Why this makes Sense

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

resident0063

Why this makes Sense

Post by resident0063 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:54 pm

I am just getting into this program and I have been thinking why it makes sense. If we believe in calories in vs. calories out you almost have to lower your weight following the rules. I just punched in my numbers in a calories counting program. I am not looking to count calories but just was trying to do a little experiment. I am looking to reduce from 195 lbs. to 165 lbs. If I am willing to do this over a year, not just a few months, I am looking at a little over 2700 calories per day. I almost always eat a light breakfast. Just don't like cereal, eggs and the like. Let's say I pig out at lunch. Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries. According to McDonald's website that is 710 calories for the burger another 500 for the fries. So 1210. Let's say I am a real slob and eat the same again for dinner. Up to 2420. I would still hae 300 calories for breakfast, rare that I eat that for breakfast. There are myriad problems with this experiment if it was just for weight loss. The McDonald's published information may be less than what is actually served in terms of calories. I would eat more on S days. There is little give for even a glass of milk there. But that really isn't my point. This is probably the most I would eat at any one meal. I do not believe I actually eat the equivalent of a supersize McDonald's meal twice a day. As such, my excess weight is primarily due to 1. snacking (as in eating outside of a meal) 2. sweets (most likely the bulk coming from the large soda that would come with such a meal, I always get soda refills at restaurants). People would vary regarding their caloric needs, but I bet that if you add up the calories in three good size meals versus the calories needed to maintain your goal weight there will be a deficit. Most would have a calorie allowance lower than me, a large size male. But most would also consider my sample McDonald's meal gross. It is gross. If I was to put it on a single plat it would surely overfill. Some would eat a bigger breakfast. Still do the math and you will start to have faith in the system. The big caveat is time. If I try to lose this weight in the space of a couple of months, the calories I am allowed drops by about 700 per day. More difficult. I think that counting calories is crazy because of its difficulty, but I think such a math experiment helps one to understand the logic of Richard's system.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 am

Nice analysis and thank you for the time it took for you to post.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

winnie96

Re: Why this makes Sense

Post by winnie96 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 am

resident0063 wrote:... but I think such a math experiment helps one to understand the logic of Richard's system.
Indeed it does, but if I may offer a gentle suggestion: don't let the compelling math mask the larger benefits of establishing habits in the way that No-S encourages.

I have found that the No-S approach builds habits of consistency and boundaries in other areas of my life, not just food. For example, my exercise routines had been rather catch-as-catch-can. Now, I have set up my Shovelglove and walking programs, and I just do them. In the same way that I don't have to think about whether or not to have a snack ("I am not a snacker"), or seconds ("I don't have seconds"), I don't have to think about getting out for a walk each day ("I am an everyday walker").

And for me, this got into larger things, like "I do what I say I'm going to do", largely, I think, because the energy that I was expending on fighting food & exercise decisions has been freed up to be directed elsewhere. My endless to-do lists were mostly a recurring collection of the same things that never really got done. The No-S mindset has gotten me into a mode where I actually accomplish what I set to do (for the most part). It's a work in progress, but I emphasize the word "progress".

If you peruse these boards, I'll think you'll find similar clues that No-S isn't necessarily only about food and weight, although it has a tremendously positive effect on both. And it's a kind of circular benefit: the more you are able to get a handle on the food/weight thing, the more you are able to get a handle on other aspects of your life, which enables you to get an even better handle on the food/weight thing, which enables you to get an even better on other aspects -- you get the idea ... these good changes reinforce one another.

Best wishes for success with No-S ... in all its aspects!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks for the quantitative analysis, resident0063.

And brilliant qualitative analysis, Winnie!

I (especially) liked this:
In the same way that I don't have to think about whether or not to have a snack ("I am not a snacker"), or seconds ("I don't have seconds"), I don't have to think about getting out for a walk each day ("I am an everyday walker").
"Everyday Walker" may have to make it (with attribution, of course) to the urban ranger home page (sorely in need of an update anyway)...

Reinhard

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Looking back my analysis was a bit over the top. I just got a Eureka moment when I realized that the problem was my constant snacking. Winnie, I think you nailed it more than anything. The advantage is that this is an automatic diet. Rare is a diet that becomes easier over time rather than harder. I think this board is becoming the dieter's recovery page. I am reading how everyone has a stack of diet books. I do too. I might not lose a pound doing this (although I think I will) but at least I will stop the diet obsession.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:20 pm

resident0063 wrote:I might not lose a pound doing this (although I think I will) but at least I will stop the diet obsession.
Yes, that really cannot be underestimated.

I used to control my weight through an "armed truce" with food, and now I can actually enjoy my meals in a way I never used to. And I'm not always obsessing about weight.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:13 am

resident0063 wrote: Rare is a diet that becomes easier over time rather than harder.
Wow, have you got that right! I lost 60 lbs on WW and had kept it off for 4 years, but it was becoming such a freakin' struggle, I was constantly out looking for additional incentive. I happened upon No-S when I was trolling Amazon.com for yet another diet/recipe/life book to "transform my life" and was skeptical at first, but after getting acquainted (via the book and the website) decided to give it No-S a try.

It truly is a life-style that becomes easier over time ... the beauty of habit, focused on your well-being. And the really cool thing, to me, is that you put the focus on a "Food-Way" (vs "Diet') that works for you, and enhances your health.

KCCC is right about the "armed truce" so many of us have with food -- that's no way to live. No-S has given me the tools to break out of that mode of thinking.

Note: I am in no way knocking WW as a way to lose weight. Even as a lifetime member, I go to a meeting every week (free!) for the friendship and support. And WW does make an effort to try to help keep your weight off. It's just so much more difficult than what No-S can do. Combining the two (WW/No-S), however, with more emphasis on No-S, has really made me believe that (a) I won't ever weigh 200 lbs again, and (b) whether it's Shovelglove-ing or walking or free weights, I am a person who exercises!.

And, no matter where I am in this journey, I can ALWAYS get support, suggestions, and sanity on these boards. I'm kinda liking this ... maybe call it the Yes-S Diet (Support, Suggestions, Sanity).