The role of ultra-processed foods in obesity

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Happy Cooker

The role of ultra-processed foods in obesity

Post by Happy Cooker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm reading this great article by Carlos Monteiro in a public health journal. http://www.wphna.org/2011_june_wn4_cam8.htm

Nontechnical, very readable. Here's a sample: "When traditional diets disappear, as they have in many high-income countries, in practice the choices – when people can afford them – are between one type of ultra-processed product and another. Hence the vast number of branded products making health claims. In principle anybody – or anybody with the money – can construct an extremely healthy diet from what is available in supermarkets. But, as the rates of obesity in countries like the US and UK show, in practice this is not what is happening."

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 pm

That's really interesting. Thank you, Happy Cooker.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I've read about that a while ago and thought I posted a link to this article about it.

It's very interesting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:49 am

What's that adage? Never buy a food that advertises it is good for you? Probably an overstatement but there's a kernel of truth there.