New leg of the journey

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

New leg of the journey

Post by ginmarie » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 am

So, now that I've decided that weight loss is no longer my goal, I've been mulling over what if any changes I should make, mods if you will. Dh offered me a treat the other day and I declined. He said "Oh, I thought you were done doing the diet thingy?" He meant well of course. I answered, "Nope, I'm doing No S for life". But does this mean I need to do Vanilla as I have been for this whole year forever ? That is what I've been thinking about. I know I don't have to mod, but of course temptation seems to have a bit more permission now then I'm comfy with, if that makes sense. I guess I'm thinking, I don't have to be as strict now, but what exactly does not as strict look like, without going off the rails. How do I stay sensible and yet ease off just enough to feel less...oh, I don't know, school marmish with myself.

Anyway, these are thoughts I've been rolling around with.

Today, dh wanted me to taste test a new kind of cinnamon roll he had made (we own a coffee shop and he makes all our baked goods from scratch), he gave me the whole thing on a plate. I ate a bite and gave it back, giving him my opinion (yummy). It wasn't hard to give it back, it felt normal. I like that.

I think I've come to the conclusion that my N day habits feel just right, so I'm not going to tweak those but I'm going to add a new S event to my S list; Sweetheart & Sisters. These are when I go on a planned date with my honey, or out with a sister (best friend and/or actual sister). My sweetheart date is a once a week thing which recently switched to Monday, so bye-bye Friday nights, but that's not a big deal. Sister dates, I'm not too worried about being an excess, because they only happen once a month at the most. I walk with my best friend once a week and we usually have lunch out, but I've never counted that as an S event, in fact I've been strict about having a regular N day meal for that. Good thing or I'd undo the walk! LOL My besty is one of my biggest supporters really an entire cheering section!

So I guess what I've decided going forward is:

Continue N's - hey, N for normal - I like that!
S's are: Saturdays, Sundays, Special days (major holidays & my birthday) Sick days and S events: Super Special Social events, Sweetheart dates & Sister dates.

Oh and to save my sanity, I'd better add an allowed Small Smackerel of whatever my dearest needs taste tested. LOL

Well, I'll keep coming here too for encouragement and to post once in a while on life after boot camp.
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

JBRhode

Post by JBRhode » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Sister dates absolutely have to be S Days!! Thats something I decided on before I even started trying No S. My sister and I go out three... maybe 4 times a year... and I NEED to be able to have lots of margaritas and chips and salsa when this happens. I'd give up Thanksgiving as an S Day before I'd give up sister dates!

But I think that the whole point of No S - you find what fits your lifestyle. If its a genuinely special event for you that involves food, then making it an S day is just right.

Yay Sister Dates! I have one coming up soon!

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm

JBRhode wrote:Sister dates absolutely have to be S Days!! Thats something I decided on before I even started trying No S. My sister and I go out three... maybe 4 times a year... and I NEED to be able to have lots of margaritas and chips and salsa when this happens. I'd give up Thanksgiving as an S Day before I'd give up sister dates!

But I think that the whole point of No S - you find what fits your lifestyle. If its a genuinely special event for you that involves food, then making it an S day is just right.

Yay Sister Dates! I have one coming up soon!
:D I had one the other day that included a decadent delight that goes by the apt name of Fudgy Wudgy cake. It.is.amazing! and having with my best sister friend made it even better. :)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri May 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Aside from weight loss, I think the value of No-S is to get us back to saner eating habits. We have a huge problem in the US with what, how much and how often we eat and desperately need to get back to the more moderate habits of days gone by. With some slight variations, this is how we ate prior to the mid-1970s (?) and how most of the rest of the world eats.

Yesterday I read Michael Ruhlman's blog entry Culinary Intelligence -- An Emerging Trend?. I realized that no corporation, organization, institution, scientist or researcher is going to make saner eating habits a priority. For many of them, it would hit right where it hurts -- in the wallet. It's going to be up to individuals to make the changes and tell others, if only by example. Some people will write books about it and others will blog and many others will set the example or teach family and friends. Along with the habits come the changes in the quality of food we eat. Many of us have moved away from processed foods. It's up to us to teach others that cooking from scratch doesn't need to be time-consuming or expensive. Real food is more satisfying and enables us to get from one meal to the next without feeling excessive hunger. Feeding ourselves and our families well is not only rewarding, it's pleasurable.

EDIT: While weight loss is important, I think going back to the saner eating habits is vastly more important.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Gobble

Post by Gobble » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 pm

wosnes wrote:Aside from weight loss, I think the value of No-S is to get us back to saner eating habits.
Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what it is doing for me. I have only been on it a few days but love, love, love it. I feel content and in control. I don't even care if I lose weight right now, it just feels so good to not have to think about if I am hungry or full. I just eat my plate of food and I'm done....and happy. Love it.

I love all these discussions and testimonies too. Thanks, Ginmarie. It is so nice when you all share.