To: rose

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

To: rose

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:39 pm

I just looked at your progress chart. That's excellent! Would you mind sharing your routine (what kinds of meals do you eat, do you have any additional rules, what your exercise routine consists of). I'd be really interested to hear!

Jocelyn

rose

Post by rose » Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Allright... I'm flattered... I've already posted this kind of info but it's unlikely I'll dig it up... and anyway writing it up might actually make me realize the kind of changes I need to make to leave my current weight plateau...

Typical N-day:

Breakfast:
multicereal bread OR muesli
yoghurt
fruit (small banana or apple)
Bowl of unsweetened herbal tea
(adding any sugar at breakfast gives me cravings around 11am so I don't do it)

Morning: water.

Lunch at the canteen:
a plate with half veggies, half rice or pasta, and some meat or fish
a dessert plate of cut-up fruit
Sometimes the hot plate is too full and I don't finish it. As I don't cook, this is my main meal. Occasionally I have pizza and raw veggies, or fries instead of rice/pasta.

Afternoon: water. If sick/tired/utterly bored I allow myself a single cup of watered-down hot chocolate drink. NB sick in this context means headache and the like.

Evening (I don't cook! I am sooooo lazy. Also I love routine.)
raw or microwaved veggies
ham or cold meat or microwaved fish or frankfurt sausages or surimi (or a can of sardines...)
multicereal bread
sometimes a little piece of cheese or some tzatziki
Occasionally (no more than once a week), Chinese or Turkish take-away food.

Generally speaking my N-days are tame with few bad failures. Some weeks are worse than others though, when I am stressed I often forget to stop easting when I am full at lunch (since someone else fills the plate for me I have to be careful).

Typical S-day: last year my S-days were wild at first then I settled for a while into a routine of N-like days with the addition of the best pastry available as a 4pm snack.
Now my S-days are rather wilder than that (ahem) but I don't despair of getting them a little more reasonable again. The fact that I don't cook may be a problem: my meals are not interesting enough to make the S-days satisfying so I want SWEETS...
Family reunion S-days still systematically result in a huge stomach ache. I don't despair of working those out either! Anyway the stomach ache means my stomach has shrunk because I don't think I ate any less on those occasions before No-S, and I didn't use to get such severe stomach aches before...

Exercise:
1) morning routine on N-days
Last year I had a more demanding morning routine, say about 40' daily. Now I have a lighter routine (might be one of the causes of my current plateau) which lasts 20 to 30' but keep in mind a lot of it is stretches and warm-up to put my mind and body in the mood for more. The actual strength training or rehab part is very light and short (5 to 10') : M/Th shoulder rehab, Tu/Fr abs and back, W shovelglove for fun.
If I skipped any N-day routine I might add a Saturday morning shovelglove or whatever.

2) walking and stairs.
I walk a minimum of 2x10' and climb up a minimum of 7 stories of stairs daily. Easy to do on N days, I also do it on S-days if I can/feel like it. On days my knees act up I skip the stairs part.
I also walk to the choir practice (2x20' weekly) and to my martial arts class (2x20' once or twice weekly)

3) group exercise (great for motivation! I started at about the same time as No-S)
Martial arts class 1h to 1h30 once or twice a week. I also try to add a shorter 30' session by myself on Saturday provided my knees agree. This MA class is not too strenuous, not acrobatic or anything and rather low-impact.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart