Snow Day (S Day?)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NERunner

Snow Day (S Day?)

Post by NERunner » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Hello all! I'm a teacher, and it looks like we're going to get a snow day tomorrow. Yes, teachers are more excited than the students at the prospect of a day off! Just wondering....how many of you would count that as an S day? It does begin with S, and sitting on the couch with a book and a snack or baking sweets is somewhat tempting. I'll probably keep it an N day, but thought I'd get some thoughts from others :) . I'm coming up on a year of No S and I absolutely love it, I'll be posting my testimonial after the new year!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I haven't thought about that for years because it doesn't apply, but I used to look forward to snow days. Whether I was a student or a parent, I always saw them as bonus free days. They were the days I got to do what I wanted to do -- no "must dos" on the list.

I would bake cookies on snow days. There were a couple of kinds that I always had the ingredients on hand and I'd make one of those.

An older neighbor girl used to always come and take my kids out to play in the snow. When she brought them back, I had cookies and hot chocolate for everyone.

As long as snow days aren't frequent, why not an S day?

EDIT: Now that I reread your post, sitting on the couch with a book and a snack was exactly my idea of what to do on a snow day.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am

I agree with enjoying the unexpected blessing of a Snow Day. But, I wouldn't look at it as a free-for-all S day to eat seconds, snacks, sweets whenever and however. That would likely make you feel sick!

Bake your cookies, enjoy your book, and savor a pre-determined number of cookies/sweet treats. Perhaps plan to put a couple on a nice plate and those are yours to enjoy when you will. When they are gone, no more.

Moderation in the enjoyment of treats has come to have the most appeal, and I greatly appreciate how NoS promotes just such eating and thinking.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Your call! I think I have done this at some point over the years, though not every time.

Enjoy, either way.

Reinhard

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Here in the PNW where I live snow on the ground IS a special event, so my personal mod is that when snow falls AND sticks, I get a cup of cocoa with whip cream, one per day as long as there is actual snow on the ground. That's my snow day mod. :D
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

NERunner

Post by NERunner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I did make it an S day, I baked brownies, had 2 small ones, and my snack while reading was a few saltine crackers. Thanks everyone!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 am

Given the extra S days I already allocated for this month, I wouldn't have made a snow day an S day. Glad it worked out, though.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)