Gave my self an "F"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

Gave my self an "F"

Post by ginmarie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm

So this week I ate a dinner that all fit on my plate and yet I'm calling it a fail. Why? because I realized afterwards that though I didn't have seconds, I still ate too much. We had breakfast for dinner and I had two pancakes, two eggs, a sausage patty, a small helping of home-canned peaches and a half glass of milk. I even went very light on the syrup. Still as I started on the second pancake, I kept thinking, "I'm done, I'm getting full, I don't need to finish this, better to waste it then wear it" etc...and yet I cleaned it all up. So for me that was a fail and another lesson learned.

My take away - new understanding of what No Seconds means for me. I've been doing well at adjusting my what-I'm-eating to be more nutritiously dense, but this has taught me to look at how much I really need on any given plate.

I sure like how this lifestyle is teaching me as I go along in a natural way.
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Sounds like a learning experience, not a failure.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm

hi ginmarie :) good for you! in terms of NoS it's really not a technical fail though.
i say good for you though, for becoming so much more conscious of the amount your body really needs to feel satisfied. me personally, i would have given the day a green for habit, but made a note on my check in thread or in the general discussion section like you did, to just talk about the new awareness and lesson learned.
so glad that you are feeling that you are learning naturally what does and doesn't work for you.
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Pinkcupcakes

Re: Gave my self an "F"

Post by Pinkcupcakes » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 am

[quote="better to waste it then wear it" .[/quote]

What a great phase! Love it - goingto use that one!!
If you dont want to be where you've always been, change what you've always done!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 pm

I agree, I wouldn't consider this a fail. If you are getting full and decided to stop that is great, but truly didn't seem like a lot of food to me..especially for dinner but your tummy is the one to follow :)..
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 pm

This is a wonderful observation! Knowing when to stop is really important.

keriamon

Post by keriamon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

I will admit to eating while watching a movie or being on the computer (I know we shouldn't, but my husband runs his business off our kitchen table and we don't have anywhere else for him to do it).

I have found that as I get full, I naturally lose interest in eating my food and stop eating. Then I'll notice that I haven't finished and take a few more bites and lose interest again. Then I make myself put my plate aside. By the time I'm done with my movie or whatever I'm doing on my computer, I can pick up my plate of cold remains and either put them up as leftovers or throw them out.

For me, setting the plate aside and forgetting about it is the key to stopping when I'm full. If you eat at the table, you might put your plate to one side (as if you were in a restaurant and want the waiter to pick it up). As others finish, they can stack their plates on yours, and you all can continue your dinner conversation without being tempted to scrape the plates clean. The other option, when you notice that you're getting full is to see if everyone else looks pretty done, and suggest that you all retire to another room to socialize. Clean up the dishes later.
Current size: 18 U.S.
Goal size: 14 U.S.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 pm

For me this would not have been a fail. I believe in strict vanilla No S. Granted you will not lose weight if every plate is loaded. However, you can have an occasional loaded plate and it is really ok.

I also agree with debrabuf that the meal you described does not sound so terrible to me.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 am

I'm in agreement that your "fail" was not really a failure at all. You just need to re-read your words to see that the day was completely a success. You've just had an experience with a huge amount of self-awareness. What you learned showed how much you've changed...and how much healthier you are. That's a huge success! You're doing great!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Wow! The words of encouragement are wonderful, even all these weeks later. This whole experiment-turned-lifestyle has been one huge learning experience and I'm loving it. I'm at 10 weeks, I've lost about 5 or 6 lbs but best of all I am SO much more aware of what my body needs to function well and feel great. Thanks again for the positive strokes :)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Cool beans! I've been wavering on whether or not a person should call something like this a fail, and I've finally decided. (I know you all can't wait to hear!)

If what you're measuring is no s habit, it is not a fail.

If what you're measuring is conscious overeating, it is a fail.

So if you had a different habit cal for "I know I ate too much somewhere today", mark it up! But don't mess up your no-s habit cal with extraneous info. No S may really be enough. How can you know if you add extra rules onto it?