Popcorn!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Going to the movies: can you have popcorn instead of a meal?

No! That's snacking wrapped up in a bow.
No votes
Maybe- skip the butter and eat light, healthy meals at breakfast & dinner.
33%
Yes! The small size fits on a plate.
33%
Other- I'll elaborate in my post.
33%

Total votes: 9

Mia21972

Popcorn!

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 pm

I love popcorn! I'm going to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean today at 12:45 EST. I'm thinking of having some popcorn instead of lunch. I know that candy is a big 'ol no-no, but I like popcorn sans butter. Your thoughts? ~Mia
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:16 pm

As long as it's unbuttered (preferably low-fat) and replaces a meal, I would count it as normal. It's just popped corn after all. The nutritional aspect of it is not so bad.
Francois Tremblay
Rabid atheist, Market Anarchist, seditious dog

Hellbound Alleee Show

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Popcorn just makes me hungrier, for some reason.

I'd say it's legitimate to replace a meal with popcorn, but it's a pretty rubbish meal.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Well would Johnny Depp be considered a sweet?
LOL..

I totally suggest going to Pirates on an S day :)
I watch movies probably three to five nights a week, but when it's in a theater, I like to go and enjoy it with "The works" so I'd rather just save it for an S day when I can, and not feel any guilt at all..

And, aw come on Thompson, popcorn is great!
LOL..
Rubbish meal my foot! LOL..
Especially when you know that Mia has expressed her unending love for it! :P

Mia, do what you need to do!
I see you as taking this plan very seriously, and just because you are having popcorn for lunch, it doesn't make the day a failure.. Just don't wash it down with a coke...By strict NoS rules, yes you can replace your meal with popcorn and you can even have butter :)

Have a nice day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

operababe

Post by operababe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:37 pm

If I'm going to the movies, then it's an S day kids! I will have a regular bag of popcorn with butter and usually an iced tea (I don't know, but it seems to have less sugar than pop). I only go to the movies roughly once every 2 months, I prefer to wait for most of these films to come out on DVD, so I don't feel this occasional indulgence is a problem. It's funny, watching a movie at home I do not get the urge to snack. But I walk into a movie theatre and I'm a goner!

BTW, I did go to the movies on the weekend, "The Devil Wears Prada" with my daughter and we both loved it. Meryl Streep is absolutely terrific and terrifyingly good, and Ann Hathaway is perfect and loveable. I had my regular popcorn, and you know what, I left behind about 1/3 or more of the popcorn, couldn't finish it all. I guess the next time I go, I'll have to get the small size. Woo hoo!
It's time to make it beautiful.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:29 pm

I figure if it's not overly sweet, any type of food is fair game for a "meal".

Besides, even the extra-large popcorn would easily fit on a plate before you pop it. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Ha!!!
:lol:
That's true Steve!
LOL!!!!
Love it!!!

Have a great day :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mia21972

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:00 pm

lLOL Good call, Steve! Even before the No S plan, though, I had trouble finishing a large- I just get sick of it.

Hey Deb, if Johnny Depp is ever on the "No" list, I'm afraid I'm going to have to walk the plank on this plan! :-)

Opera, I'm dying to see The Devil!

I can't wait until the weekend for Pirates, though, I'm meeting some of the kids for a matinee.

I've been quite diligent on my water, been drinking a bottle every half hour since 7 AM, so I'll have my 10 bottles done before the show. My plan is a small-medium popcorn, very light butter and a diet coke. (Diet Coke is my drug of choice, truth be told, I crave the carbination and nutrasweet!)

I always have sugarless gum in my purse to satisfy my sweetooth if I need it and I already made a big salad for dinner. It's in the fridge waiting for me.

It's important that I can maintain a lifestyle AND be healthy. I would get popcorn normally when I go to a movie, but I didn't want to cheat. I figure it just takes a little more advance planning to be able to do as I want to do, eat as I want to eat and, eventually, look as I want to look!

Thanks for the input, all. As always, I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit shown on this board. Please know that you're all in my prayers as I send that good energy right back at ya! ~Mia
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

Francois Tremblay

Post by Francois Tremblay » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:59 pm

The point is that, apart from obvious sweets, we should not refrain from eating what we want. Just eat in moderation by following NoS.
Francois Tremblay
Rabid atheist, Market Anarchist, seditious dog

Hellbound Alleee Show

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 am

I wouldn't do this regularly (zillions of empty calories), but it's techinally ok, even with that mysterious substance "topping".

Enjoy! (once in while)

Reinhard