes, during which the tester left the room and then returned. (The reward was sometimes a marshmallow, but often a cookie or a pretzel.) In follow-up studies, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for the preferred rewards tended to have better life outcomes, as measured by SAT scores,[2] educational attainment,[3] body mass index (BMI),[4] and other life measures.[5]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: