2 months in...25 lbs down

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ironsickel

2 months in...25 lbs down

Post by ironsickel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Well, here it is, the end of my first month already.

As of this morning, I'm down 18 lbs. I started out with a lot to lose (303 at initial weigh in), so I fully expect my pace to slow in the next few months.

I started with just vanilla No-S and the last week of the month added Shovelglove.

Really enjoying the diet. I've never said those words in succession before. :) I've since learned to appreciate food more and not snack all the time!

What's interesting, for me at least, is that No-S is very similar to my old eating habits for breakfast and lunch. I never really had a problem there. I ate sensibly and seldomly snacked while at work (weekends were and are another thing entirely).

My problem came in the evenings. I'd eat a RIDICULOUSLY huge amount of calories every evening. Some days, i would consume over 3000 calories from 6pm til bedtime. Then wake up at 2am for a snack.

The first week was the hardest, particularly in the evenings, but I learned if I couldn't handle the hunger, to just go to bed early. So I was pretty well rested that week. :D

After the first week, however, things got MUCH easier and I don't even really think about snacking at night anymore. I'm simply not hungry.

I've also read the thread about intermittent fasting and have to say I'm intrigued. This fits in with my lifestyle rather well, so I may look into that at some point. Right now, I actually feel like i'm forcing myself to eat during the day sometimes. I don't eat that much, but i'm often not hungry in the morning until noon, or if i'm hungry in the morning, i'm not hungry again until 3:30 or so...and by that time, might as well just wait for dinner.

Anyway, i'm rambling, but I wanted to post my progress and Say Thanks to Reinhard for creating this really simple way of life. I initially committed to six months of No-S with a reevaluation at the end of december. I've never been able to stay on a diet that long before, and if month 1 was any indicator, I won't have any problems this time around.
Last edited by ironsickel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Amazing.
Congrats! You should be very proud - your hard work is paying off. And, yes, it is hard when one is hungry to not eat..... But we quickly learn that hunger when one is overweight is actually a good thing. Nowdays people eat so much (and so often) that the word hunger is often relegated to a third world country - when it is actually a normal reaction that one has if there is enough time between their last meal.

I believe that any modifications you choose to make (within healthy guidelines, of course) will be fine. I, too, have found that I do much better overall if I don't eat anything before ten or eleven a.m. (although I get up at five). It works for me and that is what matters. I am more of a two meal a day person, with rare exception. Please do not report me to the Breakfast Police....

Good luck in the months ahead,
Berry

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Ironsickel--
Congratulations! That is amazing progress in habits and weight loss for one month. I was also a heavy night time snacker before No S. I ALWAYS ate after dinner...usually large amounts, at least 1000 calories probably more like 2000-3000. When I first started No S it was an effort not to eat after dinner. I'd get antsy and restless (note I didn't say hungry here). Now it doesn't even cross my mind. It's amazing to me--it used to be a huge part of my life and now it's not even a passing thought!

Congrats and good luck on you No S journey!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Congratulations, ironsickel. That's "testimonials worthy" (I'll post a link to this from the sticky discussion) and you're barely past the magic 21 days!

That's probably some kind of quantitative record for no-s, but the following qualitative comment made me very happy to read as well:
Really enjoying the diet. I've never said those words in succession before.

As for the "intermittent fasting," it does sound intriguing... but I'd be very careful about messing with something that is working like gangbusters for you right now (and that you are enjoying). Remember "the progress" trap and all that.

Looking forward to reading further updates,

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am

Congratulations and keep up the great work! :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ironsickel

Month 2 update. 25 pounds lost total. 7 for month.

Post by ironsickel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Down 25 pounds in two months. 39 down from my highest ever weight (recorded back in 2007).

7 pounds for the month.

This is a much more what i would consider "normal" performance. I never dreamed I would lose 18 in that first month.

I have determined (in my mind anyway) that a good chunk of that 18 pounds lost in the first month was water weight. That I probably carried for years. Because when I restrict my eating during the week, and therefore my carbs, I'm a much more leaner weight than I am on mondays after a weekend of S days. But i've documented that in other threads so I'll leave that be.

Probably with my next month's check in I'll attach a pretty line graph documenting my weight trend (i've recorded my weight every day since I began). It's a massive yo-yo. Gain 10 pounds every weekend, lose 11-12 pounds during the week. Gain 10 pounds during the next weekend. Lose 11-12 the next week.

That said, I have lost weight every single week (8 weeks in a row) so that's something.

I'm fairly certain that trend will end this week as this week is shaping up to be an S week from hell. Took an S day to visit a friend last Friday. Followed by the weekend, followed by labor day followed by my wedding anniversary (yeah...five S days in a row) and i'll be taking an S day this friday as well.

I've known this week was coming for a while so I'm already prepared to write it off. :)

Still enjoying the diet. Still enjoying the benefits. As i've said before, I committed to this for six months. Hard to believe I only have 4 more months to meet my initial commitment. It's been a fun journey and i've been enjoying every step.