Giving it another go.

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anwen

Giving it another go.

Post by anwen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am

Hi. I tried the NoS a few years ago, but for one reason and another didn't stick to it very long. Anyway, I've recently put on a load of weight for a combination of reasons (medication, disability, stress, etc.) and I'm not massively happy about it, so when I came across the book in a box I was sorting out I thought I might as well give this another try. I made the decision on Saturday morning, so I suppose technically I've already had two S days.

Unfortunately today didn't start off brilliantly - the yoghurt I'd been planning to have for breakfast with a cereal bar thingy (not a heavily sweetened one) wasn't ready to eat yet, so I had to have cereal, which tends to leave me feeling pretty wobbly/hungrier than before I ate it. I can't have my lunch until about 2pm today due to an appointment, so I ended up having a small bowl of the yoghurt with the cereal bar in and then 'accidentally' ate a piece of my daughter's chocolate. *sigh* So, starting off with a red day, but never mind. Onwards and upwards!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Welcome back! I am also restarting after a three month hiatus... :D

anwen

Post by anwen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks! Well, I ended up finishing off the chocolate, but aside from that I did okay, am having two 'normal' and two 'small' meals because I have to take medicine three times a day and the afternoon ones can't be on an empty stomach, plus I have health issues so I think it's better to do four rather than three meals.

Haven't had breakfast yet, bought eggs and bread for scrambled eggs on toast, but I'm a bit worn out because yesterday was busy. Might just have a ham and cheese sandwich instead. Although I do have chorizo which would be awesome chopped up in scrambled egg...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 am

Welcome back!
Chorizo scrambled eggs sounds good...

anwen

Post by anwen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 pm

It was so good!

anwen

Post by anwen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 am

Rah, green day on the Habit Cal for yesterday!

anwen

Post by anwen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Oops, forgot to log in. Have been doing mostly okay, slipped up a couple more times in the week but nothing too incredibly awful, then had a fairly sensible sort of weekend. Weighed myself yesterday morning and I seem to be down a pound :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:38 pm

All right. Way to go. :D
Berry

anwen

Post by anwen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks :) "Accidentally" finished off a bar of chocolate this morning, because there wasn't much sensible food in the house. Got some decent stuff for later, though, going to have a baked potato with cheese and a bit of chicken breast (got two small ones, will give my kid one and a half, as she is growing like crazy right now) for dinner :D

xmbify

Post by xmbify » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 am

I can't have my lunchtime until about 2pm these days due to an consultation, so I finished up having a normal size dish of the yogurt with the cereals bar in and then 'accidentally' ate a item of my son's candy.

----------
http://www.oilpainting-shop.com