7 Months In, 55 Pounds Gone

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Phineas

7 Months In, 55 Pounds Gone

Post by Phineas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:51 pm

10 weeks on No S and I am down a little over 30 pounds. I started at 225 pounds and have surpassed my first goal of 195 pounds, which places me in the 'overweight' BMI range instead of 'obese'.

It is hard to believe how far I've come in such a short time. I have been rigidly adhering to No S for 10 weeks now, without one red day, although a few extra S days came due to an illness and holidays ect, but that's what they're for right?

After years of sluggishness and a growing mid section, I decided about 13 weeks ago to start getting active, exercising and eating a little better. Until I found No S 3 weeks later, I was still snacking constantly, albeit on a bit healthier fare. My losses simply could not have been achieved without this 'diet'. I have a good feeling I wouldn't have made half the progress while continuing to eat like I was. I always did alright during the day, but come evening it was a non-stop gorge-fest from dinner til bedtime. I'd eat an abnormally large dinner, then the beer would start flowing, then the snacks, rinse, repeat. When I started doing the math it was disgusting; I could easily pack in more than 1500 (sometimes upward of 2000) calories between 6 and 10pm every single day. Eating dinner and not eating anything afterward was the hardest part of this to get used to, but it has made all the difference. Already, it's become habit to me and I don't really think about eating at night any more. To curb the beer intake I simply don't buy it anymore. If I'm out to dinner or at a gathering, I'll have a couple of drinks, but I do not keep the fridge stocked at home any longer which has been beneficial as well. And, as if the health benefits to these things weren't awesome enough, not buying snacks and beer every week is saving me $30-$40 weekly at the supermarket!

I have, however, been doing a lot more than eating in a much healthier way. For the past 8 or 9 weeks I have been exercising about 60-70 minutes per day, 6 days a week, which has likely had a profound influence on the dramatic losses I've enjoyed. I've been "shugging" every weekday, and alternating days of walking and running for 30-60 minutes on top of this. Saturdays I only do my running, and Sundays I take off. If I wear myself out or get sore, I take a day off. Looking back just 3 little months, the difference between how I feel overall now is so incredibly better than the way I felt then. I have way more energy, my general pessimism about the world is shifting in a more optimistic direction, and I sleep so much better at night.

Thank you Reinhard for developing these systems, and to everyone on these forums for sharing their inspiring stories. It has made a world of difference in my life.

SEVEN MONTH UPDATE

I haven't been on the forums as much lately, but I wanted to stop in and post a quick update. Since the original post was made I have lost another 25 pounds, placing me right around 170. That makes for a net loss of 55 pounds in a little over seven months. I am still shugging every weekday and I am now running around 20 miles per week, and even signed up to run a half marathon in September. In my mind, this system combined with regular aerobic exercise is the most sensible and efficient practice around to shed unwanted weight. Thanks again to Reinhard and everyone else here who provides their inspirational stories and constant support.
Last edited by Phineas on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5'8" Male

SW: 225 9/4/08
CW: 170 4/21/09
Goal 1: 195 (BMI 29 ie not obese) - ACHIEVED
Goal 2: 160 (BMI 24 ie not overweight)

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:24 pm

That's awesome - way to go!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Great news Phineas!! Good on ya!!
Inspirational!!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Re: 10 Weeks In, 30 Pounds Gone

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Phineas wrote: It is hard to believe how far I've come in such a short time. I have been rigidly adhering to No S for 10 weeks now, without one red day, although a few extra S days came due to an illness and holidays ect, but that's what they're for right?
Wow!! Fantastic!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Phineas,

Congratulations and thank you for posting here! Dropping a whole BMI "category" is a huge success.

But I think just as helpful as your impressive (and impressively fast) results is your report of what your initial difficulties were (after dinner "non-stop gorge fest") and how by sticking with the rules and building habit you managed to overcome them.

Glad you're finding shovelglove and glass ceiling (more or less) helpful as well!

In this economy, the financial benefits of No $ are particularly appealing...

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 am

Phineas,
Congratulations on your tremendous success!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Wow! Congratulations on your success so far ... You're an inspiration! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Thank you all for your replies and well wishes!
5'8" Male

paulawylma

Re: 10 Weeks In, 30 Pounds Gone

Post by paulawylma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 am

[quote="Phineas"]10 weeks on No S and I am down a little over 30 pounds. [/quote]

thanks, for the post. I am just starting No S and this is the sort of thing I need to hear--esp the 10 weeks part. My company is having a 10 week weight loss challenge and I am participating. Originally, I was going to do a high fiber, low fat plan (The Spark) but I've never stayed on it for longer than 2 weeks and wasn't looking forward to it. Then I found out that there aren't weekly weigh ins just a original weigh in and a weigh out at the end. So I decided to give the No S a try, figuring that if I don't lose weight the first 4 weeks, I would still have time to try something else. but now that I know it can be done--and in 10 weeks, well, I don't need a fallback diet. Your success is my motivation. My team's weigh in is Wednesday Jan 21st, but I officially started No S today. If I can match your accomplishment, I will be extremely satisfied. Thanks so very much for your post. Now if someone questions me, I can say "It's been done."

manwithaplan23

Post by manwithaplan23 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Nice work, Phineas. Your old habits sound eerily similar to where I am right now(220 lbs, do alright during the day, but lose it during evening hours). It's good to hear this from someone similar to how I am. Good Work!

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:40 pm

SEVEN MONTH UPDATE

I haven't been on the forums as much lately, but I wanted to stop in and post a quick update. Since the original post was made I have lost another 25 pounds, placing me right around 170. That makes for a net loss of 55 pounds in a little over seven months. I am still shugging every weekday and I am now running around 20 miles per week, and even signed up to run a half marathon in September. In my mind, this system combined with regular aerobic exercise is the most sensible and efficient practice around to shed unwanted weight. Thanks again to Reinhard and everyone else here who provides their inspirational stories and constant support.
5'8" Male

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 pm

WOW! Congratulations on your achievement! This is very inspiring.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Fantastic news Phineas!!!!
You ROCK!!
Massive congratulations!!! :D
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi again Phineas :)
It would be terrific if you would consider perhaps posting a before and during pic?? I know it's not been a year yet, but wow, you have done amazingly well!!
I know I'd love to see what 55 lbs down looks like.
Although I doubt I will do 60 mins of exercise 6 days a week, I am shooting for an average of at least 30 mins five days a week.
I find your strict adherence to NoS, without making extra dietary tweaks to be really inspiring and I appreciate you sharing your success here!
I would love to be able to post a similar success story here 7 months from now!
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 am

Wow!

It's great to see these "new style" testimonials actually being updated -- especially with such impressive news.

Congratulations and thank you for letting us know!

Reinhard