Purposeful underindulging on S days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

Purposeful underindulging on S days

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Two brain-hacks I've started using on my S days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opini ... wanted=all

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093802.htm

I really like both articles, hope you'll find them useful as well. They nicely sum up the ideas well-known to positive psychology: smaller but more frequent rewards make us happier, along with that delightful thrill of anticipation. I've had two absolutely sane S weekends thanks to underindulging (putting some for later, postponing eating, getting small portions etc.) and just enjoying my treats in tiny bites.

megran

Re: Purposeful underindulging on S days

Post by megran » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:Two brain-hacks I've started using on my S days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opini ... wanted=all

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093802.htm

I really like both articles, hope you'll find them useful as well. They nicely sum up the ideas well-known to positive psychology: smaller but more frequent rewards make us happier, along with that delightful thrill of anticipation. I've had two absolutely sane S weekends thanks to underindulging (putting some for later, postponing eating, getting small portions etc.) and just enjoying my treats in tiny bites.
Thank you! Yes, for me I don't overindulge on S days at all. I tried once. Last Sunday at a birthday bbq we had (for my birthday, no less!) and I was ill all day Sunday. I actually look forward to enjoying my 3 meals now ... and on S days, I find I'm definitely more purposeful about my "treats". I remember the word "sometimes" and IF I WANT SOMETHING sweet (I never want seconds), I will have something SUPER delicious that I know I will love ... instead of just eating everything in sight to find something that will be satisfying.

I swear this way of eating is so freeing and amazing. I. Love. It.
Every day you do one of two things: build health or produce disease in yourself. -Adele Davis

no s started June 27, 180 lbs
Goal (155) reached 8/7/12
Surpassed goal and am 145 as of June 24, 2013

Nicole in MD

Post by Nicole in MD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:06 pm

I haven't started No S yet--still reading the book and finishing up my HCG protocol but I know on my S days I will still not have seconds or snack and will probably keep it to one splurge meal each day as opposed to 3 meals both days. I just think if I went hog wild both days, not only would I feel like crap come Monday but I will not be able to maintain my current weightloss.
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

elainewh

Post by elainewh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 am

I like this idea! I've been no-essing the last few weeks (this time, anyway), and last weekend I don't want to eat as much as usual. I hope it's just a short step to eating only when I really want to eat on S-days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for posting!

I have noticed for some time that the S days I enjoy most have fewer (but higher-quality) treats in them.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Last night I went to a tailgate party where I had seconds, thirds, fourths, etc., and today I'm still stuffed.

If your overindulgence on an S day carries over into Monday - on which you are not hungry - what would you suggest to stay within the spirit of NOS:

1. Eat a tiny bit on your three one plate meals?

2. Skip meals until you are hungry?

If you select no. 2 above, how many meals would you skip? :?:

Thanks!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Jethro,

Before NoS I came from a "I'll make it up tomorrow" mindset so now I have 3 tiny meals on Monday (breakfast was some raspberries, lunch spinach on 1 slice of dark sourdough). I think it gets me into the right mindset. Also, it helps me to get right back into my habits for N days as it's a difference to the leisurly S day structures.

If you don't have that challenge than I assume skipping a couple of meals won't hurt you. I'd then probably have a late, light lunch and normal (not a bigger) dinner.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021