Please tell me what you eat on N days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicole in MD

Please tell me what you eat on N days

Post by Nicole in MD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi all! A little background on me--tried every diet known to womankind (I'm 40 this year and a mom to 3 boys ages 10, 13 and 15). I recently lost 30 lbs using HCG. It wasn't easy but it was the only thing that has worked for me in the past 15 years. I am doing a decent job of keeping it off (fluctuates by a few lbs) by eating Paleo-style (protein, fat, veggies and that's about it).

I would LOVE to be able to eat following the No S rules and be able to stabilize but I truly can't imagine that I will be able to. I think I've put so many different restrictions on so many types of foods over the years (no wheat, no dairy, no sugar) that it seems impossible to me that I can eat those things and not gain.

Part of me was tempted to keep doing Paleo-style on my N days but I know Rheinhart doesn't agree with major mods. So please give me some ideas of what you eat on your N days. I guess I just feel like if I put a burger and fries on my plate a few times a week (even if I don't have seconds or eat sugar), I'm going to gain.

Thanks for any help you can give me...I just think it's going to take awhile for me to find faith in this way of eating due to all the programming I have running around in my head about "bad foods".
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm 63. Basically, I eat anything I want.

Years ago I read that as we get older, we need to eat less. I remember thinking "I won't be that way," but once I passed about 55, I found that it was true. It wasn't only about weight (maintaining, not gaining or losing), I felt better when I ate less.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater -- never have been. When I eat breakfast, it's usually whole grain toast and fruit. If I'm particularly hungry, I might add some peanut butter to the bread or an egg.

Lunch is usually soup and bread with some fruit. Sometimes I add raw vegetables or a small green salad, too. Unless I'm eating out, the soup is always homemade and usually contains some kind of beans and various vegetables. Occasionally I'll make a cream soup like potato or corn chowder

Dinner is pretty much anything I want. It might include meat and it might not. It's usually a larger meal than at lunch and includes the main dish, a vegetable or two and often fruit.

If I happen to eat a larger meal at lunch, then I'll eat a lighter meal at dinner. It's not just about calories, it's also because two larger meals daily doesn't make me feel well.

I don't avoid any food group. I'm not extremely fond of grains, so I don't eat a lot of them. The only foods I consciously avoid are most processed foods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Remember also that Reinhard's main focus is not to weigh the least he can. It's possible he might be thinner on a restricted diet (possible, but he is pretty lean-looking) but it's not habit-friendly. So, it is possible you would gain some weight if you ate a wider variety of food.

If you read some of the daily check-ins, you'll see that some people actually list their foods. Some of the testimonials give a general impression of how people eat. I'd say most people are far from eating Paleo.

It is hard to know how it would affect your weight in the long run because how you eat after a week might not be how you would eat in a few months. You might naturally want smaller portions.

However, I lost my 31 pounds (about 16% of my weight) also not cutting out any food group, though I, too, probably eat more vegetables and fewer processed foods than the average American. (And eat more sweets on weekends than many long-termers.) About 1/3 to 1/2 of my lunch and dinner plates are often (but not always) freggies. I also have SoCal fast food Mexican, pizza, and buffet Chinese a few times a month (at least) even on N days. I eat starch at just about every meal. That is how I want to live. I'm not at the low end of my normal BMI but I'm not overweight, either; that's okay with me.

Why not start with eating just a portion of carb with each meal and have the highest fiber version you can? Then work in a few more mainstream choices. You may be surprised how little it takes to satisfy you.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Nicole in MD

Post by Nicole in MD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks for the replies! I think I will start out slow with the carbs since my body really isn't used to eating them. I also eat VERY little processed food and only eat out twice a week or so.

I think I'll start with a slice of Ezekiel bread with either breakfast or lunch but not both and if I have a carb with dinner, it'll be a healthy one like sweet potato or quinoa. One of the reasons I gave up gluten and dairy is because of how they made me feel--bloated and uncomfortable. So I'm not sure that will change but I'd like the option of having either every once in awhile.
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

noni

Post by noni » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Nicole, that sounds like a good plan. I wish you well with No S.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Each of us is an individual, and therefore we all have differences.
Some of those differences might be cultural, some physical, and some due to taste preferences.
The strength of the No S plan is each person can make personal choices
based on individual needs and individual desires.
Some eat processed food, some avoid it. Some eat paleo and some vegetarian.
Some high-fat, some low-fat. Whatever it food one chooses, but less of it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 pm

I eat about the same on N days and S days. The only difference is sweets on S days that may become snacks and seconds.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental