Does anyone find that drinking hinders their weight loss?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nossuzy

Does anyone find that drinking hinders their weight loss?

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi, I have been no-s ing for about a week and a half now. 3-4 days a week I have had 1-2 drinks, the "glass ceiling". Does anyone find that even with only one to two drinks a day their weight loss slows or stalls??

I haven't weighed since I started as I want to wait awhile, but I am worried that the drinks will do me in because that has been engrained in my brain from other diets. i.e. that alcohol is the worst kind of sugar, turns right into fat, etc...

Any suggestions or experiences with this?
"Whew, glad I knew about beets. They would have killed me for sure."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:49 pm

I wish I could help, but I really don't drink. I would imagine that it would hinder it though, since it's a calorie-filled drink, like iced tea or soda.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 pm

I too am having the 2 drinks a day. I figure I have given up so much over the years with all the diets and in his book he says "glass ceiling limit" so I guess if it takes me a little longer to lose the weight....so be it.
But if I don't have a drink every day, it is no big deal, either! But it is so nice to know that if I want one....I can.
Guess it would be up to each individual, right?

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Rheba, that is true. This is a permanent way of life so it has to be livable. I have also deprived myself in the name of dieting for so long that if I even try, my mind and body immediately rebel and I fail..

My jeans feel a bit looser so I am happy with that.

Also, a couple of drinks during the week is like a treat so I don't even feel the need for sweets or snacks then.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Code: Select all

I am worried that the drinks will do me in because that has been engrained in my brain from other diets. i.e. that alcohol is the worst kind of sugar, turns right into fat, etc... 
Hmmm, that must be why the French are so fat :-)

I don't think, big picture that moderate alcohol consumption should be a problem in terms of your weight -- one, because it clearly hasn't been for societies that drink far more than we do here in the states, and two because I've personally experienced that it's not a problem. I think it's a help, actually -- because without it, I'd be even more tempted to overeat.

The trick is keeping it moderate. For me, that means a glass ceiling of no more than 2 drinks a day. If you are a wee little thing, you might want to lower the ceiling to 1.

Reinhard

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks, I agree that a drink or two a couple times a week really helps me to not be tempted in the snacking/sweets department.

I just want to make sure I have success with this. This is the last diet I will ever do, and I want to be a No-S success story. :wink:

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Remember this is not a magic formula, it's the same for all weight loss plans - calories in vs. calories spent. If for instance, you traded your 300 calories a day drinks for 300 calories a day apples, you won't see any difference. So if you aren't losing at all you have to step back and look at the entire package. Where can you make some small changes? If the drinks help keep you from wandering down a path that is worse, then have your drinks.
Dawn