False starts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Rufusb

False starts

Post by Rufusb » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Ok I am really looking for inspiration here. I have been reading the forum boards here extensively but what I really want to know is if people are making this work after a few false starts.

I got the book a few years ago but never really made it work

After 2 pregnancies, slimming world, low carb, you name it i opened the book again last week.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday were good days
But yesterday and today I have been terrible, back to my bad old days of bingeing and figuring once I have blown it for the day with one mistake I may as well eat everything I crave.

I know the all or nothing thinking is a huge downfall for me.

I am not looking for a quick fix and although I would love to lose about 28lbs I am not fixated on that. What I really want to do is stop dieting forever, set my kids a good example and be healthy.

So has anyone else out there had a few false starts and is now making it work long term?
I would love love to hear from you and get any tips.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I think almost everyone has had a few false starts.

Someone here (Over 43? oolala?) has a great analogy about mistakes. Suppose you dented your car. Would you go out and total the car because it already had a dent?

Expect bad days. They're going to happen. Either you'll have cravings or you'll eat something or at some time you shouldn't.

"It isn't making mistakes that's critical; it's correcting them and getting on with the principle task." Donald Rumsfeld

Get on with the principle task.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

adhollifield

I HAVE AN IDEA

Post by adhollifield » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 pm

for a short time, just to get back on track...
make a paper with 3 lines drawn strait across equally spaced from each other. now the 3 lines represent breakfast, lunch and supper. if you don't snack before breakfast.... there is an easy green. if you screw up between breakfast and lunch... you can still get a green between lunch and supper and another chance after supper/before bed.

Rufusb

Post by Rufusb » Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for both of the replies, they have both been really useful

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 pm

I can't point to them all, but there are MANY people here who tried, faltered, left for years at a time and came back to commit. They didn't all necessarily fall into line right then.

The post on giving yourself a green for each meal gap is quite good!

Though it's not Reinhard's suggestion at all, I have posted many tiems of the value I got and get from Judith Beck's recommendation that even before any "diet," a person get very clear and write down the reasons s/he wants to make a particular change, as in eating habits. Mine are not about weight loss per se, but reasons I want to eat sanely and moderately forever. In the beginning, I read them multiple times a day for a couple fo MONTHS, and still read them periodically. I can't tell you how many times those reasons popped into my head when opportunities to eat came up.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 am

There are two kinds of No S'ers who don't have any red days:
1. Newbies who haven't had their first red day yet
2. Liars
Everybody has red days. Everybody.

noni

Post by noni » Fri May 17, 2013 9:21 pm

wosnes wrote:
"Someone here (Over 43? oolala?) has a great analogy about mistakes. Suppose you dented your car. Would you go out and total the car because it already had a dent?"

I went to visit my mother this week and can usually keep the No S habit green, but not this particular day which involved almonds in a can. I trashed the whole day. (I did learn something from this) I complained to my husband about it and told him "I dented the car, then decided to drive it into the wall." He looked at me confused and wild-eyed. It was priceless!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm not the originator of recommending not crashing the car because I dented it. It was here on No S when I got here years ago, I think. But I spread its wisdom!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 am

I've been here since 2008 and am still trying to complete the 21 day Vanilla No S Challenge! :D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.