America the Beautiful 2

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JustForToday

America the Beautiful 2

Post by JustForToday » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Anyone seen this documentary? America the Beautiful 2? I watched it on Netflix the other day. It's a documentary about the weight loss industry, the histrory of the BMI concept, America's obsession with physiques and body shapes that are inherently unnatural for most, and how we confuse extreme thinness with our quest for health and moderation. Apparently the man who made the documentary originally did the first one on the beauty industry, and this was his logical follow up. It wasn't high budget but I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone pursuing sane, reasonable steps to moderation and health.

I found the documentary's end message of moderation and sanity to be vey conducive to the prinicples on which NoS is based. I felt encouraged to pursue NoS to regulate my eating (as opposed to calorie counting) after watching it.

Also, it featured a profile of some people with eating disorders. My nine year old daughter wandered into the room and watched it with me and it was very eye opening for her as a young girl who is already experiencing the "hate your body and try to change it" message that culture sends out. I definitely recommend it to anyone here - it will make you appreciate the sanity of NoS (if you weren't already appreciative!) :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds interesting!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 am

I'm glad you brought this up because even here I see an emphasis by some on aiming for rather low weights when habits are the real issue. I still maintain that for many, though not all (I say in advance to my detractors), trying to use the image or a weight for the goal and eating as a means to get there is a losing battle. Let No S help you learn to dislike the feeling of overeating in general and to like the feeling of lightness most of the time and true hunger some of the time, and your natural weight will follow.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 am

I hadn't heard about this, but it sounds interesting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."