No Scale

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

No Scale

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 am

Our spring bathroom scale broke, I haven't used a scale in a few weeks. I am going soley on clothes fitting, and they are starting to fit!

It is kind of liberating not perseverating on the scale. (I made that rhyme...Eat your heart out Dr. Seuss.)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 pm

I think that's a good thing that your scale broke! Especially since science is showing measurements (especially waist) are far more important indicators of health than your weight.

I have a scale, but I don't weigh often. I've never been a big weigher as it's always seemed unhealthy to obsess over weight.

Good Luck!

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I think there is something to your strategy. My first and most successful try at no-s resulted in a loss of a mere 5 lbs. But, I went down atleast one pant size even though in the past on a different diet, it usually took a ten pound loss to see the same result. I lost the 5 lbs right away, but the inch loss seemed to come later.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 am

Different things can work for different people.

I weigh every single day.
I didn't weigh myself often for several years and when I finally took my head out of the sand I was about 20 pounds heavier than I thought I was.
For my first year of No S I weighed every day. I loved No S for it's wisdom about eating routines and felt mentally far better but at the end of the year I was the same weight as the start. Now I have upped my exercise and still weigh every day and have lost 7 pounds in about 7 weeks.
I don't consider jumping on the scales every day to be obsessive. If the number is good, I don't mind knowing, it's a good start to the day. If the number is less good I don't mind knowing, I'd rather know than not know. Either way I find it motivating, and being motivated is a good thing.

What I haven't found with myself is weighing less leading to a better weight loss. I find that only what I eat and how much I exercise dictates whether I lose weight or not.

So to everyone out there who does weight themselves every day.... You're not mad and you're not sabotaging yourself. It's just a slightly different approach.
When nothing goes right...go left.

liverpool

Post by liverpool » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:37 pm

I haven't been weighing myself recently. Sometimes I find it helpful, but at the moment, because my food and weight problems are all tied up in my self esteem and my emotions, it causes more harm than it's worth.
I imagine I will start weighing myself in a couple months, though, when my other problems have stabilized and dissipated as a result of the good habits I am building :) Weight is one useful measure of progress. Not the most useful, perhaps, but still worth knowing, so long as there aren't destructive side effects.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:24 am

I did weigh everyday. I guess the breaking scale has been a "blessing." Today I put on a pair of shorts, buttoned and zipped them and though, "Hey!" They are fitting much better.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79