Celebrating 4 year of NoS sanity! (and success!!!)

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmsurbat

Celebrating 4 year of NoS sanity! (and success!!!)

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:22 pm

I passed my 4 year NoS anniversary in July and I'm so pleased to be able to write this FOURTH testimony in praise of NoS sanity.

For those who want all the background, here's last year's testimonial post (with links to previous years): http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7858

So, what did year 4 look like?

Well, it looked a lot like year 3--I did lose another 5 pounds and a "half" clothing size over the course of the year. (Thus, a total of 50+ pounds and 5/6 pant sizes). This was not in linear fashion by any means -- I never stopped NoSing but different seasons of life (school time vs. summer; family only vs. many guests) definitely affect how much I put on my plate.

I also realized, via those monthly challenges people post, that I rarely have 21 days without a minor fail. But the key word is minor: an extra spoon of veggies, a cookie offered by a friend. I don't browbeat myself; I just keep on with NoS, and to the degree that I can come up with good strategies for avoiding the same type of fail, I do.

Also, even though I can say I have ingrained NoS habits, I still need the pep talks/encouragements/wisdom found on this board and in the book. I don't keep a check-in thread, but I do pop in everyday to read the latest posts and answer any when I feel I can add to the discussion. Part of me thinks that I should be past this need, but my reality is that poor eating habits/mental games don't necessarily go away, just that NoS trumps them. And if I don't pay some attention to my NoS habits, the poor ones silently creep up.

What's ahead for me, in year 5?

I *think* I've lost all the weight I'm going to by following Vanilla NoS and wearing a pedometer. Since I would still like to lose another 5-8 pounds, I'm considering various lifestyle changes: but none to NoS---I'm a Vanilla gal all around because every minor tweak over the years hasn't worked.

Some things I'm considering:

1. Changing my computer/desk set up to a treadmill desk set up. I like this idea a lot, just need to save some $$. We live overseas and there is no chance to buy one used, only new.... Even if I don't lose any weight whatsoever, I believe less sitting is a healthy lifestyle change all on its own.

2. Weighing every day to find my moving average. I hadn't actually realized that I lost weight this past year because with only monthly weigh-ins on a kilo scale, I'd be up a kilo, down a half, up a half, down a kilo, etc. every month. It was only when I looked at my records that I saw that I had, in fact, lost 2+ kilos.

For the first time ever, I've started weighing every day (instead of monthly) so I can get a more accurate picture of my weight. I've been doing this for a week now and it has gone up and down by 2 pounds (1 kilo) and as I far as I can tell it has a certain randomness to it. I expected Monday's weigh-in to be the most, but no, scale showed down 0.9 kg (1.5+ pounds). I can finally do this because the fluctuations cause me absolutely NO ANGST whatsoever. I know both rationally and experientially that I haven't really gained/lost xxx pounds of fat overnight.

I don't know that if this will help me in any way, but for now, I'm finding it fun and fascinating! :D

And may I once again give a shout out and BIG THANK YOU to Reinhard for so graciously sharing NoS sanity with the world and hosting this board. Many blessings on you and your lovely family!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Very heartening! Many thanks for sharing.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Congratulations, Vicki, and thank you for letting us know!

Nothing makes me happier than hearing from No-essers of long standing who are still going strong!

The details are great. Very helpful to hear about what *didn't* work as well.

Many thanks for your kind words -- and many blessings to you and your family as well!

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Congratulations, Vicki, wonderful news. It's good to see your analysis of what does, and does not, work, and the long term perspective.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:18 pm

You are an inspiration! Thanks for posting.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am

I think you are wise to accept that it's good to keep up with this board. Even after 5 years, those few who lose weight and keep it off still have a 25% chance of relapsing. If we live in places that totally supported our habits, it might be different, but we don't. Food is likely available all the time where you are, too. And for most humans, food is automatic pleasure and a life reinforcer.

So grateful to hear from you!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Congratulations. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Many congratulations from me, too! Have been following your testimonials every year now and you continue to be an inspiration. NO S ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Forgot to say if you haven't registered with the National Weight Loss Registry, please do. We need more examples of people who've lost and maintained (or even lost more) the way millions of people in the world maintain a reasonable weight: discrete meals of a variety of foods with little or no snacking and modest overages (eventually) for special occasions. Day in, day out.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Nay-Nay

treadmill desk

Post by Nay-Nay » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Hey! I made my own treadmill desk with cheap lumber scraps and screws.
There are also videos on you tube on how to make your own VERY CHEAP!
Good luck

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Excellent!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

vmsurbat

Re: treadmill desk

Post by vmsurbat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:49 am

Nay-Nay wrote:Hey! I made my own treadmill desk with cheap lumber scraps and screws.
There are also videos on you tube on how to make your own VERY CHEAP!
Good luck
Thanks, I'll look into it... Right now, as a quick and easy fix, I converted my desk set-up to be a standing desk... Fortunately, it is in the family room/den area so its rustic look is only seen by the family. :)

And oolala53, I did write to the National Registry but haven't heard back from them at all. Not sure how long it normally takes.... I do agree that the slow-and-steady weight loss/maintenance successes need to be heard. In some of my readings (general interest in health/nutrition/weight management), it seems that rapid weight loss can create its own detrimental metabolic effects that slow loss avoids...

Thanks again for the good wishes. Here's to NoS success for all!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:15 am

Vicki,
Love hearing this! Thanks!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 am

oolala53 wrote:I think you are wise to accept that it's good to keep up with this board. Even after 5 years, those few who lose weight and keep it off still have a 25% chance of relapsing. If we live in places that totally supported our habits, it might be different, but we don't. Food is likely available all the time where you are, too. And for most humans, food is automatic pleasure and a life reinforcer.

So grateful to hear from you!
I agree!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.