Newbie - sort of

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lfee5

Newbie - sort of

Post by lfee5 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:32 am

I started my life change in February 09. I was 340 lbs and my husband was leaving for Afganistan. I thought I have to be out of my mind, how can I do this with all the stress of hubby leaving. Then I realized I am never not stressed so it might as well be now. My sisters and my Aunt joined me and we decided to meet once a week.

Our first night meeting my sister compared our eating disorder to an alchohlic "but we can't stop eating, they can stop drinking" So I decided to treat myself like an alchohlic. The only thing humans need to live is 3 meals and water. So I gave up soda and all snacks. I ate three full meals a day, and nothing else. If something special was happening I gave myself premission to eat.

The first couple of weeks were really hard but I have succeeded. As of 7/7 I lost 53 lbs and I am still going strong. My husband is home from Afganistan and my step-father passed away. My stress level hasn't changed but I have overcome it. I feel good about myself and losing the weight is enough of a reward to keep me going. We took our kids on a trip and I had no trouble keeping up.

My sister, Aunt and I still meet once a week but no one else has lost any weight, its more of a social get together. I started searching tonight because I feel like I need to be doing more. I haven't changed what I eat at meals and I feel like I should.

I am going to buy the book soon and read it for more ideas, I am so excited to actually find a group doing what I know works.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:39 am

Welcome aboard. You are doing great! That kind of fat loss is something to be proud of. I am sure with the additional support and information you find on the forum, website and NO S book you will be roaring ahead toward your optimal lean weight. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:45 am

Wow that's great!!!
Congratulations!!! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

The Great Fatsby

Post by The Great Fatsby » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:43 am

Lfee,

I like how you consider this way of eating as a "life change" rather than a diet. And what you said about stress, how it is omni-present, really makes a lot of sense. I also suffer from chronic stress, but I do secumb to the mindset of, "when the going gets tough, I deserve a little comfort (from food) "

I want to have this sort of perspective too, but something seems to get in my way. I keep making litte excuses for failure rather than embracing the force of what could really change my life.

Do you have any ideas why you have been sucessful while your sister and aunt weren't?
July '09: 67 kg (148lb)
Goal: 60 kg (132)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Welcome to the board and congratulations!

Over 50 pounds in 6 months is an impressive achievement!

Even more so given all the stress you were under.

I would be very careful about adding extra rules though -- this is clearly working very well for you as is, you don't want to risk messing with something that works -- especially if it works this well. Frankly, I'd be worried if you were losing faster.

But little tips, from the board and the book, on how to make the vanilla rules work even more smoothly, certainly can't hurt. Ditto the moral support I'm confident you'll find here.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:08 pm

The Great Fatsby wrote:Do you have any ideas why you have been sucessful while your sister and aunt weren't?
I actually think Lfee meant that she had had a conversation about her addiction to food with her aunt and sister, but she is the only person to have actually started eating differently.

Anyway, Lfee, congrats on such an amazing achievement! That's incredible :) Ur definitely an inspiration.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 pm

lfee,

I want to congratulate you on your success and wish you a healthy future.

I also want to sincerely thank your husband and your entire family for his service to this country.

Berry :wink: