Shamrockmommy Checks In (a New Leaf)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Shamrockmommy Checks In (a New Leaf)

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Turning over a new leaf, so to speak. I was going to go dig up my old posts but I believe starting anew is a better idea.

Been playing with low carb/no carb diets and failing miserably. Back up again. Waay up. Was it worth it? Ultimately, no.

My weakness is still snacking- I do it out of anxiety and boredom. I homeschool a 6yr old and 4 yr old and stressful is putting it lightly! It is worth it, but a very challenging job.

Start weight: uhhmm.. I was 246 at the dr's office. If I could get to and stay at 199 at this point I would be thrilled to say the least. I've been over 200 for 14 years now.
I first tried NoS in 2004 and was successful, getting down to 206 at one point.

Anyway, food log starting today:
B: 4 chicken wings, banana, coffee with half n half and whipped cream (no sugar, just whipped cream) topping
L: tuna salad in a pepper, pretzels and an apple. All fit nicely on my plate.
Probably another coffee

I found it reeeeally hard to not snack between meals. I was good at that habit before, I'll get there again. Also, not going to go too crazy on S days, unelss it's a special occassion, no need to snack or have seconds. (and btw, the no seconds rule has stuck with me really well). Having a delish, really special dessert is special enough for me on S days I think.
I believe this weekend I'll make apple crisp :)

I am still pretty much gluten free, although bloodwork last month showed I hve no allergies (food), no celiac, and the cholestorol and everything looks great, so besides my obesity, I am the very picture of health LOL!

So goals for me this week: Stick to 3 meals on N days (no I wil not die of hunger, its ok to be hungry soemtimes and it is just a feeling, nothing more). Do NOT eat out of anxiety!

Will post more updates on meals as they come.

ETA: I forgot to mention I do like the concept of low carb meals. When done correctly, hunger is pretty much eliminated. Hunger can be ignored but it grates at you and then sooner or later I binge. I'll be low carbing/noSing as much as possible.

I hve GOT to get this under control. I hate how it's consuming my life day after day, month after month, year after year :(

Supper: turkey stirfry and pb bagel with coffee/cream
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Yesterday was GREEN :) Need to find some markers to use on my calendar, was never very good at doing habitcal.

B: tuna steak, banana, 2 eggs.

So I figure, barring every other thought about food- (this, after reading the book again) that if I can just stick to N days and not worry about anything else, I'll be leaps and bounds ahead just because food won't have a control over me. I won't worry about good carbs/bad carbs. Food will be food. I will also need to work on portions as it seems I am an 'easy keeper' to say the least!

Ive been this size for years now. More than a decade. So be it, I suppose but if I could let go of that constant daily guilt, it would be great!
NOw off to eat the reast of my B.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Good luck, Tiffani. I too am back at this after forfeiting all my success on the altar of "boy this tastes good." :)
shamrockmommy wrote:Yesterday was GREEN :) Need to find some markers to use on my calendar, was never very good at doing habitcal.

B: tuna steak, banana, 2 eggs.

So I figure, barring every other thought about food- (this, after reading the book again) that if I can just stick to N days and not worry about anything else, I'll be leaps and bounds ahead just because food won't have a control over me. I won't worry about good carbs/bad carbs. Food will be food. I will also need to work on portions as it seems I am an 'easy keeper' to say the least!

Ive been this size for years now. More than a decade. So be it, I suppose but if I could let go of that constant daily guilt, it would be great!
NOw off to eat the reast of my B.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks, Kevin :)

B: 2 eggs, banana, 4oz tuna steak, coffee (decaf)
L: 6 hot n spicy chicken wings (been craving them a loong time, now got that out of my system!), stirfried mixed veggies, coffee (decaf)

I want that next green day!
It was GREEN!!
Dinner was breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes. The kids were thrilled with this as dinner so it may become a regular thing :)

I had to remind myself that I could last another hour and a half to the next meal (or whatever time is left). I wouldn't starve in that amount of time and nothing bad was going ot happen to me.

My inflammation level is way down, so that is nice too!
Did not get my dog walk in today. Perhaps tomorrow.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Yay, I did it!! 2 green days in a row :) It helped to tell myself that it simply was not time to eat and I would not starve or have anything bad happen to me if I was a little hungry :)

Today's S plan I want to make a homemade apple crisp- all from scratch, none of that nasty canned syrupy apple stuff. Bleh.

Happy Saturday everyone :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:32 am

B: wild caught rockfish, banana, coffee
L: pulled pork sandwich, bbq chips, grapes, coffee
D: pulled pork, 2 slices fatty, bread/butter, coffee (major heartburn after all that! I keep forgetting my body doesn't like pork)

Green again, woot!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kgayle1971

Post by kgayle1971 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Tiffani, it's nice to see someone here with the same issues and struggles I have. I, too, would love to be 199!

This is my first try with No S. It's strange...I just remembered something my grandfather said once when he noticed he'd put on a few pounds. "I just cut out snacks and dessert, and get right back where I should be." I thought maybe it would work for me so I tried it. Then I googled the concept to see whether there were others out there doing the same thing, and came upon No S.

I'm sure you find homeschooling difficult at times, but I'd love to homeschool mine. My first job out of college was as a homeschool consultant. I'd tutor in subjects the parents weren't comfortable teaching, give standardized tests, and create curriculum materials. If you ever have any concerns, feel free to e-mail me.

Good luck with the plan...I'll check in on you frequently and give you a cheer!
Karen, teacher and mom of 6

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm

B: ribeye steak, banana, coffee
L: 2 chicken thighs, mac n cheese, coffee
D: 4 wings with honey mustard, herbed sprouted brown rice, apple w/pb

Green :) It's not so bad. I still don't keel over and die from not eating. I can't bury my anxiety in food, and so I feel the issues and deal with them. Sometimes it's a matter of just pacing around or taking deep breaths or heading out to the greenhouse to get through it.

Doesnt' help that I'm off my meds for 3 days to take some allergy tests!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Morning!
I am feeling so much better with 2 squirts of nasocort at night, I can breath! I can sleep without waking up! I am not snoring. I am not tense from trying to breathe all night long. Yay!
Also, day 2 off my med and I'm actually feeling ok! Was very worried about withdrawal or slipping back into depression- we shall see!

Ok:
B: 3 chicken thighs, 1 pc organic bread with butter, coffee
--an odd aside, I am not reacting to the organic wheat bread! Interesting!
L: chicken thigh (thank goodness they are gone!) 2 pc wheat bread/butter, 3 small slices sausages (leftovers from SB)
D: turkey, herbed sprouted rice, homemade gf mac n cheese, lots of mixed veggies. Supper was a bit overboard but I was attempting to clean up some of the many leftovers we have. we have a terrible habit of forgetting about leftovers and they go bad, so made us finish somethings.
Coffee (decaf is the only kind I drink)

Sticking to vanilla noS has been so freeing to me, in so many ways. Now to just concentrate soley on that, 3 meals a day, no seconds, sweets or snacking. No other food woes or worries!

Lunchtime I am in a foul mood!!! roller coaster of emotions that were kept at bay by my meds can now flow freely, and I'm trying very hard to keep it in and not get ugly. I am not sure I want to keep homeschooling- it's hard enough with one let alone teaching 2. :( I hate myself sometimes.
grr. I hate foul moods.

Evening update: after doign some exercises in the pool with the kids and walkign the dogs, I am feeling much much beetter. Talk about mood swings!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 am

just some self chatter:
1. Between meals eating is not an option it is simply not time to eat.

2. Eating while stressed (kids) bored (lonely) or anxious (decision making) is not going to help anything- it might cover up those feelings momentarily but the obviuos answer is directly dealing with the situation, not covering it up with food.

3. Hey, whaddya know, a little hunger doesn't result in death!

;)
I have been overweight for years now. I am not sure that will really, ever change. My bloodwork is outstanding, despite outwardly appearances.
SO, for me, noS isn't even about weightloss anymore. If that's a side benefit, great, if not, I am getting back peace of mind every day but not obscessing about food, or using it as self-medication for my stress/anxiety. I am learning that proper portions really do fill me up (not stuffed, i can't stand that feeling anymore!) and that they sustain me to the next meal, no problem. A little hungry feeling is nto that terrible, and I don't think my body, personally, has ever known 'hunger' as others have- famine!

So anyway, some self thoughts here. 3 meals a day, a few delicacies on the weekends, good to go!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 pm

I finished reading Why We Get Fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes.

It has made me understand that, Yes!, low carb diets are best for my body.
I posted on the WWGF thread, and it explains how in 2 months of eating Atkins, I lost 35lbs with no effort other than not eating starch/sugar.

I am not sure if I will eliminate S days. I really want to be under 200lbs.
I have been awake with "the itchies" (really itchy all over) since 4am, so I was able to finish the book. I was also ravenously hungry (ate a lot of carbs for supper) so I went ahead and had :
EarlyB: 2 eggs, 4 bacon. Then a burger. Muuuch better. Not so hungry.
Contemplating a decaf... Having a decaf. Legs/feet also swelling from the bacon (I realize I've known this for some time. bacon is out, and I don't really like any other pork products anyway, too hard to digest).
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Counting Carbs, Ideal Amounts

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

The following taken from :
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-prim ... continuum/

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal†American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio†treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss
Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Going to use fitday to track my carbs :)
I feel newly inspired. I just want to look good naked ;)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

TexArk

Primal Blueprint

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Oh yes! The Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve.

The Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve
What’ll It Be? The “Sweet Spot†or the “Danger Zone�

My husband printed this out and posted it on the refrigerator and has been following it all on his own. The visual on the website is great! I have it on my desktop so I can be reminded.
Last edited by TexArk on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Going to use fitday to track my carbs
I feel newly inspired.

I would suggest, that on Fitday, there are several nice features among them being- a journal and mood tab. Use those. Track your calories along with the carbs. You might find out that you can have more calories if the carbs are lower. You might also be more inspired to give up or reduce the carbs, if carby foods cause other negative symptoms, i.e. itchy skin. You could very well find that grains are a main culprit but white rice is fine. Or you might not be able to eat that too very often. Only with a great deal of time and accurate recording will you know these things. Bear in mind the difference between correlation and causality.

Weight loss is doable for anyone. No one must be trapped in an obese or fat body. I look forward to reading about your success.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Kevin

Re: Counting Carbs, Ideal Amounts

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Yeah. that'd be cool, wouldn't it?
shamrockmommy wrote: ...
I feel newly inspired. I just want to look good naked ;)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:22 am

Thanks to all for the comments :) Nice to see you here!

Went to the allergest for 1st round of allergy testing. Food panel reveals that I am allergic to tomato, string bean and CHOCOLATE!
:shock:

I have no words.... LOL Actually I do, I really like apple crisp and such. Nice and warm and nom...

D: sushi. Yes rice. But dh brought it home. So very sweet, he was no let in on my master plan.

Tomorrow there is no school, so a nce day to goof off and not have to teach, yahoo!

Reading about what the Primal diet has to say currently.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Happy Monday!
I am happy to say the worst of the withdrawals from my med is over, yahoo. I feel different, in a good way. More present.
Anyway, This weekend was S's Friday was RED however as I indulged a bit too much on drive in movie food.

A new day:
Happy Valentines' Day!

B: Beef, coffee,
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I'm here! Confused as ever.
My allergy tests and visit to the allergist threw me off, a WHOLE bunch.
The allergist didnot think the reactions to tomatoes, green beans, adn chocolate were significant enough to be considered an allergy, so thank goodness, chocolate is OK!
However, he gave me the old "eat one less slice of bread and exercise more and you'll lose 50lbs in a year" bullshit line. I wanted to either smack him or burst into tears. Do you know I've been on a diet and told I'm fat or weak willed since the 2nd grade? Seriously? I was doing great on NoS (with low-carb) up till then and those comments derailed me emotionally up till today where I think I've got a handle on myself, I hope.
Stupid doctors. I should give him a copy of WWGF so he can upgrade his belief in the calories in/calories out Theory.

:( So that is why I have been absent. A comment like that sends me to the insecure bullied child I was. :oops:

Turns out I am not allergic to wheat, nor am I a celiac, nor do I have ankylosing spondylitis (gene test), so I was misdiagnosed years ago. I like the idea of low-carb but I get so bored with the same meals over and over and sometimes, you just want a stoopid sandwich!
I think my ideas of food continues to change
Emphasis on protein (makes your feel full) veggies, fruit, some bread, etc.

You guys probably think I'm crazy as much as I change my mind about food. I do think though, that the USDA food pyramid is bunk. Meat and veggies should be at the bottom.

Aaaanyway. Ugh. Sometimes I hate myself so much for this one issue I just cannot tackle. I have overcome so many things in my life and this is one I cannot get a handle on. 240lbs for a girl who is 5'.6.5" is not acceptable.

:(

I haven't had breakfast yet. I do think noS is the answer for me. Even if I do not lose weight, at least I can be more or less emotionally freed from the constant thought/threat of food...

Sorry :roll: kindof a downer today!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18