PCOIS and Metformin

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MB

PCOIS and Metformin

Post by MB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 pm

OK I need HELP!!!

My doctor put me on 2000 mg Metformin daily for PCOS. It is working as far as ovulation/regular periods go (Trying to get pregnant). It makes me feel really drained and "low". I do great until about 4 oclock after I am done teaching school and then I am ravenous!! Will I still lose weight if I add a 3rd meal of like PB crackers or a fruit smoothie?

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Well, the book says that you don't have to specifically have "3" meals a day. If you need to, for medical reasons, you can set your meals to some other number, such as "4". The important thing is to stick to whatever number you decide is reasonable and not vary it day to day. So if you need to, if you decide to have 4 meals a day, your third "meal" could be a small healthy meal.

I think the key here would be to have four smaller meals ... maybe use smaller plate sizes to balance out your intake through the day.

Hope this helps!

Laura

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am

MB,

I have PCOS myself and have had huge problems with hunger in the past (low blood sugar problems and such) but I can now be hungry without feeling sick.

You mentioned the dose, but not whether you take it once a day or more often. Also are you on thre extended release kind? When I was on it, I ended up taking it twice a day to help with crazy hunger. I've also found in the past that exercise and proper diet have gone much further in helping with ovulation and regularity (also trying to get pregnant!).

Kevin

Re: PCOIS and Metformin

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am

Medical issues require flexibility. No S provides it. Add a small fourth meal and stay on track.
MB wrote:OK I need HELP!!!

My doctor put me on 2000 mg Metformin daily for PCOS. It is working as far as ovulation/regular periods go (Trying to get pregnant). It makes me feel really drained and "low". I do great until about 4 oclock after I am done teaching school and then I am ravenous!! Will I still lose weight if I add a 3rd meal of like PB crackers or a fruit smoothie?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

MB

PCOS

Post by MB » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:56 am

I take two - 500 mg pills twice daily with breakfast and dinner that is what the bottle says but i wonder if it would work better by taking one with each of my four meals maybe i wouldnt feel so bad then metformin reduces your blood sugar and helps take fat out of storage

Thanks for the advice i will ask my doctor about this