pasta,potatoes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

larry ziegler

pasta,potatoes

Post by larry ziegler » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:43 pm

how much of each one seems ok to eat at dinner? 8)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Your mileage will vary.

Basic rules - no more than one plateful of all food. Divided as you will.

If you're new, go with that until you get the desire to eat "forbidden" food out of your system, then moderate however it seems sensible to you. Silliness will be evident and embarrassing over time. ;)

(My own personal apportionment is approximately 1/2 plate fruit/veg, 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 carbs... adjusted for combo foods like a pasta entree. But that's what I LIKE and feel good on. Some people have figured out that they can't handle carbs and cut further; others love them and make space for them on the plate.)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Well, there are really three answers here:

1. As much as you want. Most traditional diets around the world are based on a starch and filled in with vegetables, fruit, meat, fish, dairy and eggs as they are available and affordable. The Italian diet includes lots of pasta and the Peruvian diet has been based on potatoes. The Japanese eat tons of white rice. As Sophia Loren said, "Everything you see here I owe to spaghetti."

There was a segment on The Potato Diet on the Today Show recently about The Potato Diet. As the man who did the experiment says, it's not meant to be the next fad diet, but an experiment to show that potatoes are a nutritious food and part of a healthy diet. It's not the first time something like this has been done and the results were the same.

When I'm feeling poor, my diet becomes heavily potato-based filled in with the other things as I can afford them. Never fails -- I lose weight.

2. 1/4 of your plate when pasta or potatoes are a side dish. The remainder of the plate is 1/4 meat/fish/poultry and 1/2 vegetables.

3. 1/3 of your plate when the main dish is a mixed dish. The remaining 2/3 should be vegetables and/or fruit.

But, as KCCC said, one plate of food divided as you choose. It can be very heavy on potatoes or pasta if you choose.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm

The plate should not be piled so high that you can't carry it to the table without spilling it.

harpista

Post by harpista » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am

Nicest of the Damned wrote:The plate should not be piled so high that you can't carry it to the table without spilling it.
:lol:

This!
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am

I won't get too specific, but just for me, I find that if I put a reasonable amount of the other stuff, like salad and veg on the plate first, then the amount of pasta and sauce that fits is just about right. If I start with the pasta or potatoes, I find the plate takes on a very heavy feel :D , and there is really not much room left for the more "healthy" stuff.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".