anybody out there over 60???

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Grammy G

anybody out there over 60???

Post by Grammy G » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I am just about to begin this journey and would appreciate knowing other "oldies" are "newbies" at this. I am not a computer whiz but am a whiz at try every diet out there . A friend told me about the no-s about two years ago--I laughted and made fun of her and the concept.
she lost 20 pounds and I gained 20, so, I guess, the joke is on me!
I'm hoping there are others like me out there.

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Grammy G,

I'm over 60, and a relative 'newbie' at NoS, a bit over a month now. I have discovered how I shall eat for the rest of my life. Already some bad habits are gone, the weight is slowly going, and I feel optimistic it shall continue, as it doesn't really feel like a weight loss diet, just a sensible eating plan-- welcome!

Karen
"If you don''t like how things are, change it! You are not a tree!" Jim Rohn

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks for the over 60 reply! I think the unscheduled retirement life has really done me in and I must take charge of my eating habits. This seems like a reasonable plan and I know it will work. I have shared the info with several friends who are also seeing this as a life-style they could live could live with. I need to get back into the habit of a daily walk and do some work with weights again. I always felt better when I was doing those things but .... the retirement bug has really bitten me and "scheduling" has turned into a nasty word. Anyone else retired and just lovin' the relaxed life style too much..or is it just me???

archie44

Post by archie44 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 am

I'm well over 60 and retired, I'm sick of yo yo dieting, this one sounds like common sense, as I have realised sugar is my problem. So the journey will begin wish me luck.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am

Welcome Archie44!! I am in the over 65 group but thought I'd open the topic to those just beginning the 60s journey. You'd think we would have learned by now, wouldn't you! This plan seems like common sense..something I thought I possessed, but apparently not when it comes to food!! My problems are night time snacking and no real schedule since I retired. My head thinks I am on vacation when it comes to meals and I am happy to just nibble all day or eat nothing until late afternoon because I am out and about and then I can eat from 4PM until I go to bed..stuffed and feeling lousy.
so see..I even know my problem, I just need to "fix" myself!
I see this as a life plan and am doing my best to make routine part of my life again..at least where it coms to food!
Hope to hear from you again. (I did buy the book and it is very helpful, I think.)
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim