Hooray--I successfully resisted eating junk

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hexagon

Hooray--I successfully resisted eating junk

Post by hexagon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:40 am

Hi,

Eating out with my friends can be so difficult sometimes. This evening after having a very yummy, healthy meal (it was vegan, yes, vegan dishes can be yummy) we went to a place to have coffee and dessert. I groaned to myself, worried that I would kill my weight loss...

Since I'm going on a little getaway this weekend, where I know I'll have a few planned treats, I didn't eat any dessert--I didn't even want any! All of my friends got ice cream and cake but I just had some decaf with a bit of half-and-half.

Wheeee!

--H

ThomsonsPier

Re: Hooray--I successfully resisted eating junk

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:06 am

hexagon wrote:vegan dishes can be yummy
I don't believe you.

Well done on all of the above. I find that when coffee and snacks are concerned, I tend to take five times as long as everyone else just to drink the coffee becuase mine is black and my friends all put cold milk in theirs.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm

I agree with both of you. Vegan dishes can be yummy. They can also be terrible.

There are a number of vegan eating programs out there and while they make sense and there's good science to support them, the food leaves a LOT to be desired. It doesn't matter if the programs are healthy or not if you don't want to eat the food!

I'm extraordinarily fond of the food of the Mediterranean and Middle East and much of the food is traditionally vegan -- it just wasn't called vegan. The dishes just didn't have meat or dairy. Vegan or not, it's just "good eats."

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Yes, I agree. I was largely being facetious, being the hardened ominivore that I am. I can think of a number of decent vegan dishes off the top of my head. Let's see: refried beans, dhals, tortillas, rice noodles...

Bah. Hungry now.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks for the support.

I'm not vegan, but as you both acknowledged, there's plenty of things with no animal products that are tasty, e.g. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Maybe I'll try the black coffee trick to slow down. Last night I was drinking decaf though (not particularly high-quality stuff either), so unadulterated coffee would probably have been a mistake.

Now to my little retreat...Wish me luck in moderate eating!