What's worse: smoking or overeating?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

What's worse: smoking or overeating?

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 pm

It's close, but (societally) overeating may actually be worse:

http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:5344184
If past obesity trends continue unchecked, the negative impact on U.S. population health is forecast to overtake the positive effect from declining smoking rates, which could erode the pattern of steady gains in health experienced since early in the 20th century.
(this article is co-authored by David Cutler, the "90% of caloric increase from snacking" guy I've frequently cited elsewere)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:26 am

Maybe that's good news. If smoking reached its peak and is declining, perhaps overeating will follow, though I wonder what pressure will be applied to have similar reductions to those of smoking. I've never thought it was wrong to be disapproving of smoking, but the vilification of the overweight hasn't helped them lose.

I wonder what miracle might make this happen?
[quote]f all U.S. adults became normal weight non-smokers by 2020, LE is forecast to increase by 3.76 life years or 5.16 quality-adjusted years. [/quote]
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:16 am

I am not surprised by that. I have heard a few doctors who have upheld the idea that smoking is disastrous, but that overeating, being overweight, and even for some, alcohol is worse. I guess we pick our addiction.

As the Aristotle said, "Travel the middle road..." (paraphrase)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

garros12

Smoking vs Overeating

Post by garros12 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:12 pm

I totally agree with you guys that overeating is much worse than smoking.
Overeating can lead you to gain weight further adding to obesity problem. Obesity can be worse disease in people suffering from this.
Whereas smoking can be cured with some kind of rehabilitation or several remedies given by doctor.

motorin

Post by motorin » Tue May 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I used to smoke about a half pack to a pack a day when I was in my twenties.

I am now in my thirties and haven't smoked in over 5 years.

I have gained weight (30 lbs) since I quite smoking BUT my blood pressure has gone down dramatically. Based on blood pressure data alone, I'd say smoking is much worse for you than being overweight.

Now I am using No S to get the weight off.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue May 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm really glad that I gave up smoking too (even though that may have been the start of my weight gain). I've known people who have died of lung cancer, but I haven't personally known anyone who died of obesity which makes the smoking risk feel more immediate for me.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I think they're equally as bad, but in different ways.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."