Less Active at Work, Americans Have Packed on Pounds

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Less Active at Work, Americans Have Packed on Pounds

Post by wosnes » Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 am

I saw this article at the Well blog in The New York Times: Less Active at Work, Americans Have Packed on Pounds.

I've been saying this for years. It's exactly what happened to me. I'll have to agree with the 5th commenter who said something like "Duh." But we're not only less active at work, we're less active at home, too. It's not just that many have become couch potatoes, it's also that it takes less energy from us to do our daily work at home as well as at work. We need to build more movement into our daily lives; make life a little less convenient.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Interesting article, Thanks for sharing.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

I was actually more entertained by the related article "Is Central Heating Making You Fat?"

As someone who lives in an uninsulated (until next week!!!) 1925 cottage, I can tell you that having a cold, cold house encourages sedentary behavior. That particular article proposes the idea that Americans started getting fat in the 1960s, and that with all the cultural changes going on at that time, the thing that made us fat was central heating.

What's next? "Does owning a Chihuahua make you fat?"

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 pm

What astonishes me is that with so many convincing reasons why we're so fat we aren't even fatter than we are.

Reinhard

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun May 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I can't help chuckle at how the rise in weight among North Americans is always treated as a "mystery" to be solved. People eat more than they used to, and move less ... yes, their weight gain is a most perplexing enigma. :)