My first day!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clarebear

My first day!

Post by clarebear » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am

Hello

I have started no s today and I am feeling very positive about it! I found it by accident after my friend had said she had lost 3lbs last week by cutting out snacks.

I have to say, I feel like a weight has been lifted from me! I have spent a lot of time reading through the forum and people's success stories and I am so excited! I have spent the latter of my teens up until now (27) yo yoing even though I hate to admit it! I have a healthy lifestyle with regards to exercise but it's my eating and snacking that has always let me down. I know the first couple of weeks isn't going to be easy, as I am having to change old habits but I really feel I am going to be able to achieve my goals. I have never written on a forum before but I have decided to as I think if I record my progress here it will give me the boost I need.

I am getting married in May 2014, so that is my main reason for starting this, I want to feel comfortable on my wedding day. I have around 20bs that I want to lose. My dress fits perfectly now but it would be an amazing feeling if it had to be taken in a little!

Will let you know how I am getting on!

:D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am

Welcome!

No-S is simple to understand, but it's not always easy in a culture that pushes snacks. It is a sane way of eating.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 am

Thank you!

I am looking forward to the change and the results!
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

elleemay

Excited!

Post by elleemay » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Clare I'll post my progress on here too!

Going to weigh and measure myself today and will weigh and measure myself again in 3/4 weeks to see the results!

Already I feel so much better, it's been almost 2 weeks (will be 2 weeks on Thursday) since I cut out snacks and rubbish drinks! I can actually also tell that I've lost weight from the clothes I've got on!

Just can't wait for the day that I run upstairs and my backside doesn't wobble!!

It's been over a year since I started Cambridge diet and even though I did really well with it I'm now back where I started as I couldn't maintain that daft diet. Eating healthy foods and cutting out snacks is so much better!

Kxx

:D

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:37 pm

it's youuuuu!!
only realised half way through haha :)
Starting weight 167 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Welcome, clarebear! Even more than losing weight, the habits of No S will sustain you through a lot more than your wedding. This is the basic way urban French women eat and they don't tend to gain a lot of weight during their pregnancies so there is not that issue that sidetracks so many American women. It can be very hard not to think, "What's the problem with this quick bite or that few nuts or grapes, etc.?" But you can do that on weekends, and even that will decrease.

Stick with us!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks Oolala53
I am excited to have started a lifestyle change rather than a diet!
It has come in time for my wedding but as you say it is sustainable for life including when I start a family :)
Starting weight 167 lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Welcome!

I so wish I had found this diet before I got married! I've been married for 14 years & have since gained 60 lbs--ugh! After I got married I realized I couldn't follow traditional diets anymore (been on them since age 10) so tried various non-diet/intuitive eating techniques.

Clearly that wasn't the answer but I didn't know what is. I think NoS diet is a great solution to that lifelong puzzle of how to have weight control without losing your sanity, self-esteem & health.

Best of luck to you! This is the best wedding gift you could possibly give yourself!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Broca

Post by Broca » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 pm

"This is the best wedding gift you could possibly give yourself! ". I totally agree Linda! I think it would be a great gift for one's children too - I so desperately wanted 'rules' for feeding my kids when they were young and No S would have provided a structure to follow. With modifications of course. My youngest is off to college this fall, so my work is done, but feeding them was such a struggle! Picky eaters, uncooperative husband... If I could do it all over with what I know now!

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:17 am

Thank you both! :)
Starting weight 167 lbs

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am

Welcome clarebear! You are at the beginning of an exciting new journey. Hopefully, like me, you'll find that you are no longer thinking (too much!) about food in between meal times - it's quite liberating. It's always a good thing to give your body a break from digesting food. I used to calorie count so I know that simply cutting out snacks wiped 500+ calories from my day. 500 cals is a whole meal!
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 am

I am very hungry at the minute, 90 mins til dinner break! I think it's just because I am so used to snacking in between, it's going to take me 21 days to get out the habit!
Just got to stick with it as the benefits are going to pay off!!
Starting weight 167 lbs

jw

Post by jw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 am

Great attitude, clarebear! 90 minutes before your dinner is when you are supposed to start getting an appetite. After a few weeks, you will have lost the snack urge -- you won't even think about it any more! You are off to a wonderful start!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Just enjoyed a nandos chicken pitta with mash and coleslaw! It was SO good!
Having to remind myself that I don't need to eat so fast!-which is hard as I do it without realising! :roll:

thanks for all the positive comments!
Starting weight 167 lbs

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Remember the phrase "working up an appetite"? That's what that hunger you were experiencing 90 minutes before your Nandos meal :)

NoS = don't ruin your appetite
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.

Broca

Post by Broca » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 am

I've found that hour or so of hunger I feel before a meal doesn't bother me as much anymore. I drink water to help. But best of all it makes me anticipate the upcoming meal so much! And so I enjoy it all the more.

Recently my husband and I went out to dinner with his parents and I worried I would get too hungry if we ate late, so I ate something to 'tide me over' , but it being an S day it was a largish snack, and it totally ruined my nice dinner because I wasn't the least bit hungry!! Lesson learned! A glass of milk would have been fine! If anything!

Every week a new lesson learned! :D

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:29 pm

First S day is going well!
Had a normal breakfast, bought a flapjack to snack on earlier and I ate half and put rest away for later!
Seems that after just a week on no s I'm picking up good habits
:-D
Starting weight 167 lbs