"Food taste" in mouth = Real, or insanity?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

leafy_greens

"Food taste" in mouth = Real, or insanity?

Post by leafy_greens » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm curious if I'm the only one who has this problem. When I eat, I have a food taste in my mouth that makes me want to keep eating. It's not the hunger, it's that new food helps cover up the old food (sweets usually are my coverup food of choice.)

Ok, so "brush your teeth". Well, brushing, flossing, and mouthwash (sometimes twice in an hour) don't work for me, and sometimes exacerbate that underlying taste.

I've come to the conclusion that the "food taste" is psychological, and is something that I notice often when bored or stressed. When I get to work in the mornings, and don't want to be there or be working, I start to notice that residual cereal taste in my mouth (even though my teeth were brushed). I mindlessly want a snack. Anything to cover up that taste (but really to distract me from the task I need to be doing.)

Sometimes, the food taste will be so strong that a chocolatey snack is calling me like a drug, and I can't even make it the 4-5 hours between breakfast and lunch.

The end of a meal will also make me feel panicky, because I know there's no more for a while, and I will just sit there and think about wanting to cover up that taste in my mouth.

I often read "get up from your desk and take a walk." Well, I can't realistically be doing this all day and every single time I am bored/stressed. And NO -- it's not my job and I don't need to get a new job. I really like my job.

So, does anybody have any other insight into this issue? I see so many articles and studies validating No S, and about eating out of boredom, but never have I read one about a food taste.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't think I have/had exactly that, but the fact that you notice that it is in situations that have nothing to do with real hunger is significant, no?

I wrote a long response but decided to send it to you separately. In short, I'll say, yes, whatever you are feeling is unpleasant, but that's all it is. It is anxiety-provoking and uncomfortable and irrititating, but goll darn it, it's not worse than most irritations. It is unfortunate that it's like this, but it is tolerable and believe me, absolutely worth the discomfort for as long as it takes. Because it will get better. Then it might get worse again for awhile and then it will get better again and likely better and better. But you must go THROUGH it to find out. You don't get the reward before the suffering.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

liverpool

Post by liverpool » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 am

I totally have that too. And it is nasty.
But really, what happens if you eat something to cover it up? For me, it just spins into a vicious cycle of overeating that is way more uncomfortable that the initial desire to eat more. So I just tell myself no. Really firmly. And then try to forget it. I do let myself chew gum. I like Spry gum. You can get it at Whole Foods, or New Seasons. It has no sugar or artificial sweeteners, and I think the taste is really mild and clean.