I've been at the weight loss game for over 50 years

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ziggy

I've been at the weight loss game for over 50 years

Post by ziggy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I started dieting when I was in high school back in the 1950's. I tried them all. I was a psychotherapist for over 40 years specializing in the field of compulsive overeating and other addictive habits. I wrote a book about my experiences in Overeaters' Anonymous and how I understood the 12 Steps as a non-believer in God.

I no longer beat myself up over my weight or what I eat. And that is a great relief and, I believe, a key to permanent weight loss. But the other key besides getting off the compulsive eating/self-lothing cycle is finding a way of dealing with food that is workable and sustainable. This No S approach makes a lot of sense. I have started on it and it it turns out to be the answer to that side of the equation I will shout it on the rooftops.

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 pm

I've been thinking about OA, how it works, and if it would be helpful for me. I'm very familiar with another 12 step program. What is the name of the book you wrote? I'd love to read your whole story.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:09 pm

" I have started on it and it it turns out to be the answer to that side of the equation. I will shout it on the rooftops."

I don't have all your experience, but close to it as a lay person, and I's so glad to hear you say this. OA used to preach three meals a day and life in between. It changed a lot over the years as it tried to grapple with helping people with the difficulties of sweets and processed foods, but I don't think it got any more successful. I, too, see No S as a viable solution for most.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ziggy

a skeptic's guide to the 12 steps

Post by ziggy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 am

rungirl96 wrote:I've been thinking about OA, how it works, and if it would be helpful for me. I'm very familiar with another 12 step program. What is the name of the book you wrote? I'd love to read your whole story.[/quote

If you do read it inwould love to hear what you think.

ziggy

Post by ziggy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:38 am

oolala53 wrote:" I have started on it and it it turns out to be the answer to that side of the equation. I will shout it on the rooftops."

I don't have all your experience, but close to it as a lay person, and I's so glad to hear you say this. OA used to preach three meals a day and life in between. It changed a lot over the years as it tried to grapple with helping people with the difficulties of sweets and processed foods, but I don't think it got any more successful. I, too, see No S as a viable solution for most.
Like you my expertise comes from my experience-- not books or school.