Unexpected NoS Aid: My TOOTHBRUSH

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

audiomama

Unexpected NoS Aid: My TOOTHBRUSH

Post by audiomama » Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm

I am No S success story (30lbs lower than before No S), but fell out of the habit for a variety of reasons and have had a LOT of trouble getting back to the ease I used to experience with No S. I have had especial trouble between lunch and dinner.

Recently I discovered that brushing my teeth after lunch sends a clear signal to my stomach that eating is done (Maybe all those years of brushing before bed?), and I have had made it to dinner without snacking even on Tues/Wed (my personally challenging days).

Today (a Wednesday) my 10 year old asked me to taste and give feedback on something she was making for a bake sale. I took a tiny bite... and wanted another big bite. I was about to devour the rest of the dessert that cracked on its way out of the pan when I remembered the toothbrush. After brushing my teeth and drinking a glass of water, my craving was gone. Since this was a flavor craving and not much hunger, I then made it easily to dinner! Hooray!!!

Give tooth-brushing a try! :D

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu May 16, 2013 2:28 am

I second that audiomama!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 pm

A few years ago, I participated in a program sponsored by the Brian Wansink site on ways to counteract mindless eating. Brushing your teeth right after a meal was one of the suggestions.

I got a lot of suggestions, but I did hardly any of them! Still, I've done reasonably well with No S. It's the cake. Everything else is icing.

Of, on N days, it's the potatoes. Everything else is gravy.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Although I haven't been systematic about it, I've noticed that effect too: brushing your teeth after a meal is a great "punctuation mark." Probably not bad for your teeth, either. :-)

noni

Post by noni » Fri May 17, 2013 8:56 pm

This never worked for me, sadly, but it always has for my husband. He is never on a diet and certainly loves his sweets, but at night as soon as he brushes his teeth, eating is over for him.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 29, 2013 3:22 pm

It doesn't work for me either, lol! But to each his own.