This is getting harder!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

This is getting harder!

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:20 pm

:( I have not yet failed today but MAN, this is getting hard. I am hungry all the time. I don't know if it is because of nursing my dd exclusively (she's 4 months) but I'm eagerly anticipating every meal. Starving!

What can I do about this? I want so much to be successful at noS, and it is easy and is really working but yowza. Maybe my body will adjust but I am so looking forward to this weekend (s days).

I'm hanging in there!! :twisted: Evil stomach monkeys!!

-S who is now 13 days into her first 21.

joasia

suggestions that sometmes work for me

Post by joasia » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 pm

When I first started I thought it would be easy too. It is easy to follow in that you don't have to count or measure, but it is not easy to do. Let's face it. When you are trying to lose weight you have to cut calories, consume less, whatever you want to call it. This is an easy format for doing that. But cutting down on the amount you eat is never easy. Our stomach/brain gets use to a certain amount of food. We become hungry and grouchy when we don't get it. I wish I could tell you different. I have found that getting busy sometimes helps (going for a walk, reading a book, or whatever). Maybe try to stay motivated by trying something on that use to feel tight. Think about all the diseases you won't get by being a normal weight (hypertension, heart disease, cancer, Type II diabetes). Whatever it takes. Also, remember on the weekend allow yourself one meal where you eat whatever and however much you like. You always have that to look forward to. Also, eating high fiber and some fat keeps you full longer (whole wheat bread, whole grains like barley or brown rice). When you eat real fat it keeps you satisfied (real butter, cheese, olive oil, avocado, and so on). I never eat fake nonfat food. It tastes bad, is not satisfying, and has chemicals and sugar to replace the fat. I have also learned to cook well. This allows me to be creative and be around food without pigging out on it. Stay strong, you can do it.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Nursing takes a lot out of you. Eat big at meals, and if necessary, have a glass of juice or milk between meals to get you through.

FarmerHal

Same as other thread

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks everyone.

I was doing so well up till now and DD has been nursing a lot lately- gearing up for a big growth spurt. SHes' been up 5+ times the last few nights nursing away <am I tired?! LOL>

OK. So, if it won't mess up my N days, I think I'll add one more meal per day (like a bowl of whole grain Bob's red mill hot cereal). Or fruit/veg/protein.

I think the most important thing for me is to stick to the rules and not eat mindlessly. Lately though I'm starving between lunch and dinner and then overnight.

Ok, so new rules for me: 3 meals plus 1 extra per day. The extra can be an apple, or a banana, or a whole grain cereal- must be a healthy item.

Thanks everyone for help with this... do you think this messes up my 21 days?

-S

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:08 am

No, I don't think it messes up your 21 days. While nursing isn't similar to being sick, it's a special circumstance. You're feeding yourself and your baby. What works when you're not nursing doesn't apply when you are. Just be sensible about what you add to your diet.

You may need to add more than one "extra" meal. Why don't you plan on more -- say morning, afternoon and evening snacks, and if you don't feel the need for them, omit them. Better to plan for more and use less than plan for only one and find that you need more and then feel guilty about it. As time goes by and the baby nurses less often and you add solid foods to her diet, cut out the snacks that you need the least.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:12 am

Wosnes is very wise. ITA with her that it doesn't mess up your 21 days!

And also I agree you need "modified rules" for your current circumstances. Err on the side of being too generous - this is a health issue for you and your little one.

As long as you are building better habits, you are making progress. Remember that.

You can tighten up to standard No-S as your child weans. And if that's going to be while... well, kudos and good-mom-points to you! :)

For now, cut the sweets on N-days, and perhaps focus on "healthy choices" a little more than you might otherwise.

Good luck.

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:35 am

Ouch! I found nursing a lot harder than pregnancy, eating-wise. When I was pregnant I ate a lot, but only craved healthy things like oranges and eggs. When I was nursing I was a lot hungrier, and to make matters worse, my idea of heaven was a snickers bar.

I would go even further than an extra S and add another meal. I eat 4 smaller meals a day with no-S, and though I'm loosing weight sloooooowly, with my hypoglycemia it really makes sense. Babies need all the nutrition they can get and just avoiding the sugar S is going to help a lot. I mean, I'm not a doctor, but to me being a little bit hungry seems ok while breast feeding, but being staaarving seems a bad idea for you and your daughter.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:54 pm

I agree with all of the above. Stick with the no sugar and no seconds. The snacks, if necessary should to be small and healthy. I find that a good barometer for whether I am really starving or just wanting to give in is what I choose to eat to tide myself over to the next meal. If I have apples, bananas, yogurt etc and they don't do it for me but a candy bar will, then that is giving in. If I choose the apple or banana or whatever other healthy, low cal thing I am probably ok. I know very few people who would tell you they got fat from eating too many apples.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:19 am

Well, I really dont' like candy/candy bars at all. My weakness is carbs- crackers, toast, bagels, you get the idea.

Today I didn't need to snack. And last night a cup of nice hot coffee(decaf, I like the taste) really settled my stomach *this is ok, right?

Well off to put dd to bed.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:33 pm

shamrockmommy said:
My weakness is carbs- crackers, toast, bagels, you get the idea.
You know, there's not a thing wrong with carbs. Well, maybe crackers and oversize bagels aren't the best idea, but there's nothing wrong with carbs. Throughout the world and throughout history (and even now) the healthiest people eat a diet based on carbs (grains or starchy vegetables) with lots of fruits, vegetables and legumes and smaller amounts of meat and dairy.

I have a cartoon from a local newspaper. One frame shows a Chinese person with a bowl of rice in front of him and the caption is "Healthy with rice." The next frame shows an Italian with a plate of pasta in front of him and the caption is "Healthy with pasta." The third frame shows a French woman with a loaf of bread and the caption is "Healthy with bread." The last frame shows an American man in a recliner and the caption reads "I"m so fat! It's gotta be the carbs..."

Now this gets even more interesting when you realize that most Asians eat white rice, most Italians eat pasta made from white flour and the French eat bread made from white flour. All eat other carbs in addition to those they're most "famous" for. What's the difference? Well, it's the amounts they eat in addition to what they eat along with it. Their portions are smaller. While there's no doubt that whole grains are more nutritious than refined grains, when you eat a lot of vegetables, legumes and fruits along with smaller portions of carbs, it all balances out in the end.

So much of what many Americans eat is so overly refined and processed and our portions are so huge that it's no wonder we think it must be the carbs.

One thing I've noticed in reading about the eating habits of people around the world is that they don't fear foods (like carbs) like we do. I've also read that various eating disorders are far less common than they are here. I think it's because they have strong traditions and habits regarding food and eating and they're so much a part of their culture that no one really gives it a second thought. They don't have a tradition of stuffing themselves (except possibly on holidays) and eating 24/7 like we do. It's just not in good taste to do that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:43 pm

I worry when you say you're so hungry nursing a baby. Eat bigger meals! Breast milk is a perfect food because it takes the "perfect" things from YOUR body, leaving you with the scraps.

Being no doctor or dietician myself, I have a recommend -
Eat something when the baby eats.

Yes its not no-s. But breast milk contains 20 cals/oz. You probably have a feel for how much she eats (at 4 months 6-7 oz/feeding they say). So maybe 120 calories/feeding. Calories aside, since this is No-S...

Your baby is taking a bit more than a piece of fruit or a glass of lowfat milk every time. So stick strictly to no-s during the day, but for those night feedings, a glass of milk wouldn't hurt. Try picking the best foods possible (avocado, beans, egg)...

I know I know, not no-S at all.
But don't let your baby starve you. 1 pound a week might be more than enough when you're nursing.
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and advice. I have decide to take the option of having a 4th meal if necessary and healthy snacks (no junk, no crackers, etc) between meals if I am really famished.

Yesterday I ended up taking a 4th meal because dd had shots yesterday and has been nursing non stop since. I lost count at how many times she woke to nurse last night.

I will definitely listen to my body. And while noS might not be as strict for a few more months, at the very least, I've developed a much healthier relationship with food and already I'm emotionally better, because I am not beating myself up at the end of the day for being out of control with food.

Happy NoSing!