No Lunch Break

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

No Lunch Break

Post by jld141 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Hey No-Sers!

I have a question, what should I do if I don't have time to take a lunch break? I'm a college student and have class non-stop most days, and I work in a lab during lunch hour and am not able to eat a meal. Usually I'll bring almonds and a granola bar or something and eat it on the shuttle to and from the lab (since those foods are portable), but sometimes I end up really hungry and binge later at dinner time.

Any suggestions?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Make sure you eat a decent breakfast. I'd ditch the granola bar (they're usually the equivalent of a candy bar) and have nuts, fruit, chopped vegetables, maybe a hard boiled egg. There are a lot of portable foods that can make an emergency meal. You could even have a pb&j or other kind of sandwich.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Question the idea that you need to binge because you get very hungry. You are an adult and can take your time, savoring your food, no matter how hungry you are. It's not like you're in a concentration camp really starving. You'll find if you force yourself to slow down, a normal or maybe slightly heavier plate of food will be enough even if you have gotten very hungry. And plan an activity for right after the meal so that you don't feel you can keep extending the eating time. The meal should be discrete, even if you are famished.

I hope you'll be able to change your schedule next semester. Planning in time to enjoy your food is part of civility and taking care of yourself. Resist the American inanity. It's part of what got us into this trouble.

I second the suggestions for foods superior to granola bars. Also, given that this is an unusual situation, I would allow myself, if coffee is permitted in the lab, to add a scoop of protein to my regular coffee, which I tend to doctor with cream and stevia anyway, if I could not have a real meal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)