Yearly Check In

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

audiomama

Yearly Check In

Post by audiomama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Last year I mocked my husband for spending $12 on No Sweets, No Snacks, No Seconds—yeah? Who needs to read that book? Just read the cover!

At the end of Feb I weighed 234 (Female, 5’7â€). I decided maybe No S’ing would be a good idea… so I did. The information on the cover was enough at first. I started reading the book within a few days for motivation and clarification.

Fast forward 28 weeks. On Saturday, I weighed in at 204. I’ve lost 30 lbs, and I’m more productive and balanced than I have ever been in my adult life. Since I can no longer distract myself with “I need a snack†whenever I’m having a hard moment on a project or with my family I have been facing my challenges directly. I’ve learned the value of clear goals focused on behavior rather than outcomes. I’m better able to forgive myself for not living up to my expectations from time to time and go forward from there. This is a whole new experience for me!

Did I mention I’ve also lost 30 lbs?!?! My experience with food has been nothing but positive during this time. Instead of feeling deprived, I feel grateful that I live in a place where I can choose whatever food I want for three filling meals a day. Food really does taste better when I’m hungry. I’ve struck a very good balance between flexibility and strictness by following the “don’t-be-an-idiot†policy. If it looks like gluttony, it probably is. If it seems reasonable, I don’t worry about it. On S days I try not to think about food, I can trust that I now know what it feels like to be satisfied.

I haven't intentionally exercised, but today I carried several grocery-filled bags to my 3rd floor office and then had to run back down for a forgotten item. On the way back up I noticed I hadn’t even slowed down. Everything is easier 30 lbs lighter. My energy is better when I’m eating whatever my body tells me it wants -- three times a day and only after looking at it all on the plate.

I highly recommend the book for understanding the complete picture. If everyone read it there would be no more posts complaining “No S doesn’t work for me. I haven’t lost any weight even though I only have one cookie each afternoon and a bowl of cereal befre bed.†I’m so glad my husband bought a book I thought no one needed!
Last edited by audiomama on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Too solid flesh

Re: 30 lbs lost, so much gained!

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am

audiomama wrote:I’ve lost 30 lbs, and I’m more productive and balanced than I have ever been in my adult life.
Congratulations, audiomama! The changes you have made in your life are really impressive, as is the 30 lbs weight loss.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Audiomama -- Way to go!!! It is inspiring to read how No S has changed your life in addition to your weight. I've found that to be true as well. Thank you for sharing your wonderful testimony! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Audiomama,

Congratulations and thank you for posting this!

This isn't just a great success story with very impressive numbers, but I love your pithy reformulation of something we talk about a lot on these boards:
If it looks like gluttony, it probably is. If it seems reasonable, I don’t worry about it.
I also love the detail about mocking your husband. :-)

Congratulations and best wishes to you both,

Reinhard

audiomama

close to the year

Post by audiomama » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm pretty close to my no-s anniversary (3 weeks away), but I know I won't be avail to post then so here's my yearly check in... As of this moment I'm 42 lbs lighter than I was when I discovered No-S last February. My BMI has dropped from 38 to 31. My fantasy goal is a BMI of 24, the upper edge of "Normal," only 40-ish lbs to go.

I choose to focus on my gratitude for being able to eat three satisfying meals a day-- when there are people in the world and even in my town who don't have that luxury. No matter what struggles I face in my life I can celebrate that abundance.

Make me sweet again, fragrant and fresh and wild, and thankful for any small event. -- Rumi

amake616

Post by amake616 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

What a fantastic, inspiring quote and attitude! Gibran quotes often have the same kinds of hopeful, powerful messages - I love to read his sayings when I'm feeling a bit down. Congratulations on your remarkable success :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

audiomama,

This is wonderful news -- thank you for letting us know!
My BMI has dropped from 38 to 31. My fantasy goal is a BMI of 24
Two observations:

1. I love the way you put this: "fantasy goal." I think it's a deeply right way to look at it: yes it would be nice to hit that number, but you're keeping the focus on behaving moderately and not on unsustainably lunching towards some arbitrary goal.

2. 38-31=7 , 31-24=7 -- "fantasy" though it may be, it isn't so crazy, given what you've accomplished already.

Reinhard

audiomama

Two years since discovering No-S

Post by audiomama » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:29 pm

In Feb 2010 I weighed 234 lbs. In February 2011 I weighed 196 lbs. This week (my two year No-S anniversary) I weigh 196 lbs. As I reflect on the past year, which has included my husband's bone-marrow transplant (cancer treatment), I'm calling "not gaining 60 lbs from stress eating" a No-S success. Admittedly, I've used a very lax interpretation of No-S. (The Less-S Diet?)

Goal for 2012: Revive my gratitude for three-meals-a-day and recommit to my No-S practice.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:37 am

Maintaining under such difficult circumstances is an achievement.

I hope that your husband is doing well.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

lemonzest

Post by lemonzest » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Very inspiring!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:53 pm

audiomama,

Thank you for your update here! I love to see people use this forum not simply for one-off testimonials, but as a vehicle for providing continuing evidence of how No S works long term, which is THE real issue for diet.

The fact that you have maintained a significant loss for another year is impressive. That fact that you did it despite serious life difficulties is a triumph. Congratulations and many thanks for letting us know.

Best of luck to you and your husband in 2012 and looking forward to more updates,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 pm

I think you are absolutely right that not having gained is success. Even without the stressors, most people in decent health are heavier a year later.

Good luck with greater compliance this year. I've had the greatest strides in months 22-26.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

audiomama

stopping No S results in weight gain

Post by audiomama » Thu May 16, 2013 12:26 am

In Feb 2010 I weighed 234 lbs. In February 2011 and 2012 I weighed 196 lbs. Last year I stopped doing No S (because I "deserve a treat now and then"). Just now the scale said I am 213.

I've been struggling a little bit to get back to No S, but that's the motivation I need. If I don't change my trajectory I'll be back to my max weight in a year. Target weight is 170 lbs. Ready? Set? Go... slowly in the right direction.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 am

I feel ya. Food is seductive and available. And we DO deserves treats! It's just too bad what food treats do to us. Got to keep looking for others; at least, I have to

I am having a little struggle right now, too, though I don't think I've gained much. Let's root for each other.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Hey, at least you caught yourself 20 pounds from your max.

It is tempting to say "I don't need to diet anymore!" once you've achieved your target weight.

And if we lived in a non "obesogenic" society, with traditional meal structures and cultural support for moderate eating, I'd agree with you.

But we live in a society where food is ubiquitous and cheap as garbage, where there are few social structures to discourage constant eating, where, on the contrary, we are constantly encouraged to eat, by marketers and even by self-styled health gurus.

So I find no-s necessary even now, years after I hit my "target" weight (I'm actually about 15 pounds below what I imagined was my ideal weight, going in). I don't view it as a "diet," but as a stand-in for cultural structures which no longer exist in a meaningful way. It's a replacement for (sadly) lost traditions -- though hopefully, if enough of us start eating this way again, we might build not only good personal habits, but rebuild some of these traditions again on a societal level.

In any case, thanks for keeping us posted and good luck picking up No-s again!

Reinhard

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Welcome back!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri May 17, 2013 6:06 am

reinhard wrote:
I don't view it as a "diet," but as a stand-in for cultural structures which no longer exist in a meaningful way. It's a replacement for (sadly) lost traditions.
This is absolutely the best summary of NoS that I've read--it really isn't about the rules (though they are very important). NoS's brilliance comes from the freedom within boundaries.

I've been following NoS for almost 5 years, and I still can't manage without the sane, sound, satisfying structure NoS provides for meal times.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!