I'm starting....again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cdfraun

I'm starting....again

Post by cdfraun » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm

OK, so I've started and stopped. Started and stopped. Maddeningly. It's too easy to make excuses. I have three kids and it seems they are always eating. I love the system, so I'm ready to start again for real!!!!! I'm posting here (which is something I don't typically do) so that I have some accountability.

I'm tired of snacking, tired of seconds....I don't do too many sweets anyway, but I am tired of snacking and seconds. I never then actually enjoy my meals because I'm never hungry. I don't have a bunch of weight to lose - 10 pounds at most and I'm active, but I'm wanting to not be thinking about food all of the time. Most importantly, I'm wanting to just enjoy the food that I do eat, so I need to eat less of it.

The most difficult thing for me is no seconds. I always am afraid that I will get hungry (as if I might die if I get a little hungry!) and surprised by how little food I actually need. Very surprised.

But here we go - I'm starting for real this time! Thanks for your support, virtual or otherwise.

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm restarting with you today! I've also started/stopped and went back to calorie counting, intuitive eating, etc. I'm tired of the cycle and decided that this time I'm going to give this at least six full months and if I see results, this will be it for the rest of my life. Best wishes on your new beginning!
Restart Date: 10/31/13
Starting Weight: 226

cdfraun

Post by cdfraun » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Good luck to you, too! Six months sounds like a great plan (except for that I'm having to focus one day at a time for my sanity!!!).

Here's to success this time! There is no option!

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Amen to taking things one day at a time! Here is to success this go round for the both of us! :)
Restart Date: 10/31/13
Starting Weight: 226

wosnes

Re: I'm starting....again

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm

cdfraun wrote:OK, so I've started and stopped. Started and stopped. Maddeningly. It's too easy to make excuses. I have three kids and it seems they are always eating.
Good luck!

Something to think about: Your kids don't need to be eating constantly, either. It's a bad habit they'll have to unlearn at some later date.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

cdfraun

Post by cdfraun » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Extremely good point about the kids! I do think they need an afterschool snack, but other than that, probably not.

Thanks for the reminder!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:03 am

cdfraun wrote:Extremely good point about the kids! I do think they need an afterschool snack, but other than that, probably not.

Thanks for the reminder!
The other day I was thinking about snacking here when I was growing up. I remember either an after school snack or an evening snack. Which you had depended on when dinner was served. If dinner was early, before 6 PM, you had the evening snack. If dinner was later, after 6 PM, you had the after school snack.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

Welcome Back!!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I think you may have hit your bottom. You've seen the alternatives and have determined that this is really your best bet. I agree! It didrupts "normal" life less than just about anything else, and has the natural rhythm of ups and downs in learning to eat less over time. The prognosis looks good!

(You probably know from this board that French children eat 3 meals- very small breakfast- plus a snack between lunch and late-by-our-standards dinner with their parents. That's it. No constant offers of food. Very frowned on because it will ruin their appetite for the high quality food at the meals! But you can ease the kids into this after it's become more comfortable for you. You'll know you're not making them suffer unnecessarily or excessively. (but if they do snack, allow them to eat lightly at the following meal. Gently suggest that it might be worth it to give up the snack or come up with lighter one so that they'll be more in the mood for the meal. I had a friend who got me candy every day, When it bothered my mom that I didn't eat heartily at dinner, I started overeating so she wouldn't figure out I'd had the candy. I think if she had known to remind me of how good it felt when I ate when I was hungry, it might have helped. Who knows? I can't blame it all on her. Our eating habits were reasonable.)
Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Seconds are also my downfall. Not coincidentally, eating very quickly is my worst habit. I have found that when I remember to eat slowly (still trying!) and drink a glass of water at the table right after my meal, I can defeat that urge more frequently.

Kids eating is another big challenge for me! I have pushed my lunch to 2 or 3:00 so that when they want to eat in the afternoon, I am freshly full. It's helped a TON.

My kid strategy is the same as my mother's, which worked very well: don't buy "snacks" -- period. They serve no nutritional purpose. If the kids are truly hungry, they will eat fruits for veggies, or making toast or whatever. But I won't be tempted by their chewy bars or whatever.

For what it's worth.

cdfraun

Post by cdfraun » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:21 pm

I do agree about the kids and have certainly noticed that hungry kids eat better meals than snacked kids. And I want the kids to know that feeling hungry is normal and ok, not something to avoid like the plague. I LOVE this plan (thanks, Reinhard!) because not only is it simple but good tastes better and there really is no deprivation! Yesterday the kids were having my homemade (decadent) cheese dip for a snack and I wanted some but quickly realized that I could indeed have it if I just waited for dinner which I did. It fit on my plate and was delicious and I ate it guilt-free! I estimate that I will eat probably 500-1000 calories less on this plan. I am 5'6" and 150 lbs so not terrible, but I'm guessing that my natural weight (which I've never seen) is quite a bit lower. That's only part of it though because the best part is having 3 delicious guilt-free meals a day instead of 9 blah guilt-ridden meal/snacks!!! I'm excited!

cdfraun

Post by cdfraun » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:01 pm

So, I didn't even like my first S day - I didn't like being "allowed" to eat all day because that's what I did and therefore, I didn't enjoy my meals at all. And I'm tempted to treat today (Sunday) like an N day, but I know better. However, I won't go crazy like I did yesterday. :cry:

jw

Post by jw » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi cd -- I have experienced the same thing, over-the-top Saturdays and then much calmer Sundays. Just take them as they come while you build your habits. Otherwise, you end up feeling cheated sometime in the middle of next week, which opens the door to cheating!

Looks like you are off to a great start this time -- best of luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

cdfraun

Post by cdfraun » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks JW! Good advice!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:06 pm

EVENTUALLY, many of your S days will be just like N days. The difference is that it will be even with the freedom to eat. You will just want to wait for your meals.

But no need to be in a hurry. This is for the long run.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)