Going to start again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

coedyraran

Going to start again

Post by coedyraran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

I've never posted on here before but I'm announcing to the world, I am going to start again. Last September, I decided to give it a go and between September and March, I managed to go from 243 lbs to 197 lbs. I felt so good but then things started to go wrong. I started to go really binge on the weekends and found myself creeping up and up. About 3 weeks ago, it all went completely and I started to gain even more. I am now at 224 lbs! That feeling people have spoken about where you tend to stop the bingeing at weekends never really happened to me and if anything became worse! javascript:emoticon(':evil:')
I am determined to stick to it this time and have started cycling 4 miles a day too for work. Any ideas as to how to control the weekend madness? I have noticed that drink seems to do quite a bit of harm as often the next day, if hungover, I can eat like a horse!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm new to this but best of luck to you.
Lisa, mom to 7

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Welcome and best wishes on your journey to better health. :wink:
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 am

Glad you are back and best of luck. Is it possible that you went too fast the first time and restricted your diet too much? And then when you fell off the wagon, you fell hard? The reason I ask is because this has been my experience in the past with highly restrictive diets. I could only deprive myself for so long and once I went off the diet, I would just eat and eat and eat.

I have not had that problem with No S because I have pretty much stuck to the basic rules and have been content with a decent but slower weight loss. However, I can tell by reading posts that some people are much stricter and add more rules to the basics. What did you do?

PS I like beer but beer can add calories and lessen inhibitions so....I sometimes satisfy myself with a non-alcohol beer rather than the real thing. Some of them are not too bad... I tried them as an experiment that I never thought would work, but it really has. I still have the real stuff sometimes but not as much.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Linguisticsgirl

Re: Going to start again

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:58 am

coedyraran wrote: I have noticed that drink seems to do quite a bit of harm as often the next day, if hungover, I can eat like a horse!
I have just started (literally this week) and have already discovered that this is a major problem. Not only does the alcohol contain massive amounts of calories, but the unjustified sense of self pity created by the hangover also makes me think that I should eat like a crazy person.

I have decided that the only way forward for me is to introduce the 'glass ceiling' approach and see how I go. I can't tell you if this is working for me yet but I can tell you that I am going to give it my all as I would like to be able to enjoy booze without the massive damage it can cause to my waistline, wallet and wellbeing!

Good luck!

coedyraran

Post by coedyraran » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks all for the encouragement!
To be honest, I found the diet quite easy- the first time ever! The problem seems to be that I binge eat on the weekend - as I say often if I've had a little too much the night before! However, my body seems to crave the stuff I have cut out during the week to compensate. I am a binge eater anyway- that's how I reached this point!
Still, I think the glass ceiling idea is a good one as it will cut down on the alcohol calories and post indulgent binge-eating. I am going to try and give myself one treat per day on weekends this time to see if it works. However, I am mindful of not restricting myself too much on weekends as it might start to 'feel' too much like a diet- exactly the reason I managed to stay on it in the first place for over 6 months.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Look on the bright side, you are restarting 19lbs down on your original weight (243 lbs down to 224 lbs), and you know that you can successfully lose weight on No S.

Best wishes for this.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:47 pm

I also tend to binge. I am hoping that cutting down on booze and planning some treats will do the trick. Failing that I was thinking about allowing myself one of each of the banned s's per weekend i.e. one sweet one seconds and one snack. However I am going on the advice of the long timers and not even thinking about my s days until after the first 21 days.

Best of luck!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:53 am

I binge, too, but I was not willing to use any mods. I had been having some much better weekends, but this one wasn't one of them.

Also, I wonder if you were perhaps limiting too much on N days? It's not good to leave all indulgences for weekends.

What do you think when you imagine using mods on the weekends? What is going through your mind when you do eat? It helps in coming up with a strategy.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:42 pm

You have my best wishes for your success.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com