Search found 160 matches

by vmelo
Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:49 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Salt: The New S?
Replies: 12
Views: 8331

I wish the government would stay out of my refridgerator. All the "fat" taxes and Big Brother restrictions on my food intake will not make a bit of difference to me healthwise unless I, internally, make the decision to eat healthier. It's just another insidious way for the government to intrude into...
by vmelo
Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Are you fasting in conjunction with The No S Diet?
Replies: 103
Views: 38971

For the past week or so, I've been doing a modified version of No-S in which I eat only two meals a day---brunch (or lunch) and dinner. Oddly enough, I'm finding this easier to do than eating three meals a day. I think these are the reasons: 1) While I never could stick to intuitive eating for more ...
by vmelo
Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Are you fasting in conjunction with The No S Diet?
Replies: 103
Views: 38971

I think the biggest benefit of fasting is that you realise that there is more to life than food-i hated fasting at first because my life revolved around food and I couldn't stand the thought of not having lunch at work with my colleagues or my lovely porridge for breakfast. I think a lot of the tim...
by vmelo
Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Miserable failure
Replies: 23
Views: 12354

Thanks for the good wishes, oolala53. Unfortunately, I can't even seem to stick to this (or any) plan for more than a day---so every day is an "N" day. The only good thing I'm sticking to right now is a regular walking routine---2.5 - 5 miles per day, every day. I need to get it together with my eat...
by vmelo
Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Miserable failure
Replies: 23
Views: 12354

I understand completely how you are feeling---i.e., that "addicted" feeling. I feel that way about sweets, so in one way, you are better off since you can actually make your cravings work within No-S guidelines as some others here have suggested. I seem to graze all day, and I eat sweets several tim...
by vmelo
Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: A Freak No More
Replies: 39
Views: 14970

After I realized that I was overweight and finally started dieting, I tended to peek at what slim people had in their carts at the grocery store, and I usually saw them buying the same stuff as everyone else, including the same bags of chips and 24 packs of soda. At first I did it in a way to valid...
by vmelo
Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: A Freak No More
Replies: 39
Views: 14970

It might not be PC to say so, but at work (I work part time in a coffee shop) I always keep track of who buys what. When someone obese comes in, they almost always get something really huge to drink, covered in whipped cream, AND get a pastry to go along with it (and sometimes, 2 or 3 pastries.) Th...
by vmelo
Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: senseless failure /rules frustration
Replies: 33
Views: 12590

My husband has been thin his entire life (still is), so he doesn't understand why I just don't eat less to lose weight (duh! Why didn't I think of that? :roll: ). I've been married twenty years, and it has taken me at least ten to convince him that his comments discourage me. So now, he tries to be ...
by vmelo
Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: A Freak No More
Replies: 39
Views: 14970

I understand the concept of community shame, and in some cases, I believe stigmatizing a behavior works. However, I'm not so sure it would work with losing weight because that behavior is already stigmatized to a certain degree in our society (as manifested by some comments on this thread; I'm not j...
by vmelo
Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: No S "mods" (add yours!)
Replies: 167
Views: 233935

I know I'm late responding to this, but I had to comment that your plan sounds almost just like a plan I was on for TWO YEARS in my 20's (about 15 years ago). The only difference is that I would allow myself a sweet as breakfast (e.g., a muffin or danish, etc.) if I wanted it. I got down to the thin...
by vmelo
Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Change of season disappointment
Replies: 13
Views: 9421

I think it's important to make yourself feel better NOW. Don't punish yourself by wearing the same clothes you were wearing 30 lbs. ago. I haven't lost any weight, and I had hoped to this summer. Even so, though, I knew I could not go back into the classroom wearing the same clothes I kept recycling...
by vmelo
Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: SUPER NYTimes Article!!
Replies: 10
Views: 7943

To me, it sounds like another opportunity for the government to infringe on our personal behavior. If the government takes over health care, I'm afraid that they'll start instituting a "fat tax" and justify it with the health-care-costs argument.
by vmelo
Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Enough with Drinking Water
Replies: 17
Views: 10049

Just thought I'd throw this in: My husband has a friend who works with the city concerning the water distribution (or whatever you call it; don't know his actual job title). He said he would never recommend that people drink straight from the tap; he doesn't either. He says that the pipes are old an...
by vmelo
Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: What is "Normal" Eating?
Replies: 22
Views: 11280

That brief article reminded me of a book I read a couple of years ago (and still have) called The Rules of Normal Eating by Karen R. Koenig. It was along the lines of several other intuitive eating books that I'd already read, but I really liked how she put things. One specific thing I remember read...
by vmelo
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: 100 pounds to lose group
Replies: 136
Views: 64172

Well, I haven't been posting a lot but I am finding No S to be a lot easier. In fact, it's almost a relief on Monday when I can pass on snacks, sweets and seconds and concentrate on keeping my day green. The challenge I am struggling with now is going from cooking for a family to cooking for just m...
by vmelo
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:24 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: MOG: What as happened to this forum?
Replies: 19
Views: 10627

rpm wrote:Sorry to ask but what does MOG mean?
:lol:

Thank you for asking!! I was thinking the same question, but I figured I'm such a nerd that I wasn't up on the "in" lingo of the day!
by vmelo
Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: MOG: What as happened to this forum?
Replies: 19
Views: 10627

Re: MOG: What as happened to this forum?

"Let's trash everyone who isn't living up to my idea of serious dieting" (KCCC: what were you thinking?) Winnie, please point me toward whatever I said that sounded like that, and accept my sincerest apologies in advance. I have never intended to say something of that nature, and am genuinely horri...
by vmelo
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The worst thing you've ever tried while "on a diet"
Replies: 18
Views: 9613

Nichole wrote:NoS/calorie counting is the only thing I've been able to do for more than - and this is no exaggeration - 2 days. I can tell after just a day or two if a diet will work for me.
Okay---your post gives me hope! :)
by vmelo
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:59 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: sparkpeople sparkteam
Replies: 9
Views: 7095

Thanks for the heads-up, renee. I do visit Sparkpeople sometimes, although I often take a hiatus when I get fed up with the posters' slavish devotion to conventional dieting wisdom. As a matter of fact, yesterday was the first day I've been there in a while. Coincidentally, someone posted a question...
by vmelo
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:53 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The worst thing you've ever tried while "on a diet"
Replies: 18
Views: 9613

When I was in high school (and really did not need to lose weight), I tried the infamous Grapefruit Diet, but get this: I've always DESPISED grapefruit. I can't imagine how I ate mainly just grapefruit for an entire week. My parents were terrific, but they were so easy to fool that I managed to do t...
by vmelo
Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:26 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: 35 pounds in 18 weeks
Replies: 29
Views: 17968

Re: 35 pounds in 20 weeks.

Gia wrote:THank you for the helpful feedback!!!!

To be honest, I am quite disappointed that 2lbs a weeks is too fast. Is 1lb a week the average then?
From what I've read on many of the posts here, people seem to lose 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. a week. Again, that varies widely. Men tend to lose faster than women.
by vmelo
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:30 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Scientific Research
Replies: 6
Views: 5251

Interesting article I love the quote from the English teacher. I'll have to use that one. I always encourage my students to look at the specifics of a study to determine who conducted it (which is a search for possible bias), the conditions of the study, and how many participants were in the study. ...
by vmelo
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: True Confessions
Replies: 2
Views: 2762

Yeah, those BLTs seem to be the hardest habit for me to break. And I really hate doing it even while I'm doing it. I feel so out of control and gluttonous (especially if someone else is in the room with me). I feel like a "thin" person when I can prepare food without taking a few bites (and I'm not ...
by vmelo
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I'm finding it harder to talk to "dieters"
Replies: 40
Views: 17861

I don't think anyone has any right to tell someone else if what they are doing is right or wrong, unless they are anorexic or bulimic or in immediate danger. . . . [snip] And I think if a man is eating McDonalds for lunch and calling it the Atkins diet, he knows deep down that he's not doing it rig...
by vmelo
Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I'm finding it harder to talk to "dieters"
Replies: 40
Views: 17861

KCCC, I know what you mean. I don't know why, but just for the heck of it, I sometimes visit diet boards. One in particular (which I won't name) drives me up the wall so much that I haven't been on it for at least two weeks. One of my breaking points for that board was a post by someone who was calo...
by vmelo
Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: A response to the TIME article on exercise
Replies: 11
Views: 10093

Although I, like others, consider exercise an integral part of my weight maintenance plan. It's funny, but I believe you won't lose weight just because you exercise, but you can't keep weight off unless you do. This has been my experience as well. In general, when I get down to the weight I want to...
by vmelo
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:10 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Great article in TIME--Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
Replies: 42
Views: 19185

I read this article a few days ago, and it actually discusses a concept that my husband has been telling me for 20 years: To lose weight, you must eat less. He has always said, "Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss" (He acknowledges that it's good for toning and health, though). So, when I re...
by vmelo
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:32 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Centenarians and snacks (and oatmeal :-))
Replies: 10
Views: 7727

Good for her, but doesn't she sound like just the teeniest little pain in the heinie? :twisted: :lol: Go, grandma! This is actually refreshing to see. Usually, when I read about someone who has made it past 100, the article always says that he/she "smokes a cigar every day" or that he/she "eats sau...
by vmelo
Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Back from Vacation . . . the good and the bad.
Replies: 7
Views: 5194

Wow---I'm impressed with how you did!
by vmelo
Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Committing 100% NoS and Exercise Habits
Replies: 7
Views: 4911

Good luck with your plan, Deb!
by vmelo
Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The evenings are so hard for me
Replies: 18
Views: 9484

I was wondering, if nighttime eating is under control for you now, what area are you having the most difficulty with? the fact that you have 'any' green days at all is significantly better than I have been doing lately. Thanks for the reply. My knee-jerk response is "SWEETS!!" Love 'em! However, if...
by vmelo
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Ready to get back to it...
Replies: 4
Views: 3342

Jocelyn, I didn't follow your check-in, but welcome back anyway :) ! I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd recommend a great book called Becoming Vegetarian (it's on Amazon). It is not only one of the best books on the vegetarian lifestyle that I've ever read, it's actually one of the best nutrition books I...
by vmelo
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The evenings are so hard for me
Replies: 18
Views: 9484

Although sweets are my biggest problem, night-time eating was a big problem for me, too. Now, I'll admit that I've been a dismal failure with No-S--in fact, I have yet to complete a green week. However, I do not eat at night anymore, so that is one habit that has stuck. What really helped me was hav...
by vmelo
Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 pm
Forum: No S Diet Testimonials (aka "yearly check in")
Topic: Thanks For Such A Great Program And Forum!
Replies: 6
Views: 15407

Congrats on your success, friscobob! How long have you been following No-S?
by vmelo
Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:47 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: WW vs No S
Replies: 20
Views: 10270

I think that over time one could incorporate the best from every plan and probably get back to where we were eating in the first place..... I agree with this. Over the years and years of dieting, I did manage to pick up some habits that are second nature to me now---e.g., drinking water rather than...
by vmelo
Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: eating slower
Replies: 14
Views: 8033

StrawberryRoan wrote:Yeah, slurping or drinking is faster than eating..

I like to stir chocolate syrup and CoolWhip into melting ice cream - any flavor, I'm not picky!

:roll:
Please---don't give me any ideas! :twisted:
by vmelo
Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:20 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: eating slower
Replies: 14
Views: 8033

Funny how different people are. I think food that is either really hot or really cold doesn't taste nearly as good as it does when it's closer to room temperature -- with just a few exceptions. Actually, I guess I agree with you because when I can allow myself to wait, it seems like all the flavors...
by vmelo
Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:12 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Lost after Day 21--any suggestions?
Replies: 29
Views: 13931

With all due respect to this school of thought, I've never really bought into the idea that after 21 days a new behavior automatically becomes habit. I agree completely. Years ago (in my 20's) when I was officially "on a diet," that's the only time I ate fruits and veggies regularly. When I was "of...
by vmelo
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:08 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"
Replies: 14
Views: 8707

I can clearly see how I got up to my present weight. Even though I am not weighing or measuring my food putting it on one small plate helps me to realize that small portions are all I need. This is so true. The odd thing is that I'm actually satisfied with a small portion as long as that's all I ha...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: eating slower
Replies: 14
Views: 8033

Sadly I haven't developed that habit. I eat way too fast - I literally could make another meal and eat it by the time my husband finishes his plate. And yes, he is naturally very lean. :x Me too, Strawberry! I have always been an "efficient" eater. I've tried many, many times to slow down, but it s...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"
Replies: 14
Views: 8707

Yep, I'm very small too, 5'3" as well and with a small frame and I know that sadly I need very little food. I've reduced my portions dramatically (lunch is a pita with hummus and tomatoes on top with a glass of orange juice for examle) and even eating like that sometimes will keep me satisfied for ...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:43 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"
Replies: 14
Views: 8707

I get what you're saying, BrightAngel, and thank you for the information on portion sizes. What I'm trying to do with No-S is follow the principles, cutting down my portion sizes. This way, I'm cutting down the calories without actually have to count calories, which I abhor doing. I counted calories...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:19 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"
Replies: 14
Views: 8707

Thank you all for your encouragement. Thalia, I do need to look at the No-S glossary. I love the Churchill quote (he so quotable, isn't he?). It's good to know that I'm not alone in this (although I don't wish it on anyone). With all due respect, I think one of your struggles is that you are still d...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:33 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I Love My S Days!
Replies: 12
Views: 7876

Is it normal to be craving sweets. This is my first week, I assume this part gets easier. Maggie I'm in the same boat. I just restarted on Sunday, and the first couple of days were deadly for me. It's getting easier as the week progresses, though. I've found this to be true in past attempts as well.
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:29 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"
Replies: 14
Views: 8707

The Frustration of "Mental Chatter"

I started No-Sing on Sunday (this is my third or fourth attempt within the past couple of years). I've been doing great so far. Today was a big challenge for me. I woke up hungry, but I waited until 8 to eat something (I usually like to wait a bit later). I had a banana with some peanut butter. I pl...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 am
Forum: Daily Check In
Topic: Nichole's Daily Check-In
Replies: 539
Views: 209573

Nichole, I've been following your posts with interest because my goal weight is about the same as yours (although I have MUCH farther to go that you do). You say that you're calorie counting in conjunction with No-S. About how many calories do you eat a day?
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:09 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: July challenge!
Replies: 91
Views: 28243

Okay, with much trepidation, I'm joining in the last week of this challenge. I've tried No-s at least three or four times previously and failed. I think the main culprit is that I can't seem to stay in the mental place that says "Just relax and let the weight fall off naturally." I catch a glimpse o...
by vmelo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: sweet tooth
Replies: 8
Views: 6201

I have a giant sweet tooth. It is my main downfall and, I think, the main contributor to my weight gain (that, and just eating too much, too often). In past years, I've vacillated between trying to cut them out entirely to trying to have just small sweet every night. Much to my disappointment, I fin...
by vmelo
Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:37 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: S Day Change?
Replies: 9
Views: 6687

I'm not the best one to give advice since I haven't ever successfully completed 21 days on No-S. However, I do know what you mean about waiting the five days, and I think it's really important to do what works for you. Also, I remember reading a post about a year ago about someone who reached her go...
by vmelo
Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Just to be clear...
Replies: 21
Views: 10158

Blithe, I think what you're describing is manicotti. Deb, a cannoli is a sweet treat, I think. (Boy, am I FAR too familiar with Italian food or what!?).
by vmelo
Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:47 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Be careful of unleashed animals when you are out walking...
Replies: 26
Views: 12894

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who do no leash their dogs. I live across the street from a beach, and in the summer, I can barely walk my dogs on the beach because of all the idiots that unleash their dog(s) on the beach---even though there's an ordinance against unleashed dogs. At the very...
by vmelo
Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I am a happy, happy girl!!
Replies: 6
Views: 3777

Wow--this is a coincidence. I was just poking around the web yesterday and came across this idea. I'm really tempted to rig something up for my treadmill. My husband keeps making jokes about it (e.g., "Why don't we just set up treadmills in restaurants so that people can walk and eat"---that sort of...
by vmelo
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Anyone ever try a "Treadmill Desk"?
Replies: 9
Views: 5337

Anyone ever try a "Treadmill Desk"?

Here's a link to a YouTube clip from Good Morning America about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPjN07JyVjo Apparently, a doctor from the Mayo Clinic invented it. It's a computer workstation on your treadmill. He recommends walking at about 1.0 while you work at the computer. Even though that's a...
by vmelo
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Noticing self-talk on S-days
Replies: 9
Views: 6069

My take-aways from the latter series... (1) "Anger" is a broad term, and our feelings are often much more nuanced. Therefore, it's inappropriate to think there is always one "right" response to anger. (2) Often there are other feelings underneath - hurt, fear, etc. (3) Exploring your own anger (How...
by vmelo
Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I can't stand this!
Replies: 24
Views: 12085

I used to get comments like that when I was in my late teens, early 20's. I wasn't even overweight (just at the top of my range for my age/height). I remember I was in the mall once having an ice-cream cone, when this elderly man walked by and ruined my experience by saying, "You better no eat that;...
by vmelo
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:26 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Noticing self-talk on S-days
Replies: 9
Views: 6069

KCCC, I loved reading your post (actually, I enjoy all the posts that I've read from you). I did a double-take when you mentioned the book The Dance of Anger. Many years ago, I went to a therapist to work out some personal issues I was having. She recommended that book to me. I bought it, read a bit...
by vmelo
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: S days gone wild again
Replies: 13
Views: 7881

I wish I was where you guys are. I don't care how long I've gone without sweets (and I've done that for months at a time in the past), I never get
nauseous thinking, seeing, or eating sweets.

I just don't seem to experience these dramatic turnarounds that others do. I wish I did.
by vmelo
Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Ugh. Depressed
Replies: 19
Views: 10823

I'm so sorry, Tiffani. I'm very thankful for the sacrifices your husband is making and that you are making. I have no words of wisdom, but I know what it is to eat out of frustration, stress, etc. It seems like an endless cycle, and there's just no energy to put into changing it (at least that's the...
by vmelo
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Trying again with a few changes...
Replies: 7
Views: 5429

To the OP, I hear you with not being able to get going with No-S. I don't know why because it's the simplest plan in the world, but I can't seem to stick with it. However, with regard to your post, what I found so interesting while reading it was the similarity of your mods with a plan I was on in m...
by vmelo
Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:40 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Snacking addiction
Replies: 34
Views: 15007

. . .For me, it wasn't because of the food-industry, advertising, or food availability since the 1980s. I personally have been "at the mercy" of reward-driven eating since my birth in the 1940s. One of my friends recommended the Kessler book, and my reservation before reading it was that it was goi...
by vmelo
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:36 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Snacking addiction
Replies: 34
Views: 15007

I would highly recommend the book The End of Overeating , written by the former head of the FDA. In it, he discusses several scientific studies that were done that show that food affects the same part of our brain as is affected by drugs like heroin. I can't explain all the details of the studies be...
by vmelo
Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:14 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Secrets of those skinny French women
Replies: 14
Views: 18925

But the real reason French women don't get fat is because they are obsessed with being thin. Don't let the studies fool you--I have three or four French girlfriends who are absolutely manical about what and how much they eat. They enjoy their full-fat meals with a lot less guilt than many of us Ame...
by vmelo
Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Spouses....
Replies: 19
Views: 10550

KCCC wrote:As I wrote on a similar thread, the only person you can control is yourself - and that's on a good day. ;)
I love this!
by vmelo
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Re: Healthier

Boa Vista wrote:Oh, and I forgot my Middle Eastern dinner:

Mediterranean platter: Greek salad; mjeddrah; falafel balls with tahini sauce.
Yum!
by vmelo
Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Boa Vista, I smiled when I read that you eat a salad with breakfast. My husband and I lived on a French island for six months, and he just couldn't fathom why every time he ordered an omelet, it was served with a bit of salad on the side of the plate (he's not a big vegetable eater, so he'd always l...
by vmelo
Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:26 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Pre-meal guilt
Replies: 19
Views: 10855

Wosnes, that's interesting. In 2004, my doctor recommended what she called the "half diet": that means eating half the portions you normally eat, even if just at one meal, particularly dinner. I tried it but it didn't last. I'm better off with certain foods (like a chocolate bar) being verbotem (ex...
by vmelo
Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Hunter Gatherer, the randomness of your dinner made me smile. That looks about as random as my dinners when I restart No-S every time. It's as if I say, "I want 5 different things, and I have to eat them all at one meal!" Thanks for posting your menus, Vicki. I'm encouraged by your progress. I, too,...
by vmelo
Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:26 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Ugly emotional stuff revealed by adherence to No-S
Replies: 12
Views: 7981

I hear ya'. When I think about not having food to rely on, I sometimes think, "What else do I have?" That's sounds pretty pathetic, but that's actually what I'm thinking.

Burying emotions under food is something that many people do. It's difficult to let go of it and address the problems head-on.
by vmelo
Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Question on best time for exercising
Replies: 16
Views: 9198

Butterfly, I should go to bed earlier, but I usually get to bed around 11 p.m. It's odd, but I consider myself both a morning person and a night owl---not a good combo! However, I'm fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to work from home for much of the time, so I usually take a 1.5 - 2 hr. ...
by vmelo
Sun May 31, 2009 10:24 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Question on best time for exercising
Replies: 16
Views: 9198

I exercise in the morning for two reasons: 1) Life gets in the way later in the day (not just my own excuses, but real-life problems), and I'd miss more workouts if I did them in the evening. 2) I like the feeling of not having to think about exercise the rest of the day. I hate thinking about when ...
by vmelo
Fri May 29, 2009 10:49 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: No-s take three
Replies: 8
Views: 6236

Oh my, Anna---I could have written your post. I'm on No-S for the third time, too. I am desperate to lose weight, too. My sisters are both on traditional diets, and I am so happy that they're losing weight, but I feel left out because I'm not. I can't blame No-S because I haven't stuck to it long en...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Thanks, KCCC. Your eating sounds a lot like mine, too: I actually really like healthy foods---salads, hummus, fruits, oatmeal, etc. Also, lately, I've been trying to prepare my foods in healthier ways--grilling, broiling etc. In the past, my husband used to cook, and he tends to cook like Emeril---t...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 4:09 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: What's the toughest S for you?
Replies: 29
Views: 11415

Another ice-cream lover here. I mean, what's not to like: It's got sweet and fat all in one! :) Also, I like to try all the "weird" flavors ("weird" to my husband who likes plain chocolate or strawberry). My current favorite is Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk. If you're an ice-cream fiend like me...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Wow, Thalia----your post is really encouraging to me. We're about the same age, and your menus seem to be about the same number of calories as my meals. Your post gives me hope! I need to lose about 35 lbs. to be where I want to be. However, there's a point at which I can't look myself in the mirror...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 pm
Forum: Daily Check In
Topic: Nichole's Daily Check-In
Replies: 539
Views: 209573

Nichole, I think you're doing great, and it's really fun to read your check-in. I wish I had discovered an eating plan as simple as No-S when I was your age. It would have saved me a lot of angst from regains. Also, those regains have really taken their toll on my body. This is probably too much inf...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 3:02 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Going for 21 days on habit starting today!! :)
Replies: 50
Views: 14545

Good luck, Deb.
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: What's the toughest S for you?
Replies: 29
Views: 11415

What's the toughest S for you?

I thought mine was sweets. Even though I definitely had a problem with snacking and portion size (aka "seconds"), I've always had a vicious sweet tooth, so I thought that would be the hardest part about No-S for me. However, I realized yesterday that one of the biggest challenges for me is not to "p...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Re: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?

There's something about this line of thinking that has me confused. Why would we be eating little while eating 3 meals daily as opposed to 3 meals and 2-3 snacks? Sorry for the confusion, wosnes. I had seen some posts on the board where people were eating bran flakes and skim milk for breakfast and...
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Okay---I'm an idiot, but I can't find a sticky for daily menus. What am I doing wrong?
by vmelo
Thu May 28, 2009 11:24 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Thanks, you guys. That really helps me because what you posted is not so different from (calorie-wise) what I'm eating. I wish I could just trust the program and go with it without needing constant reassurance. Thalia, you mentioned that you are a slow loser. How much have you lost, and how long hav...
by vmelo
Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Typical menus for successful No-Sers?
Replies: 32
Views: 22327

Typical menus for successful No-Sers?

This is my third attempt at No-S, and I think one key reason I've failed the other times is that I just can't convince myself that this will work. I keep thinking, "I'll bet those who are losing on this are eating very little." I find that I'm constantly having to combat this defeatist attitude. So,...
by vmelo
Tue May 26, 2009 5:03 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Does the size of a person affect the results?
Replies: 13
Views: 8583

Did no one mention PMS? :twisted: That alone is a reason why women may have a hard time. Hypothyroidism also makes a difference. I for one need a "lunch plate" for lunch and a "dinner plate" for dinner. Pizza is my thing and you can certainly have a leaning tower of pizza and 'legally' have a green...
by vmelo
Tue May 26, 2009 4:58 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: have I reached my 'happy' weight???
Replies: 30
Views: 14255

Don't even know if this old thread will pull up or not but I have been reading the archives. I am 5 foot 4 or five and charts say I should weigh 120/125 or so. I am small/medium boned but I have exercised my entire life so I have quite a bit of muscle weight. I am sixty years old and the absolute l...
by vmelo
Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Irrational "fears"
Replies: 7
Views: 4840

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! I've recommitted to No-S, but before I did, I really gave some thought to what was holding me back in previous attempts. So, here's my plan for this time around: 1) I won't lose weight unless I use my common sense. I know this is probably self-evident to al...
by vmelo
Tue May 26, 2009 11:21 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Back Again
Replies: 11
Views: 6394

I'm so sorry that you're feeling so overwhelmed. It's understandable. With regard to your weight and eating issues, I'll bet most of us have experienced at least some of what you're describing (I know I have!). It's frustrating when everything around you seems chaotic. I've seen other posts in which...
by vmelo
Sun May 24, 2009 10:10 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Irrational "fears"
Replies: 7
Views: 4840

StrawberryRoan wrote:How many hours a day do you think your greatgrandparents spent trying to figure out the best weightloss plan?

SR :wink:


What a great point! Thanks for your response.
by vmelo
Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Irrational "fears"
Replies: 7
Views: 4840

Irrational "fears"

I haven't been doing too great on No-S lately, and the siren call of calorie counting is becoming strong as I am losing patience about getting into last year's summer skirts. So, I really started thinking about some of the mental garbage I carry around with me that makes it so that I don't stick wit...
by vmelo
Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: I'm really hungry
Replies: 13
Views: 8781

So this is something I am going to have to address long-term. Left to my own devices, I eat lunch between 1 and 4 and dinner, often in a restaurant, between 8 and 11. My friends are foodies with a terrible sweet tooth, and they are supportive but not going to change their habits to accommodate me (...
by vmelo
Mon May 18, 2009 11:28 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Artificial sweeteners
Replies: 25
Views: 13300

I'm in the "avoid" camp. It's probably nonsensical, but I just picture some Dr. Hyde in a lab concocting this stuff. Also, though, I just don't like the taste of nearly all artificial sweeteners. HOWEVER, I found something called Z-sweet at my local health food store, and it's tastes like real sugar...
by vmelo
Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Weight loss objectives
Replies: 26
Views: 12188

I agree with those who have suggested that a certain weight should not be the end goal because you have little to no control over that. However, I do think that just focusing on behavior changes in and of themselves may not work unless you clearly see the benefits of those behavior changes. One of t...
by vmelo
Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: No S failure
Replies: 17
Views: 10091

I'm sorry that you're having this issue. I know what you mean, though. It seems that mindset is the most important component to any eating plan. For me, sometimes I'm "in the mood" to monitor my eating and sometimes I'm not. It sounds like you're in the latter mood. Perhaps you could start with just...
by vmelo
Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Observation of other dieters
Replies: 23
Views: 12203

The only "TV-dinner-type" food I've ever been able to eat and somewhat enjoy is a brand called "Amy's." They're all-natural, vegetarian with some organic ingredients, and they're not too bad. I still prefer a regular, prepared lunch, though.
by vmelo
Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: What do your S days look like?
Replies: 13
Views: 8686

Thanks for all the feedback! Reinhard, thank you for the link. Yes, I actually did listen to that podcast, but I appreciate the reminder. I remember you saying that the biggest concern of people who start this way of eating is that they think they're eating too much on S Days. That would be me. Your...
by vmelo
Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: The Benefits of Exercise Besides Weight Loss
Replies: 11
Views: 7626

Nichole, your point about exercise helping with weight maintenance is a very important one. I always used to go through this self-pity routine with myself as it concerns exercise. I was mentally always thinking "Woe is me---I was born with bad genes; I have to exercise." But one day I took a look ar...
by vmelo
Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Have you heard of this?
Replies: 10
Views: 6966

I did the Up Day/Down Day diet for about three weeks. Although I lost fast the first week (5 lbs---fast, for me), and it seemed easy for a week, those Down Days got old real quick.

It's not a diet that's sustainable for me.

Edited to add: Also, after week one, the weight loss slowed WAY down.
by vmelo
Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 am
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Kirstie Alley on Oprah on Thursday, April 30th
Replies: 34
Views: 15005

I recorded the show and tried to watch last night. I had to turn it off after about 10 or 15 minutes. It was so sad. I've been there my whole adult life - hating myself for being weak, for falling off the wagon again, feeling like I don't deserve to eat food like everybody else. Poor Kirstie. (And ...
by vmelo
Fri May 01, 2009 4:16 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: Happy to be on a diet?
Replies: 6
Views: 3459

Re: Happy to be on a diet?

This morning, as I was filling a bowl with Cheerios and whole milk, I sighed and thought, "I'm so happy to be on this diet." And then I laughed, because I have never thought that before, and I've been on a LOT of diets. I may have been enthusiastic and fired up, and excited to think I was going to ...
by vmelo
Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:33 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: What do your S days look like?
Replies: 13
Views: 8686

What do your S days look like?

I've been No-Sing for about 2 1/2 weeks now. My first weekend on the plan, I was really proud of myself. I only had about three "S"es, so I felt moderate and in control. On my second weekend, I wasn't so moderate. To coin a term used by another poster, I "perma-snacked" all day on Saturday and made ...
by vmelo
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:22 pm
Forum: No S Diet General Discussion
Topic: So, at what point does this get really hard?
Replies: 16
Views: 9438

My biggest challenges are a few of those that have already been listed here: 1) Practicing moderation on the weekends - I did fine the first weekend, but I was really disappointed in my second weekend on this plan. I pigged out and perma-snacked, and I feel as if I took a big step backwards in terms...