Quick question regarding breakfast cereals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TheExtroll

Quick question regarding breakfast cereals?

Post by TheExtroll » Thu May 31, 2012 3:43 am

What would be some good cereals that have little to no sugar? I have been avoiding the cereals that are in my cabinet since starting No-S a couple days ago. What should I do?

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 31, 2012 7:02 am

NoS isn't no sugar, it's no 'sweets' (generally defined by anything that you might choose as dessert or where sugar is the main ingredient).

I know lots of cereals have sugar in them so it's probably better to avoid them but perhaps not essential. You can often get low or no sugar versions of cereals, or you could try porridge/oatmeal, a toasted bagel, eggs, fruit... although perhaps I'm not the best person to suggest lots of alternatives as I never eat breakfast! :)

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Thu May 31, 2012 3:17 pm

How about Quaker Oats? The kind without added sugar. Or some other kind of faster-cooking oatmeal. You can make Quaker Oats in a microwave using a deep bowl in about 2-1/2 minutes.

Special K cereal, while not no sugar, is fairly low in sugar compared to other packaged cereals. Raisin bran contains raisins, which I think would count as fruit--but it also has some added sugar.

Look at labels--try for products in which sugar is no higher than third on the ingredients list. Sugar includes honey, syrups, etc.

You may have to look for cereals in health food stores, etc., rather than big-name brands. But just because it's in a health food store doesn't mean it isn't sweet. Always check ingredients.

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 pm

The Kashi cereals seem to be lower in sugar. I try to keep mine to less than 9g of sugar per serving, 4g of sugar = 1 teaspoon. I've been eating Go Lean mixed with Honey Bunches of Oats and I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I love cereal! I've tried Uncle Sam's which has almost no sugar in it, but it's like eating cardboard. I think. As a previous post mentioned, it's no sweets, not no sugar. I still eat a PB&J occasionally for lunch too.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 31, 2012 4:31 pm

What about Shredded Wheat, Grape Nuts, Puffed Wheat or Rice? As far as I can tell, none of them have added sugars.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Thu May 31, 2012 5:03 pm

wosnes, so true about Shredded Wheat, if you make sure to get the "Original" version.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 pm

JayEll wrote:wosnes, so true about Shredded Wheat, if you make sure to get the "Original" version.
I checked all of them online and while you do have to make sure not to get sweetened versions, all of the originals are sugar free. Also,Cheerios. Cheerios has a little sugar added, but there's only 1 gram/serving.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dale

Post by Dale » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:40 pm

I love Grapenuts! As well as the ones mentioned, I'd include muesli, raw oats, weetabix and bran flakes. (I know they aren't all sugar free, but they're not sugary).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Don't know if you have a chain called Trader Joe's but I'm partial to their high fiber cereal. No added sugar.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)