Why do I feel terrible?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tomj777

Why do I feel terrible?

Post by tomj777 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 am

I've been doing this diet for a week, no cheating, three one plate meals, no snacking, no seconds, no sweets. I haven't felt good at all. I just feel tired and ravenous a lot. A typical day for me would be:
Breakfast: greek yogurt with stevia and berries, toast with almond butter, an apple.

Lunch: An Atkins frozen meal, a tangerine, a few nuts.

Dinner: A couple of slices of pizza, salad, a small smoothie.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:44 am

Hi Tomj- I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time.
It would be helpful to know what a typical eating pattern was like for you before NoS. It could be that you're not eating enough food, if you were used to eating a lot more, or perhaps your body is having a hard time adjusting to the gaps, if you were used to snacking a lot.
Are you very active, or work out a lot?
I would try the option of drinking milk or diluted orange juice when you feel particularly off, especially before or after exercise.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

tomj777

Post by tomj777 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 am

Hi,

Before, this, I would always have a mid morning snack and snack a lot at night. I do a few 30 minute workouts per week. This week, by a couple of hours before lunch time or dinner time, I start feeling very weak and tired, very hungry, etc.
I'm in a bad mood a lot and tonight I'm so tired I had to lie down after eating dinner.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 am

Sounds like your body is having a hard time adjusting to the new routine. I think whatever we're used to doing, eating pattern-wise gets the body used to that and for some of us it's hard to switch.
Do you have a lot of weight to lose? I'd suggest bigger meals for now, and a glass of milk between meals. It may just take a couple of weeks for you to get used the new routine, and for blood sugar levels to adjust to the new pattern.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Tomj,

it sounds to me like you might be being too hard on yourself. Digestive systems are very emotional things, very feelingful parts of ourselves.

Going from heavy snacking to 3 meals which sound a bit low-calorie to me is maybe being a bit too drastic with yourself. Maybe try 3 meals but make them as enjoyable and satisfying as they can be? And the milk between meals sounds a good suggestion too.

Be patient with yourself, find your way. You are obviously disciplined, I think if you make the meals more robust you should find it getting easier. Good luck.

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Sounds like sugar withdrawl to me. Osoniye is right - stick with bigger meals and have a glass of milk if you are really feeling rotten. Herbal tea helps too - after a week in just hang in there it is about to get better for you.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:56 pm

There could be a number of reasons you're not feeling well. If you've changed what you eat there could be a period of adjustment to the new foods. Some of the fatigue could be due to seasonal allergies.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 am

If you are a man or are used to eating a lot more food, consider bigger meals and see what happens.

Getting hungry between meals I've heard plenty of, but not feeling so tired. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it is not typical. Is there any chance you could be diabetic? If there is, I'd suggest you stop trying No S until you get checked out.

It's also possible it is a coincidence.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Beth32

Post by Beth32 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:59 pm

This is how the first couple of weeks were for me. I wouldn't consider myself a sugar junkie by any means but not having those little shots of it throughout the day really made me feel crappy. And I didn't have the energy to do the exercises I was used to.

But...that went away. My body got used to it and things started becoming easier to handle. Also, I got less and less hungry between meals.

I would also embrace what others have said and think about changing your meals to accomodate getting enough to eat throughout the day during your three meal allowance. That 'overfill' sensation then absolute hunger really does go away. You just gotta stick with it.
Trying this three meals at a time.
Starting St. Paddy's Day 2014 HT: 5'3 WT:186
1 mo in: 4-17-14 WT: 179.4 6.6# down! (3 red N days this month)
2 mo in: 5-18-14 WT: 183 3# down (Just back from vacation...)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm

When I started a new diet (before No S), I would feel like a limp dishrag for a while because I came off of junk food and overeating as my normal eating style.