My one year testimonial for NoS 2009-2010

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

My one year testimonial for NoS 2009-2010

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Testimonial time!!!

I'm very excited and figured that this was testimonial page worthy :)

I started NoS years ago, and had a lot of success with it, but then I had a setback for a few years and unfortunately gained back almost all that I lost.
So I recommitted to it about 16 months ago, and started to actually track myself more here by around April. I lost about 11 lbs between April and August 2009, and then I plateaued for a few months..
In November I changed my diet to mainly vegetarian, with fish and eggs and was focusing on that.. I still stuck to NoS framework, but again, was mainly plateauing during Winter, going up and down two pounds for a while.
Then in the beginning of March I cut out all sources of high fructose corn syrup and continued with NoS, as well as trying to cut out as much msg and artificial everything, and things started to finally "speed up" a bit, and I started to lose weight again.. I lost 3 lbs that month.
This month I've been ultra strict and continued with my elimination of junk ingredients, as well as switching from Soymilk, to Almond milk.. I was drinking soy for years and frankly a little concerned it was throwing off my estrogen levels and possibly making it harder to lose weight as well as other problems. These were little changes I made but have stuck with them, and have had very moderate S days for the whole year. At most we have one or two nice, normal sized treats each S day.
I'm happy to report I lost *another* 3 lbs this month and I am now officially into my 230's!!!
For the record, so I can remember how much I lose when I check in again next year, today I weigh 239.
I am very glad to report also, that this year, after five years of trying, I've finally killed my habit of waking up in the middle of the night and eating. I tracked that on a separate HabitCal, and my rule is, I can eat into the late hours, even past 11 or 12, but, as soon as I go to sleep, no more eating. It's worked well :)
Thrilled about that, because that has been a very frustrating and difficult habit to break, since I had pretty much been a night time raider for my whole adult life.
So, it appears that over the course of the year, I've lost around 17 lbs give or take a pound or two because I didn't really take note when I started, as to exactly how much I was. Actually there were a few months in there somewhere, where my weight exceeded my starting weight due to a short gaining spell, so if you count from there, I have lost more like 20 lbs.
I am absolutely *ecstatic* about persevering through, with the slowness and the plateaus and not losing sight of the basic direction I was going in for the year, and now, *finally* being into a new weight range which I haven't seen for around 2 years!
Thanks Reinhard for NoS and all the support from you and the board and my friends here!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Deb -- Congratulations on your fantastic success this year! :D It sounds like you've gotten into a great groove ... Kudos too on breaking the nighttime eating habit. That's awesome!

Looking forward to reading your future updates!

All the Best,
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Thank you Sophia! :D
8) Debs x

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Congratulations! I think perseverance is the key -- and you're doing it!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Dear Deb,

Congratulations! I am so delighted to read this.

It's so great to see your long perseverance though difficult times paying off big.

I'm especially glad to hear that you've finally got the "Zuel" issue under control :-)

(and that the habitcal helped with that)

Best to you and Richie both and looking forward to many years more of testimonials like this,

Reinhard

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Debs,
It actually brought tears to my eyes to read your testimonial. When you have so much to lose and No S is so slow, it can be tempting to go on something like MediFast, lose a lot, and almost certainly gain it all back and maybe a little more as well. It's wonderful to read your success at perservering!
Kathleen

navin

Post by navin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

You rock! You should have Richard play a celebratory tune on the sax for you. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses! :)
Kathleen, I totally know where you are coming from, and have had my "moments" in the past few years, where I'd be feeling like I'm getting nowhere fast, and then, I'd think for about 5 seconds, of trying something more "diet-y", because, yes, it's hard to be patient. But I never bothered going "off" NoS for something else, cos I knew, in advance, it would be a waste of energy, and probably make me miserable.
I'm sure that eliminating hfcs has been a huge factor in my recent success, but it's one of many things I've done to tweak how I'm eating.. still, I suggest looking into trying that.
Yes, here's to many more successful testimonial's to come! :D

8) Debs x

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:46 am

Hi Debs,

I've told the kids I'll buy anything that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or vegetable oil in it. Guess what? Strawberries don't. Milk doesn't. Even some bread does! I haven't definitely cut back on HFCS and, in fact, any processed foods.

Michael Pollen in his Food Rules book, has a great rule: don't buy anything advertised on TV!

Kathleen

~reneew

Re: My one year testimonial for NoS 2009-2010

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:03 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: I am very glad to report also, that this year, after five years of trying, I've finally killed my habit of waking up in the middle of the night and eating.
Wow! Congratulations!!! Keep reminding yourself of this progress! Good goin' girl!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 am

Thank you Rene! :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:42 am

It must be a great feeling. This helps my resovle. Thanks for posting!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 am

That's fantastic news, Deb! Congratulations especially on beating the night time snacking, which has taken great determination.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 am

Congratulations, gratefuldeb67. That's really nice going :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone!!! :)
8) Debs x