One year, 64 pounds (with chart)

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bookman Old Style

One year, 64 pounds (with chart)

Post by Bookman Old Style » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Thank you Reinhard! I started No-S on May 4, 2009. At six feet tall, and age 39, I was 263 pounds. Last night, a few days ahead of schedule, I weighed 199, roughly what I weighed as an undergraduate 20 years ago. My waist size has gone from 42 to 36. I feel great, look like myself again, and am excited to keep going on to a new goal. Not ready for beefcake photos yet, but hope the chart below might be interesting and helpful.

I'm doing (almost entirely) vanilla No-S. My only minor mods are a somewhat flexible approach to virtual plating, a single fortune cookie at the end of our family's traditional Friday night Chinese meal, and accepting the occasional tiny "sharing" bite of a snack from my five-year-old son. To my great astonishment, it's been fairly easy having a nearly perfect record on N-days. The "wall around the law" works for me. S-days are still a bit of a challenge, but nothing too crazy. Because of this, I don't use the HabitCal, but have found charting my weight very useful.

I'd say that changing my eating habits accounts for 80% of my weight loss. The other 20% is exercise. I lift weights twice a week, walk four miles home from work twice a week, and sometimes ride a stationary bike for 14-20 minutes. I enjoy working out, but with two jobs and two kids, I don't always get to it. Good enough is good enough though. As long as I manage a couple times a week, I don't anticipate having trouble maintaining the exercise habit.

Best of all, my relationship with food has changed. Last night, after leaving the gym, I briefly considered "celebrating" by stopping by McDonalds or the late night doughnut shop. After thinking for 30 seconds, I realized that McDonalds food really doesn't appeal to me anymore, even as a treat. Good doughnuts do, but I'll wait for the weekend.

Last edited by Bookman Old Style on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Congratulations! You've lost an amazing amount of weight, but even more importantly you've built the habits needed to maintain a healthy weight for a lifetime. Your family must be very proud of you. Thanks for sharing your inspiring testimonial. :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Very incredible! Good for you! It really helps us to see when others post back on here about their success. That's one thing about No S vs. other diets, No S teaches us to do it on our own for life (so we may never hear back from many of the successful) where most other diets require much more thought and effort. Thank you so much for this reminder. It charges us! :wink:

Go vanilla!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 am

Congratulations! Thanks so much for your testimonial. It inspires me to keep at it.

Happy Shrinking!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 am

Congratulations! Good for you!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Bookman,

Congratulations! Another guru-beating success story! (I lost only ~40 pounds -- how I sometimes wish I'd started heavier :-))

And thanks for posting the chart. As a former scientific visualization programmer, I love this kind of stuff.

Your "qualitative" comments are very interesting, too. It's great to hear that plain vanilla no-s was sufficient for you to achieve this striking success, that you haven't had much trouble with N-days, and that you've deeply gotten the fundamental appeal of no-s: bad "bad" stuff just isn't worth it and good "bad" stuff can "wait for the weekend."

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Congratulations, Bookman Old Style! That is really impressive, and the graph is super.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Way to go on your tremendous success and thank you for sharing your inspirational testimonial!!!! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Fantastic Bookman!!! Congratulations and well done!!! :D
Wonderful to read your post and very inspirational!!!
I'm glad you're really focused on new healthy habits, that's absolutely terrific!!!
Thanks for posting this inspiring news!!!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Tue May 04, 2010 6:37 pm

awesome progress, cheers!

on a personal note, what did you use and how did you make your chart? I love the 1 lb a week and 2 lb a week bars!

Bookman Old Style

Post by Bookman Old Style » Tue May 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Aw, shucks. Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I found the Excel chart template here

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/ ... chart.html

It's currently the top result when Googling "weight loss chart." I used the customizable one about halfway down the page. A teensy bit of familiarity with Excel is helpful for tweaking, but not very much.

JoanE

Post by JoanE » Tue May 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Very inspiring to me on day 2!

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Congratulations, Bookman Old Style! This is a wonderful accomplishment, and I love the chart. I am on a plateau right now, and it is so reassuring to see one in the middle of your chart (roughly the beginning of November - beginning of January), and then see additional weight loss. Was that due to the holidays? Did you change anything to get the weight loss started again?

It's great to see what a difference this has made in your life!

Bookman Old Style

Post by Bookman Old Style » Fri May 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks, Starla. I'm not positive what caused the plateau- it was discouraging at the time. I had no red days during that time. What I did have were the actual holiday days, and more chocolate, cookies and so on lying around the house to push my S-days into overindulgence.

The combination of cold weather and a pulled tricep muscle meant that my exercise was mostly vigorous stationary bike riding, versus the usual predominance of weight lifting and walking.

I kept weighing myself twice a week at the gym, but often didn't record it, since it had barely moved. Some semi-rational part of my mind blames this- that by failing to acknowledge that I was at a plateau, I perpetuated it.

Anyway, I just kept pressing on, until the scale started moving again. Good luck on breaking though. Reinhard is right- keep focussing on the habit, and the weight will take care of itself.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:21 am

I love this. I especially love that you didn't have to work out like a fiend to achieve it. Not that I want to be lazy. but when I think about wanting to turn some of my heavier friends on to this, esp. one who weighs about what you weighed, I don't want him coming back saying he wouldn't be willing to work that hard. He already bikes to work. Sounds like some resistance and moderation would go a long way. But people have to be ready for the message.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 30, 2010 12:50 am

Congratulations!
That is wonderful. I am new to this, but have never found something so liberating. It's helping the light go on!
I, too, struggle more on "s" days because the freedom if kinda scary!
Good luck and keep up the good work!
Liz

crackityjonesjr

Post by crackityjonesjr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:09 am

I have to say, Bookman, that this particular testimonial is very inspirational to me, given the fact that I am about your age (41) and almost exactly the same size as when you started (6' & 265 lbs.).

I have toyed with the idea of doing No S for a while now and think that your story may just be the thing to finally get me going.

So, thanks for your story and the inspiration!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 am

I'm just checking testimonials, and wanted to congratulate you. Thank you for being public with it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)