Beginner Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

audra3s

Beginner Question

Post by audra3s » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 am

I am trying this for the first time, first day tomorrow. From everything else I am used to keeping a journal or food/excercise log ect. - which obviously has not worked for me. Is that encouraged on this or just measure your success at the end of the day?

Thanks,

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 am

It's completely up to you. Some have found it works well for them, others hate it. No-S is very much adaptable to each individual person.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

Kevin

Re: Beginner Question

Post by Kevin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am

Consider logging "Days on Habit" (Green for Successful days, Red for not successful days. You can log that for all the habits you are trying to develop - No S, Exercise, whatever. Consider just worrying about the habit for a while.

You can journal later if you think it will be helpful, but the focus for the first month is on habit, not tweaking.

Look at the Habitcal link at the top of the page.
audra3s wrote:I am trying this for the first time, first day tomorrow. From everything else I am used to keeping a journal or food/excercise log ect. - which obviously has not worked for me. Is that encouraged on this or just measure your success at the end of the day?

Thanks,
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

NoelFigart

Re: Beginner Question

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

audra3s wrote:I am trying this for the first time, first day tomorrow. From everything else I am used to keeping a journal or food/excercise log ect. - which obviously has not worked for me. Is that encouraged on this or just measure your success at the end of the day?

Thanks,
You CAN if you feel you need to. But other than tracking days on habit, I think it's not all that profitable to bother.

I use the HabitCal to track three things: No-S Diet, Glass Ceiling, and Exercise.

Here's my habitcal.

If I ate three meals, ONLY those meals, and my meal was no bigger than one of my dinner plates, I succeeded and the square is green.

If I had no more than two drinks a day, I get a green for Glass Ceiling.

If I did at least 14 minutes of exercise, I get a green for exercise.

That's all the tracking I bother to do. I find it's enough.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

You don't have to. I hate writing stuff down, so I'm glad I don't have to. Not wanting to keep a food journal kept me from trying a lot of other diets over the years, so it's good that I found one that doesn't require that. Some people might like keeping a food journal, or find it helpful.

When you're keeping your food journal, do you find yourself putting off writing down what you ate in it for longer and longer? That's what happens when I try to keep a food journal. I tried keeping one in eighth grade home ec, and what happened was that I ended up trying to think up plausible meals to write down the night before it was due, for about three weeks of a one-month journal. Is that what happens when you keep a food journal?

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:10 pm

I wrote things down at the beginning and logged my calories etc. but I found that if I went over calories I started to feel worried that I would gain which is a trigger for binge eating for me so I just stopped. Plus it's just time consuming and that hasn't really worked for me in the long run with previous "diets".

For me counting calories is counter productive and I go by habit now. It is very encouraging to see your habitcal grow daily.

audra3s

Post by audra3s » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. It helps. I am going to try the habit tracker. Slow and steady!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm

I always found I was most successful when I logged my progress. When I would gain weight or not lose when I thought I should, I could always refer to the journal and see where the problem was. I have not food journaled in awhile, but I am back to it this month after a very long plateau.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain