Pump Water (Pull) and Giant Wrench (Push) - Now w. Video!

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
phayze

Pump Water (Pull) and Giant Wrench (Push) - Now w. Video!

Post by phayze » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:57 am

EDIT: Added links to my youtube videos for these two moves.

These go well together for the sake of balance (both philosophically, and physiologically), and because they were both derived from a thought I had about using the SG's leverage for conventional dumbell lifts.

(My apologies to anyone who's also been reading my training log in the "Routines" sections)

-Pump Water: Get into a lunge, as deep as you’re comfortable with and hold the shovelglove with your back hand, thumb pointing away from the head and your front forearm resting on your knee. Your front hand will act as a fulcrum for the “pump handle†so you can adjust the difficulty in the usual way of moving your hands nearer or further from the head. Now lean forward and pull with your back hand kind of like this guy is doing. Imagine that you’re working the handle on a large water pump.

This is a nice advancement on my "pull weeds/Start the Mower" move, which didn't offer an easy way to enhance challenge without enhancing weight.

-Giant Wrench: Lie on your back with your arms bent 90 degrees at the elbows and the handle of the SG across, and directly over, your chest. Push straight up with the arm closest to the head of the SG, using the non-working arm as a fulcrum to adjust difficulty. Picture lying under a large machine, or pipeworks and the SG is a massive wrench that your using to tighten a bolt or a fitting. “Post-industrial Shovelglove� :p

Make sure to keep your non-pushing arm's elbow pressed against the floor for stability. For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'd recommend against working too hard with this move until your accustomed to it - I take no resposibily for any broken ribs incurred as a result of dropping a sledgehammer on yourself. ;)

Confusion? Questions? Praise? Angry Accusations?
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:11 am

Just wanted to make sure that anyone who was interested saw that I updated this post with links to the youtube vids.

Enjoy!
1 Picture = 1,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks again, Phayze. Just linked from the movements page. You are the Apostle of Non-Canonical movements. :-)

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 am

Hmmm . . . an Apocryphal Apostle? Strangely enough, I think that really works for me. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words